Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making My Own Mufflers, D%#& It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone think of a muffler brand that has the inlet and outlet on the same end?

That would save me some work. I know the Flowmaster 80 is offered that way, but I don't like their sound. Any others?

Below is a Magnaflow with 2.5" ends. If I knew there were two seperate tubes inside I could cut it in have and make 2 smaller mufflers from it. Most ones I've seen like this had the tubes crossed together, though.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Here's a question for you guys, if I could make a side exit exhaust behind both of the front wheels, should I?

It's like the Mercedes SLR Mclaren style.
It would take some getting used to, thats for sure. I know you are trying to make this set up as quiet as possible but I think you would still get alot of sound coming in, especially with the windows down.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the subject of the hush powers, my uncle had to use them because of his neighbors. They had the cops come out every time he fired his 70 Camaro up. He had a stroked 400, 434ci running on alcohol. This thing was LOUD, it was just a 12" piece off of the collecor with turn downs. So he put the hush powers on and dumped it right off of the exhaust and it is actually tolerable now. They did not hurt his times either, 6.1x's in the 1/8, consistently. I think these would be a good, and then just put a cutout after for your show off mode.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like it loud, just not at a steady cruise speed. I've been running with no mufflers and the pipes cut off right after the cats, afterall.

I don't think I'd have to get used to the side exhaust, would I? I mean the SLR has them and it's a quiet luxury car, just with a mean bite. It should be much better than dumped under the floor like it is now.

I have no idea about what tips to run, either. The ones I used in the pic seem pretty nice if I could find them anywhere for sale.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are a few modded muffler designs.

I wonder if the Magnaflow camaro muffler would flow well if you capped off one end?

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-03-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Side exhaust up front is going to put you in the cloud,
when stopped. I have side dumps on El Squalido, by
the rear wheels and it still gets a bit pungent sometimes.

The variable muffler, is something I have notions regarding.
I have picked up a Jeep cruise control vacuum servo and
a junk E-cutout, figuring to replace the gear motor cluster
with a bellcrank and spring (for open) and let the vac servo
hold it closed except at/near WOT. Liable to make startup
a bit boomy, like it isn't already. There are probably other
ways like having a WOT pedal switch and just running it
electrically, but electric is slow.

A WOT-only cutout is the best of both worlds, as long
as it's reliable. It would be great if one of the cutout
vendors made a vacuum actuated one with the biscuit
close-in. I bet a vacuum advance can might do as well
as the cruise control idea as long as the right close-
spring is used.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Facts's about the SLR exhaust:
The SLR exhaust system features four catalytic converters - two on each side - and secondary air injection, which together ensure extremely low exhaust emissions. After the main converter housing, exhaust flows into a muffler located just behind each front wheel. The mufflers (each over five gallons in volume) are designed for low exhaust back pressure and consist of precisely calculated acoustic sections that produce the characteristic SLR engine sound.

The exhaust exits via a pair of 2½-inch stainless-steel pipes on each side of the car. Another reminder of the 1950s racer, the side pipes allow the underside of the car to be entirely smooth, which plays a crucially important role in the car's excellent aerodynamics and high-speed stability.

I'm posting this because ever since I saw this car a few years ago I always wondered how they did that exhaust. Now we know.

More details on the car:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/2031121.001/1.html

There are also some cool vids on them as well.
Exhaust sounds:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Ak-QVKB1YI
It mainly has a real low, deep rumble.

SLR racing a Bugatti Veyron. You gotta see this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_ivVh1Wntg

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-03-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Side exhaust up front is going to put you in the cloud,
when stopped. I have side dumps on El Squalido, by
the rear wheels and it still gets a bit pungent sometimes.
What do you mean? Exhaust fumes?

I have them dumped under the front floorboards and have sat idling with the windows down and up for long periods and have not noticed any fumes or odors. Wouldn't engine tuning also effect it?

I do still have the stock cats in place, maybe they are killing the fumes and odors?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The variable muffler, is something I have notions regarding.
I have picked up a Jeep cruise control vacuum servo and
a junk E-cutout, figuring to replace the gear motor cluster
with a bellcrank and spring (for open) and let the vac servo
hold it closed except at/near WOT. Liable to make startup
a bit boomy, like it isn't already. There are probably other
ways like having a WOT pedal switch and just running it
electrically, but electric is slow.

A WOT-only cutout is the best of both worlds, as long
as it's reliable. It would be great if one of the cutout
vendors made a vacuum actuated one with the biscuit
close-in. I bet a vacuum advance can might do as well
as the cruise control idea as long as the right close-
spring is used.
I think as long as there is spring pressure to hold it open, you will be OK. There's a lot of ways to piece one together. I remember my old 78 GM PU had a vacuum canister that controlled a valve in the passenger side exhaust manifold. It partially closed to help warm the engine up or some nonsense like that. I put headers on it. Anyway, it was designed for high heat applications and was about 4" around I think. Not too big. Something like that from a junkyard would probably work real well.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I forget what those valves are called. I found a few neat pics, though.

Now that I put some more thought into it, they are kind of like EGR valves. Remember the vacuum type that mounted on the intake? They are hi temp. You could find them cheap at the salvage yard and then remove the valve part and just use the vacuum part.

I was thinking you could use one from a AC flap inside the dash. Most cars use these, but they may not hold up to the heat.

The hard part will be the actual valve. Where can I get some old cutouts for cheap?

Appearantly, some of the newer sport bikes also have exhaust valves to control the sound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZX636...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-03-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see that Spintech makes a split chamber muffler with the in and out on the same side. I didn't care for the sound of them based on the video's they have on their website, but I decided to take another look. I went over to YouTube and did a Spintech search and found a lot of GTO's with them. Man do they sound good on the LSX motors. The more I listened, the more I like them. Check it out and tell me what you think.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=spintech+&hl=en

Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it looks like you found the best one right there^^. It says its the best reverse flow muffler with out a doubt

I wonder what it sounds like
Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have to take their flow numbers with a grain of salt. Anyway, they do sound awesome. Just click the link I provided to hear some videos.

I think the split chambers are basically the Sportsman, but are 2" longer and 1.5" wider to reroute the gas back to the front.

Really, all I need to figure out is where to do a side exit. Right behind the front wheel or further back. I'm wondering about the fumes while sitting still. I have cats right now, but won't with the new exhaust, so I don't know what will happen.

If you remember the SLR Mclaren with it's side exhaust, it uses 4 converters plus a air injection system to keep the exhaust clean. I'm not going to have that, so I'm not sure what to think.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know Spintech will custom make a muffler if the price is right, so I'm going to call them and see about making a single 4x9x20 muffler with 2 inlets and a single large outlet like I was thinking of making myself. This would definetly improve my ground clearance and put the exit on the passenger side which may help as far as fumes go. If I built a backpressure valve I would just need one instead of two which would save money.

Another alternative is to get 2 of the Sportman mufflers and have the drivers side made thinner, say 3" tall, so it will tuck up higher. With that setup I could have the exits on both sides. I don't know, I'll call and see what they have to say.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a side exit spintech on my truck and it sounded sick
Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's been a while since I posted here. I've been doing a lot of experimenting. So here are the different setups I've had and some notes on their sound:

Stock Manifolds and Cats:

1. Magnaflow muffler in rear.
This had a nice quiet idle and got a little loud at higher RPMs, but was just too quiet for my tastes. It was a bit louder than stock, but had a much nicer sound.

2. Cut off the rear and added a turndown in the middle of the I pipe.
Now this was pretty loud, especially at high RPMs, but could still be daily driven. It was a little too loud to have a conversation with. You had to raise your voice to be heard, but I liked it a lot. I had it this way for about 4 years.

3. Cut off Y pipe right behind the cats and added turn downs.
Just too loud. Simple turndowns gave a very puffy sound under deceleration and sounded like crap.

4. Same, but added short resonator tips instead of turndowns.
The resonators totally changed the deceleration sound. It became much smoother and mellower and sounded great, but was still too loud for a daily driver.

Stock Manifolds and Gutted Cats:

5. Returned Y pipe and added a glasspack (26" body) in place of I pipe with turndown.
I had to put the Y pipe back in to reduce the noise. This long glasspack was just too quiet for my tastes.

6. Same, but shortened the glasspack (about a 12" body).
Now we're talking. The shorter length and and relatively small 2" diameter was a rather unique combination. It was still quiet and idle and cruise speeds, but really screamed above 4K. It was a very nice compromise and I should have stopped here.

7. Seperated the Y pipe and added 2nd glasspack shortened to 14" body on passenger side.
I just had to hear what having 2 sound sources was like so I "dualed" it out. The 2 mufflers helped reduce restriction, but it really changed the sound for the worst. Idle and low speed cruise speeds were noticable louder and it no longer got real loud at high RPMs. It was rather disapointing.

8. Replaced shortened glasspack with new 18" one.
The short passenger side was a bit louder than the drivers side so I swapped in a longer muffler to make them more even volume wise. The overall noise level got a biit lower as they were now much closer to the same volume levels, but it still sounded too loud at low RPM's and not loud enough at high RPM's.

9. Same, but added 1" diameter tubing inside of both glasspacks.
So what I deduced was that the higher pressure the single glasspack saw at higher RPM's caused the exhaust velocity to increase inside the muffler so it did not have time to absorb the sound waves as it did at lower speeds. So based on this I added the 1" tubes to the inside of each muffler. What they do is still allow the sounds waves to be absorbed but speed up the velocity at higher RPMs, just like with the single glasspack. It worked very well. Low speed volumes are fairly quiet, but they get much louder at the higher RPMs. It still needs a bit of tuning, but it's pretty good sounding.

These glasspacks are the Cherrybomb ones with a 2" core diameter and a 3.5" outer diameter. Both the 2.25 and 2.5 inlets have the same 2" core size.
http://www.cherrybomb.com/glasspacks-front.html

I've also been in contact with the guys at Spintech and I think I will ultimately run a pair of their Cruiser series mufflers under each front floorboard right behind the headers with no cats. I'll either dump them down or to the side. The cruisers are supposed to have that same high pitched whine at high RPMs that the prostreets have, but with less volume levels. Since the total exhaust path length will be super short I'm betting they will be louder than the typical install which should be perfect. They are only 2" thick so they should fit nicely.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-02-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting very close to building a set of duals for an F body using a Flowmaster muffler that I never knew they made.

Its a 40 series race muffler. There have been tons of people over the years wanting to do this but the mufflers were so big. Well I found this muffler that is a race muffler but 2 chambers so it should be alot more refined than the single chamber flows.

The muffler is 4"X8"X9". I also found a longer 1 chamber that has a 10" case that should be quieter than the 6.25" case one chambers.

Also check out the short Magnaflow muffler in this pic.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been thinking about making my own also. But just taking my spintech prostreet and making it smaller. Re arranging and removing some of the coils. Basically making it fit in the place of a bullet just slightly bigger.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I am getting very close to building a set of duals for an F body using a Flowmaster muffler that I never knew they made.

Its a 40 series race muffler. There have been tons of people over the years wanting to do this but the mufflers were so big. Well I found this muffler that is a race muffler but 2 chambers so it should be alot more refined than the single chamber flows.

The muffler is 4"X8"X9". I also found a longer 1 chamber that has a 10" case that should be quieter than the 6.25" case one chambers.

Also check out the short Magnaflow muffler in this pic.

Do you have a link to those?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should just make your own car man. The stuff you have going on in your head about custom projects blows my mind.

Quick Reply: Making My Own Mufflers, D%#& It!