Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzling problem - please read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
and if the valves are hitting your pistons then your exhaust would be the first to bend. (they are bigger Dia. hence closer to piston)

That's some great advice right there.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No compression, the rockers are OFF and the intake springs are lower than the exhaust. Im getting the crank sensor before I pull some damn heads though.

If the valves are already bent then I cant hurt anything by trying it I guess.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Recall that you initially had the cam timing so far off that you snapped the cam dowel pin?
Well I applaud you some for at least trying to help for once, even if it is with a grain of salt.

Anyway, IIRC, the dowel pin broke when he just pulled the gear off. But even if the timing was off back when that happened, the motor wasnt in the car yet, I dont see how it would have snapped the pin, being 3 bolts there and all. It still would have bent up the valves, which is what im lost on.

Was it cranked and then he realized that the timing was off one tooth? OK bent valves.

But he said the motor had compression.

EDIT: now he doesnt have compression.....bent valves...period.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Well I applaud you some for at least trying to help for once, even if it is with a grain of salt.

Anyway, IIRC, the dowel pin broke when he just pulled the gear off. But even if the timing was off back when that happened, the motor wasnt in the car yet, I dont see how it would have snapped the pin, being 3 bolts there and all. It still would have bent up the valves, which is what im lost on.
I care what you think of me. Really. It matters. I'm soaking up your approval like a chammy on a wet car. More, please.

The dowel pin came off when he pulled the cam gear off, it was likely already sheared. The three bolts are in slightly oversize holes.

Frankly, I've seen the pics and don't think he has enough muscle to snap a zip tie, so I'm scratching my head as to how the valves got bent.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Restricted User

If you dont have compression, there is no way a crank sensor is going to magically give you compression. Dont even bother buying one. YOUR VALVES ARE BENT!!! plain and simple. IT was originally off and the intake valves hit the pistons = bent intake valves. Pull the heads and replace the valve seals and valves.....
Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Tainted
No compression, the rockers are OFF and the intake springs are lower than the exhaust. Im getting the crank sensor before I pull some damn heads though.

If the valves are already bent then I cant hurt anything by trying it I guess.
Dont waste your money on the sensor, If you took the rockers off and the springs are not equal heights, then for some reason the intake valves are not returning to the valve seat, which means they are bent, simple as that.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

ughh bent valves. thats wonderful. jsut my GOD DAMN luck. See how horrible my life gets? BENT VALVES on a motor Ive put so much time and money in tis stupid and didnt even get the ****** to start.

the best thing toh appen in the alst 3 years was i got my truck and thank god for that, other than that, **** me. this is just adding to it, i need a break.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Crainholio people are on the site to help, not coming here belittling some of the fellow members that dont have the same knowledge, otherwise stay out of Charlies threads and get a life. And to boot it all, he didnt **** up anything you thought he would.

Anyway, Charlie, getting the heads off isnt that big of a deal. Afternoon to yank them, drop them off to get the work done, put them back on the following Saturday. It sucks I know, but you can handle it and your so close.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

bent valves/pushrods ahhhh that sucks!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jason, I nkow im close but it pisses me off. I dont understand what was off. I mean timing, theres NO WAY. it was dead on I turned that motor over with a socket dozens and dozens of time and each time the dots lined back up. It doesnt make sense.

Heads may not be THAT ahrd to remvoe but im still loosing head bolts and gaskets and the trouble of doing it all. its upsetting. Guess you may as well recommend me some valves.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Jason, I nkow im close but it pisses me off. I dont understand what was off. I mean timing, theres NO WAY. it was dead on I turned that motor over with a socket dozens and dozens of time and each time the dots lined back up. It doesnt make sense.

Heads may not be THAT ahrd to remvoe but im still loosing head bolts and gaskets and the trouble of doing it all. its upsetting. Guess you may as well recommend me some valves.
But what you havent answered, is you said earlier the timing was off, then you turned it over, and it stopped, wouldnt budge. The you corrected the cam because it was one tooth off, then it spun freely. Thats the most classic symptom of valves kissing the pistons. And it doesnt take much to bend one either, kinda delicate considering the role they play.

The head bolts should be reusable, the stockers are a torque to yield, not ARP's. The heads still had stock valve size didnt they? Then thats what you put back in, some stockers.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

But what you havent answered, is you said earlier the timing was off, then you turned it over, and it stopped, wouldnt budge. The you corrected the cam because it was one tooth off, then it spun freely. Thats the most classic symptom of valves kissing the pistons. And it doesnt take much to bend one either, kinda delicate considering the role they play.

The head bolts should be reusable, the stockers are a torque to yield, not ARP's. The heads still had stock valve size didnt they? Then thats what you put back in, some stockers.

the timing was off when the cam pin broke
thats before i evne ahd the intake on the motor
it wouldnt budge, but I turned it over really slow. After I saw the teeth were off I pulled the cam gear off which broke the pin off. Lined them abck up perfect and got a new pin in it. thats the only time it was off timing
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Crainholio people are on the site to help, not coming here belittling some of the fellow members that dont have the same knowledge, otherwise stay out of Charlies threads and get a life. And to boot it all, he didnt **** up anything you thought he would.
A bunch of people, me included, advised him not to undertake this on his own. I agree he's a smart guy and a whiz w/ body work from what I see, but you don't know how little you know about engines until it's too late. Especially an aluminum block LS1, which won't tolerate sloppiness as well as old iron.

Thus was his response:

Originally Posted by tainted
I think im pretty mechanically inclined given my age. this will be my first motor yes but like jason said, vie got resources uot the wazoo.

I think I can do it, if I hit any snags ill post up!
You're the guy who egged him on to go it alone...who's really helping him? He got good advice, and you helped him ignore it. Yay 4 you.

You're right, though, he did manage to hose up something other than what I listed. Good thing I didn't bet money.

He's chosen the School of Hard Knocks route, where lessons don't come cheap.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok put a sock in it. I tried, I fucked up.

where I fucked up vie got no god damn idea, maybe the heads were fucked up from speed inc cuz I know my timing is dead on.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

the timing was off when the cam pin broke
thats before i evne ahd the intake on the motor
it wouldnt budge, but I turned it over really slow. After I saw the teeth were off I pulled the cam gear off which broke the pin off. Lined them abck up perfect and got a new pin in it. thats the only time it was off timing
OK I see. Well I think you have the thought of a bent valve stem, but in this case, probably more likely it nicked just the valve, causing it not to seat properly, and not making a complete seal to the head. But thats not going to be noticeable with just the cover off, and it wouldnt be all of them.

Im not inclined to think all the compression rings are bad.

And for me being the only one egging him on, please, he wasnt egged on. Had even I told him not to, he would have done it anyway. Believe me bro, Im the most vocal one on the forum, but Im far from the only person he can call or PM. **** happens sometimes, he knew this going in. Charlie, do you feel like its my fault? Let me know and Ill make it right. If you feel like I mislead you, let me know and Ill fly out for a weekend and work on the car myself.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so uhh... silly question...

hows your timing chain?

was just thinking back to my girlfriends car and it had similar problems, it took me a bit to realize you're describing something similar...

pulled her timing, the gear was actually stripped of probably 12 teeth (aluminum timing gear, hadn't seen it before then) ...

that could cause how your car attempts to start and fails, and could also cause the bent valves.

cheaper and easier fix than say... valves, at least... give it a look
Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jason, You are a friend, and not jsut an internet friend. you have been very good to me, better than some on here especially. If you wanna fly uot here be my guest but im not gonna ask that of you. I've had so so so so much going on here im seriously about to run away for 2 weeks to indianpolis for a break of everything.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

OK, in all seriousness, is your new timing set one of those multi-keyway jobs that can be installed at 5deg retard, straight-up, or 5deg advance?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

rollmaster double roller
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok here yall this is my dad:

We originally had the timing off, but me and Charlie fixed it after we realised it was off. However we turned it by hand with a screwdriver by the bolts on the back of the crank. How did we bend the valves? I don't think we could have done that, and he corrected the timing and it was dead on when he tried to start it 2 weeks ago.

However this was a long time ago, this is why the cam pin broke, he pulled the cam gear off and it bent the pin just the wrong way and it broke it. We didn't even have the oil pan or anything on at this time, just the heads and cam and timing.

After we did correct the timing, it turned over SMOOTHLY, so why did it turn over so smooth for having bent valves?

Quick Reply: Puzzling problem - please read!