Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach not working and hard starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Tach not working and hard starting.

Awhileback I went from an M6 to an A4 and changed out the wiring harness etc. The car has never been hard to start, but now it is. It takes about 7-8 revolutions for it to fire up. I'm assuming it maybe the tune?

Also the tach is not working, but I have a Aerforce Interceptor gauge and it reads the RPM's fine. My window switch also works fine, but the damn RPM gauge sits still.

Any help with those two issues will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
FormerVendor

check out cam position sensor ...it tells the PCM if it is on compression stroke or exhaust stroke ... The PCM is smart to tell itself what stroke it is actually on without or without the signal,and will eventualy fire.It just takes a lot of cranking time. Check and see if you are throwing any codes it will help! Post them up ASAP. It may be a faulty crank position sensor as you have no tach... always check your work when you have changed out something or other.

Brent Malone

P.S. my sig sucks ....FTW!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

P.S.S
I do not know what a Aero interface gauge is??? But after installing a after market Tach on a LS2 I did have to install a 4.7k resistor in between the tach signal and a 12v reference in order to get the PPR enough signal voltage to amplify the weak signal from the PCM (special thanks to John @ spreartech) I think you may have problems in the cam sync... I hope this helps

Brent Malone
Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the cam sensor.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Captain,
I agree with the other guys. It's likely the cam sensor.

However, your aftermarket tach may be loading down the crankshaft position sensor that "reads" the reluctor wheel. I'd disconnect the aftermarket tach and see if anything gets better. Also, without knowing what the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) are, you can't really troubleshoot this problem.

Steve
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the replys. Please allow me to explain what this gauge is. First off I don't have an aftermarket tach, the gauge looks like this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ce+Interceptor

It reads all the parameters of the engine, and it also reads the RPM's as well. If the cam positon sensor was bad, would the PCM still be able to read RPMs as it appears to do now?

And I never got a ses light to come on.

I really appreciate the help, guys.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

This is Capt. under a different name.

After changing out the cam position sensor, it still starts hard and the tach is still not working. It is throwing a p0343 code I believe. After doing a search there doesn't seem to be many people who can answer what could be causing this. I have seen where it could be a loose timing chain, but the timing chain has 41k miles on it. This didn't start till we did the A4 swap, which means we didn't touch the engine internally. We can read the RPM's through HP tuners, but that is all.
It has done this even before the rebuild of my engine, and it is still doing it now.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Second Club

I guess this is a tough question to answer...
Old 04-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Launching!

The car did this before the new motor. Now the new motor has a new cam and a new crank so it can't be the reluctor wheels. The car also has a new cam position sensor. The crank position sensor is working because HPT is picking up RPM. The only thing I can think of is that the cam is walking for some reason and the reluctor wheel is not matching up with the sensor. But the engine has ZERO miles on it and only a few minutes of running time. The only constant between the two engines is the timing chain. I know the cam bolts were tightened correctly and I don't think they could back out in such a short time. Also when the car did this before on the old engine the old cam bolts were not loose. So I guess that leaves the timing chain?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Launching!

I also wonder if it could be the PCM or harness. This started after is M6 to A4 swap. If something in the harness/PCM is interupting the cam position signal it would have the same effect. It's not the tach not working that bothers me, it's the hard starting and rough sound of the engine. We checked the wiring last night for any cuts or kinks but didn't see anything out of ordinary. ?????????
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tach gets its signal from the Crank position sensor, my starter overheated and it cooked my crank sensor harness, drop the starter and tale a test light to the wires at the PCM for both sensors
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dheck
I also wonder if it could be the PCM or harness. This started after is M6 to A4 swap. If something in the harness/PCM is interupting the cam position signal it would have the same effect. It's not the tach not working that bothers me, it's the hard starting and rough sound of the engine. We checked the wiring last night for any cuts or kinks but didn't see anything out of ordinary. ?????????
definate wiring problem
Old 08-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
Awhileback I went from an M6 to an A4 and changed out the wiring harness etc. The car has never been hard to start, but now it is. It takes about 7-8 revolutions for it to fire up. I'm assuming it maybe the tune?

Also the tach is not working, but I have a Aerforce Interceptor gauge and it reads the RPM's fine. My window switch also works fine, but the damn RPM gauge sits still.

Any help with those two issues will be greatly appreciated!
Mine is doing this to anyone figured it out? Shop is telling me bad cam sensor
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Are you by chance using a cam extension harness?
Old 08-02-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably a bad ground wire on the drivers side rear cylinder head

Quick Reply: Tach not working and hard starting.