Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Being Slow...FINALLY All Systems Go!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

did he weld the cats to the headers???? I wound up getting my y welded to my headers also--nice smooth bead...it is really no big deal unless it is an underneath showcar...beats band clamps anyway..although that is what i had before the cats went on for emissions...3# band clamps are all and good..but welding is the best...no worries/hassles/intermittent tightening....
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
looks good.... ...although the merge only makes up for the kinks in the pipe.....should have got a mandrel bent y and let the guy go from there..sounds good i bet though, huh.!!!! .. ...
Meh, the bends won't matter at all. There's no rasp at all in the system, which to me means the merge is great and the bends are not causing the air to lose velocity. If the air was losing velocity due to the bends, it should be crashing into itself all weird and causing rasp. Even with the engine completely untuned and running a tad rough, the sound is clean (though very raw).
Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
did he weld the cats to the headers???? I wound up getting my y welded to my headers also--nice smooth bead...it is really no big deal unless it is an underneath showcar...beats band clamps anyway..although that is what i had before the cats went on for emissions...3# band clamps are all and good..but welding is the best...no worries/hassles/intermittent tightening....
Yea, they're welded to the headers. I didn't ask him to, he just did it on his own. I wasn't happy to see the cats welded to the headers at all. I didn't want to be a jerk and complain, but I was kind of upset inside. Now that I think about it, I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm never planning on selling the car, I bought stainless headers because they last forever and will never need to be removed, I will NEVER have a leak thanks to the welds and if I need new cats, I'll just cut off the old ones and weld new ones in the place. Because the exhaust is all one piece, there is no flex, no banging and it's rock solid. Meh, whatever...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you gotta take the headers off for WHATEVER reason, get the car high enough and it wont make a difference. Vids!!

-J
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

now save and get a stall.....best mod ive done....the headers are a good one to though....I just cut my custom y off goin true duals....ive got the speed bug
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
If you put a set of QTP's next to a set of Pacesetters, you'd gasp. The Pacesetters would look like a toy. They're not nearly as long as a set of QTP's which is one reason why QTP's will outperform Pacesetters significantly. ...
not quite. i removed pacesetters for qtps last week and the difference wasnt anything worth advertising. side by side. all the size diff is in the collector and its not that much.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

id take that back to him and tell him to put the merge i gave him in, get rid of the crush bends, and put some flanges or slip fits somewhere otherwise u will never be able to get that tranny out without cutting ur **** apart.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Teching In

Default Qtp

Hey Choco,
I have a brand new block off plate you can have if you want it. PM with your phone # and you can come and get it or I'll meet you some where on Rt 30. Also really interested in getting that shops phone #. I want my gears done soon. Let me know.....
Don
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
id take that back to him and tell him to put the merge i gave him in, get rid of the crush bends, and put some flanges or slip fits somewhere otherwise u will never be able to get that tranny out without cutting ur **** apart.
Good call.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
I don't need the merge. He made one. There's no rasp so I know it's working well and I can send it back and save $50. The flanges or slip fits will leak, the welds will not. If I ever need to pull the tranny, he'll probably be the one doing it, so I'll worry about it then. Why cut up the exhaust now for no reason and cause leaks when there doesn't have to be any?

It's not a show car, so I guess the welds will be fine. Nothing will perform better than a weld, and since I'd have to cut it all up anyway to change it, I may as well not even worry.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cbrracer
Hey Choco,
I have a brand new block off plate you can have if you want it. PM with your phone # and you can come and get it or I'll meet you some where on Rt 30. Also really interested in getting that shops phone #. I want my gears done soon. Let me know.....
Don
Wow from stratford, i grew up in somerdale.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need the merge. He made one. There's no rasp so I know it's working well and I can send it back and save $50.

LOL! Choco, you can't tell how well a merge is working based on the sound it makes. Just because you think it sounds good doesn't mean it's performing well. Maybe it's a bad picture, but the merge he made you looks like absolute hell. The two banks almost run straight into each other before heading into the oval---more of a "near head-on collision" than a "merge". I agree with ls2bait here. Who is this mechanic to decide NOT TO USE the parts YOU GAVE HIM?????....especially when they are far superior to what he slapped together!! I'd be livid and wouldn't pay a dime until it's the way YOU wanted it done.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those pictures look familar.

Sick setup.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369]I don't need the merge. He made one.

Ummkay.......but that merge looks like I thought you were the guy who's posted on here a zillion times, "Do it right or don't do it at all". That's exactly the reason I bought a prefabbed STAINLESS y-pipe from ARH. These muffler shops never seem to do it as well. Hey, it's up to you though...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Try loosening the two intermediate shaft bolts (13mm I think) and try to wiggle it up OR down to see if that helps with your clearance issues. I'm sure that will get that squared away. I wish I could see the pics' from this computer...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
LOL! Choco, you can't tell how well a merge is working based on the sound it makes. Just because you think it sounds good doesn't mean it's performing well. Maybe it's a bad picture, but the merge he made you looks like absolute hell. The two banks almost run straight into each other before heading into the oval---more of a "near head-on collision" than a "merge". I agree with ls2bait here. Who is this mechanic to decide NOT TO USE the parts YOU GAVE HIM?????....especially when they are far superior to what he slapped together!! I'd be livid and wouldn't pay a dime until it's the way YOU wanted it done.
Here's a better pic of it:

The merge is miles ahead of most prefab y-pipes out there. It looks pretty good in person. He knows what he's doing. He's extremely meticulous, an honest guy and it looks pretty decent in person. Also, sound is a decent way to determine if the merge is okay. Longtubes, open cutout and ZERO rasp is a good indicator that the merge is decent.

The exhaust sounds like total crap (like a farm truck ) but there's no popping or gurgling.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The merge is miles ahead of most prefab y-pipes out there. It looks pretty good in person. He knows what he's doing.
It looks no better than a pacesetter y-pipe....a good Y merge will have the 2 banks run side by side before they merge, much like your flowmaster merge that he didn't use.

Also, sound is a decent way to determine if the merge is okay. Longtubes, open cutout and ZERO rasp is a good indicator that the merge is decent.
And you're basing this on what exactly???? There is absolutely no correlation between sound and how well your exhaust scavenges/flows. If someone told you this, they're wrong. If you made this up, then you're wrong. The merge this guy made you is inferior in every way to the one you wanted him to put on in the first place, and I think deep down you realize that. Hey, as long as you're happy/satisfied and can live with it, more power to ya. Cap your cutout and get a soundclip up.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
And you're basing this on what exactly???? There is absolutely no correlation between sound and how well your exhaust scavenges/flows. If someone told you this, they're wrong. If you made this up, then you're wrong. The merge this guy made you is inferior in every way to the one you wanted him to put on in the first place, and I think deep down you realize that. Hey, as long as you're happy/satisfied and can live with it, more power to ya. Cap your cutout and get a soundclip up.
I am sure it's inferior to the Flowmaster merge. I was upset to see that he didn't use it, but I don't want to pay another hour of labor to put it in there and I like the idea of returning the merge and getting $50 back. I'm sick and tired of having the car in a shop, I have a week left before I go back to school and honestly, it doesn't look that bad underneath the car.

I lost my cutout cap I gotta get a new one...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Default looks alright..

to be homemade it looks pretty good to me....but that tranny will be a **** to get out....i think it looks better than the tsp and pacesetter y pipes....JMO i looked at all them didnt like the merges either looked restrictive...we fabbed mine up from scratch well except the merge its a 3"in and 3/12" out theres a cutout weldedc directly to tit but you cant see it in this pic......

this is the setup in both vids in my sig no rasp at all...but its off the car at the moment were gonna fab up an orx or h undecided.....with 1 chambers dumped at the axle.....the y pipe sounded great but i think the td setup will net me a tenth or so at the track......

post up some vids o we can here it....
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

I don't need the merge. He made one. There's no rasp so I know it's working well and I can send it back and save $50. The flanges or slip fits will leak, the welds will not. If I ever need to pull the tranny, he'll probably be the one doing it, so I'll worry about it then. Why cut up the exhaust now for no reason and cause leaks when there doesn't have to be any?

It's not a show car, so I guess the welds will be fine. Nothing will perform better than a weld, and since I'd have to cut it all up anyway to change it, I may as well not even worry.
ya flanges or slip fits will leak....if they arent done right. mine dont leak one little bit. only thing on my y pipe that leaks is the pos qtp cutout flange. but as long as u r happy with it then thats what matters. enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be pissed if my exhaust was all welded up like that. My kooks came with nice clamps. They leaked when I first put em on, I tightened em and no more leaks.

Quick Reply: Tired of Being Slow...FINALLY All Systems Go!