Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am not liking my Kooks LTs + GMMG catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I am not liking my Kooks LTs + GMMG catback

This is more trouble than its worth, IMO. I absolutely love the sound, but the clearance issues i'm having is driving me nuts. The Y-pipe is slammed on the bottom of the car, along w/ the intermediate pipe, and every decent size bump/dip in the road that I hit, my axle knocks the exhaust to the bottom of the car.

Back when I had just the GMMG catback, NONE of these problems existed. Ever since I put these Kooks headers on the car, its been hell. I love the sound, but I'm not sure its worth the aggrevation.

Yes, we put the mufflex bumpstop bracket on the car and that didn't fix the problem.

Yes, I'm on the stock motor mounts, but that will have very little to do w/ this considering the exhaust is touching the car at all times... turned off or running.

Anyone else have any of these issues w/ their headers? Did you just say "screw it... thats headers for ya." And live w/ it? Or did you put them on and everything is acting exactly as it should w/ no clearance issues.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
This is more trouble than its worth, IMO. I absolutely love the sound, but the clearance issues i'm having is driving me nuts. The Y-pipe is slammed on the bottom of the car, along w/ the intermediate pipe, and every decent size bump/dip in the road that I hit, my axle knocks the exhaust to the bottom of the car.

Back when I had just the GMMG catback, NONE of these problems existed. Ever since I put these Kooks headers on the car, its been hell. I love the sound, but I'm not sure its worth the aggrevation.

Yes, we put the mufflex bumpstop bracket on the car and that didn't fix the problem.

Yes, I'm on the stock motor mounts, but that will have very little to do w/ this considering the exhaust is touching the car at all times... turned off or running.

Anyone else have any of these issues w/ their headers? Did you just say "screw it... thats headers for ya." And live w/ it? Or did you put them on and everything is acting exactly as it should w/ no clearance issues.
You should not be having serious problems with Kooks headers and Y pipe. Can you post some photos? Lots of people have the same system. They should be able to help.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed. You shouldn't have hardly any problems, especially with kooks. Sounds to me like you need to adjust some of your driving habits...

What springs are you on?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Agreed. You shouldn't have hardly any problems, especially with kooks. Sounds to me like you need to adjust some of your driving habits...

What springs are you on?
my driving habbits? This is a DD. Its not a race car and I drive it like a DD.

Its got a Prokit on it.

I'll go take some pics
Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

my driving habbits? This is a DD. Its not a race car and I drive it like a DD.

Its got a Prokit on it.

I'll go take some pics
All I can say is it's either not tucked up high enough or you're not taking it careful around bumps/inclines. You should have no problems if you're on a prokit if you're careful. Do you take bumps really slow at an angle?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
All I can say is it's either not tucked up high enough or you're not taking it careful around bumps/inclines. You should have no problems if you're on a prokit if you're careful. Do you take bumps really slow at an angle?
We miss-understood each other. I appologize.

Its not clearance issues w/ the ground... its clearance issues w/ the car. Its touching the bottom of the car all of the time... vibrating the hell out of the inside.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Ypipe:

And the intermediate pipe:

Old 05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that exact same setup with ZERO problems. It could take some adjusting to get it right. Honestly, after I bolted the headers on and set everything up, I didn't even have to get back under the car. Everything fit right the first time and needed no adjusting. Sorry you're having problems. Is there anything else that could be causing your bumps? Did you recently install SFCs and maybe a LCA is not snugged down right? Any issues with your tranny mount or Torque Arm? Like you said, the sound it totally bad ***, I'd hate to see you have to switch. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
I have that exact same setup with ZERO problems. It could take some adjusting to get it right. Honestly, after I bolted the headers on and set everything up, I didn't even have to get back under the car. Everything fit right the first time and needed no adjusting. Sorry you're having problems. Is there anything else that could be causing your bumps? Did you recently install SFCs and maybe a LCA is not snugged down right? Any issues with your tranny mount or Torque Arm? Like you said, the sound it totally bad ***, I'd hate to see you have to switch. Good luck.

BMR weld-on SFCs were installed 4.5 years ago and no LCAs. None of the problems started until I put the headers on. I got the shop that installed them to see what they could do and the problems all went away for about a week... then it came back. I imagine what metal (heatshield) he bent out of the way took back its original shape.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Launching!

I have Kooks Long tube header with emissions, kooks ORY, GMMG Cat back

Here is the clearence that I have at the Y-pipe

Here is what I had to do to stop the noises I had after the cam install it looks like hell, but it works!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Launching!

oh and I have the passenger side heat shield completely removed it also made a lot of noise
Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Are u running the stock tunnel brace? When i switched to a 2.5in Y-pipe mine was touching the floor too. Switched out to an aftermarket one and fixed the problem, seems the stocker was tucking the center section too high and causing the issue.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Summit, Where the I-Pipe is hitting in the back (like in your pic), it sounds like a rock in a Foldger's coffee can from inside thecar. Did yours make that sound? Did what your "fix" illiminate the sound?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Launching!

yeah thats what mine sounded like and to put that there I had to use a pry bar to get it between the floor and pipe, so its really tight fit. It also eliminated some of the exhaust tips from shaking too. One other thing I removed was the passenger side heat shield because it was making a lot of noise too. I haven't had any problems with it being removed and its been like that for 10,000+ miles. Good luck
Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Do you have stock motor mounts in your car?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I may try that as well... what did you use on the I-Pipe? I don't want to put anything on there that'll damage or be damaged due to the exhaust heat.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Summit2345
Do you have stock motor mounts in your car?
Yes, i do. i mentioned it in the 1st post that it shouldnt have much to do w/ whats going on since its touching all by itself w/out me cranking up the car.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Launching!

well its actually at silicone connector for a charge pipe on a turbo kit. I had it laying around from a friends turbo civic and I cut it in half, stuck it in there with a hose clamp
Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Yes, i do. i mentioned it in the 1st post that it shouldnt have much to do w/ whats going on since its touching all by itself w/out me cranking up the car.
I had stock in my car and you wouldn't believe how much the motor moved until I got polly motor mounts. My stock motor mounts had 25,000miles and I don't think that they were worn out, but the new ones made a big difference
Old 05-28-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting the headers and y pipe so the intermediate pipe and GMMG system fit right takes a little time and patience but with stock mounts, etc. you should have no problems. Take your time, start with the whole thing loosely fitted and clamped and work your way back - you'll get it done.