Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a catback on your own?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a catback on your own?

Any potential problems I could run into? I bought a used GMMG and was thinking of giving it a go putting it in tonight. I don't have a lift so I'll have to use jackstands. I just figured I'd try to jack the car up as high as I could and go for it. The GMMG is complete to the over the axle pipe and then I have the intermediate. Any advice?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the SLP Loudmouth with just the rear end lifted up high and didnt have any problems. Good luck man GMMG is a NICE setup.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The toughest part will most likely be getting the old system off. Just make sure you have the car up high enough to work under and it should be pretty straight forward.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

i put the GMMG on in less than an hour. its very easy and straigh forward. Like ^ said, the most time consumeing and toughest part is getting the old crap out of the way. good luck, you will LOVE IT!!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I like doing cat-backs with Ramps. I put them behind the rear tires and back up on them. I like doing this because it leaves the rear suspension at ride level so its easier to check for clearance and all that stuff.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

One of the most simple things you can do in my opinion (I did it and I'm barely a step above retarded...depending on how many beers I've had)

I had no use at all for my stock system so I just used a sawzall and made about three cuts and it came right out!

Just make sure you have everything lined up properly before you start tightening the new exhaust in place.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

If you're using band clamps, put a few folded layers of aluminum foil over the joint and then clamp over that, it will ensure you dont have any small leaks.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just adding it up in my head, and I have installed a total of 6 catback systems. I never had a problem with any of them, it was always getting the old system off.

On the last one, I wised up and did what I should have in the beginning, which was to buy a reciprocating saw. It will save your sanity.

Sawzall for the win.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Its easy man, trust me.

I did mine on jack stands, a recip. saw with a metal blade is your best bet, but we cut ours off by hand with a exhaust pipe cutter. That and getting the exhaust lined up so it wasnt hitting anything and straight was the hardest part.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

+1 for being easy
My bother and I just installed a LM2 on my car. Tha hardest part was getting the old system off. (It wouldn't come off the Y pipe). We eventually had to use a come-a-long to get it off. Then we cut it to get it out. It wouldn't come out in ine piece eventhough we dropped the rear axle a little.
Good luck
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Wow, thanks for all the tips guys!

Well, I ran into my first problem. I started to take the stock off, then I remembered something I hadn't done on the used GMMG. Whoever took it off cut it and left about 6 inches (more like 10 if you count the part that was inside of the over the axle pipe) of the intermediate pipe attached. It was welded at the seam. I figured no big deal, I'll cut it as close to the weld as I can. I did and then realized "Duh, it's still welded, so I ground down all the weld and when you look straight on you can see the two individual pipes now. But now I can't get that last 4 inches or so out of the over the axle pipe so the new intermediate can slide into it. I now realize that I should have probably just ground the weld from the outside and then pulled it out using the piece that was sticking out but in my complete STUPIDITY, I didn't think of that. Does that make sense what I have now? Any suggestions on how to get it out? I tried taking a huge screwdriver and hooking it under the lip on the inside, but that's not really working. I can't really get ahold of that inside pipe with anything. I had talked to a local exhaust shop and might wind up taking it to him in the morning just for the sake of ease, but I hate paying him to do something I know I can do if I could just get this stupid piece of pipe out!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Either try a puller or a couple of pipe wrenches and twist the hell out of it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

What kind of puller?

How would I use the pipe wrenches? The pipe is on the inside of the other one completely, almost flush to the top. The inside one is about 1/16" lower. I thought of maybe just trying to cut the outside down a little and leave the lip of the inside exposed, but I'm not sure how easy that'll be.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1NUT26
Either try a puller or a couple of pipe wrenches and twist the hell out of it.
I think he said he cut it too close and is unable to grab on to it with anything.

Maybe if the weld has been totally ground off some penatrating oil would do the trick. Let it sit overnight and give it a go in the morning. If that does not work then the muffler shop might be the only option.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

as I see it, you have two options:

1. cut the piece off altogether, and get a new piece of stainless exhaust tubing welded in to replace it. stainless works should sell you a piece, but you might find some locally??

2. you need something to pull the smaller section out. I'm thinking of a tailpipe expander. you could expand it to grab onto the ID od the smaller pipe, but not enough to actually flare the outer pipe. they rent them at autozone, I think. Just an idea.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Well after quite awhile I was able to get the pipe out and should be able to actually start on installing it today. One more quick question. Once the old is off and I've hung the back part of the catback, is it easier to put the intermediate in the over the axle first or the Y first?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

I had a hard time getting my SLP dual/dual off over the axel, but a hammer did the trick eventually. This was on a jack high in the air. I didn't want to cut it or anything because I was trading it with a guy on here for his SLP Loudmouth.

I'll see how hard it is to put it on soon enough, hopefully not at all.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Just an update. The exhaust is on and it sounds AWESOME. Add me to the list of ecstatic GMMG owners. If anyone's thinking about one, GET IT!

Search this Thread