Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i keep my asp crank pulley stop spinning while i'm trying to install it? (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i keep my asp crank pulley stop spinning while i'm trying to install it? (A4)

it just keeps spinning no matter what i do. any help would be great. thanks

<small>[ April 11, 2002, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Paul D. ]</small>
Old 04-11-2002, 10:58 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Default Re: how do i keep my asp crank pulley stop spinning while i'm trying to install it? (A4)

The ASP pulley isn't spinning. You are turning the crankshaft over when trying to tighten the bolt down.

You need to either purchase a flywheel lock from Kent-Moore or remove the starter and wedge a big-screwdriver in there to keep the flexplate from moving.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: how do i keep my asp crank pulley stop spinning while i'm trying to install it? (A4)

where do i purchase a kent more flywheel lock and how does it work? thanks
Old 04-11-2002, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paul D.:
<strong>where do i purchase a kent more flywheel lock and how does it work? thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It bolts in place of the starter and has teeth which lock against the flywheel to prevent it from turning.

Also, make sure you use a new crank bolt for the final torque sequence. Use the old bolt to pre-seat the pulley then use the new bolt to keep it on.

Shane
Old 04-12-2002, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Paul D.:
<strong>where do i purchase a kent more flywheel lock and how does it work? thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can go to walmart and buy yourself a 20 dollar impact wrench like I did.It works off of your car battery and it takes off anything.No air compressor needed here bro.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i'm actually putting the pulley back on. its on well over 150lbs right now. i can tell cause that's what my torque wrench goes up too. i don't think an impact wrench would work. the whole crank would just start spinning. i need to find a way to keep the crank from turning over. i think i'm just gonna drive it to the shop like this and hope the belt doesn't fall off. its on there pretty good. i just need it to go on about a 1/4 inch more and it should be good. thanks for the help though guys.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm going tobe doing this mod soon also, how much is the kent-moore part to keep the flywheel from moving?
Old 04-12-2002, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a big screw driver in the lower inspection hole on the converter cover (front of tranny). Wedged between the flexplate and housing.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<strong>it just keeps spinning no matter what i do. any help would be great. thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can also use a chain wrench. That way you don't have to remove the starter.

Quick Reply: how do i keep my asp crank pulley stop spinning while i'm trying to install it? (A4)