Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzling problem - please read!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007 | 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

the first time I crank it over you hear 2 pops. that was the car attempting to fire. pulled a plug out after that and spun it over and blew a shitload of gas and air out. Getting teddy to run a compression check on it this week sometime
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Hey charles in the video at like 1min and 14sec mark, I noticed a like spark coming from the throttle body. Is that a clear lid? I dont think spark in the intake is normal is it? OR was I just making a mistake!
anyone else see that?
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

might just be **** floating around or something. We never noticed any sparks, however air does come out of the intake, normally smokey air
Old 09-30-2007 | 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok I see what youre looking at. thats my throttle body blade I was trying to give it some gas and you just see the light reflecting off it
Old 09-30-2007 | 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Im pretty sure I dont hear any resistance (compression) going on there either. New head gaskets, torqued correctly? everything else is good?
Old 09-30-2007 | 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so, just a random though...

if you're pushing air out, something would be fucked up with where your valves are opening and closing...
Old 10-01-2007 | 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea head gaskets are brand new, all head bolts are torqued to the proper # in the correct sequence.
Old 10-01-2007 | 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

change the crank position sensor. if that doesnt work take off the valve cover, turn the motor over, and verify that your valve train events are in time w/ the #1 coming up to TDC.
Old 10-01-2007 | 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

k let me ask some fo the more advanced folks here about this infamous crank position sensor:

Going from the video, and assuming the cam was lined up perfect dot-to-dot (which I could swear it was) would it cause the car to have these symptoms?

The air comming out of the intake I beleive has something to do with the valves not opening and closing, but then again my lifters arent pumped up sicne the motor sat for so long, but I think getting the car to crank will pump them up.
Old 10-02-2007 | 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

After cranking for a couple seconds they should be pumped up enough to start, I don't think that's the problem. There are only a couple ways that air could be coming back out... the cam isn't lined up correctly, the cam sensor is out of whack, or the crank sensor isn't reading accurately and is firing when it shouldn't. Unlesssss..... somehow the valves are stuck open? Have you taken the valve covers off to make sure everything's ok in there?

Just thought of one thing... did you remember to put the rocker pedestal back in? If you didn't, all the valves will be staying open due to the rocker being closer than it should.
Old 10-02-2007 | 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sounds like it has very little-no compression.
Old 10-02-2007 | 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well seeing how Uncle Teds not gonna burn you on the price it might be the way to go. However since you asked when my Water Temp Sensor on my 98 freaked out the car wouldn't crank up it would just spin. You don't get any SES lites if it goes south.I don't know if the 99s retained the 98s 3 pin sensor or not. The only time I've ever had the intake reverse on me was when I cracked the head. It blew the PCV valve out the valve cover and a white mist poured out the ram air like a smoke machine. Let me know what you find out.
Old 10-03-2007 | 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok people I need yalls advice more than ever.

Teddy came over today and I pulled the valve covers. My lfiters arent pumped up and the intake springs are all slightly lwoer than my exhaust springs. He says they are all bent. Teddy is smart, but im very god damn sorry I dont see HOW. My timing is dead ******* on I know it is. I double checked with Predator Z and other to make sure my set up had plenty of PTV clearance and was always told its a very nice set up with plenty of room, so how the **** are my valves bent?

I think hes wrong and so does my dad, hes gonig tomorrow sicne gramps is terrified to spend a dollar and buying us a crank sensor. If it doesnt crank with a new crank sensor then I will say hes right, but I'll be DAMNED if i pull the heads after all this work and ****.

Opinions please, no boohoo comments or smart *** remarks, really not in the mood for them. Helpful comments only!
Old 10-03-2007 | 08:59 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

TO me it sounds like its not even trying to crank over.....like the starter solenoid is kicking on but the starter isnt turning....thats just from the video tho.....o and on these cars u dont pump the gas u just hold it down.
Old 10-03-2007 | 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Show of hands for bent valves Vs. Crank Sensor

Please...
Old 10-03-2007 | 09:18 PM
Teching In

Sorry to say , if its pushing air out the intake it has to do with bent valves , valve timing (cam phasing), incorrect push rod length or p/v clearence.

good luck hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 10-03-2007 | 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Well if you have compression, then you dont have bent valves, simple as that.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Tainted
before when the cam wasnt dot to dot it was off like 1 tooth it wouldnt even turn over it would get stuck. fixed that yadda yadda fixed the cam pin got them perfect and turned over smooth as silk.
Except for this. I know you were having a starter issue for a minute there. But this sounds like the motor wouldn't spin because the cam was off by a tooth? Because if that was the case, then you can bend valves from the timing being off. But you said you had compression? I got lost here. Give up the timeline or something.

And heres a pic from when my valve covers were off, so you can compare what youre seeing...I think there is an ever so slight angle on LS1 valves. Look at your old heads and compare.

Last edited by WS6NIGHTMARE; 10-03-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2007 | 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Well if your gonna bend valves your prolly not gonna be able to tell from rocker postion. and if the valves are hitting your pistons then your exhaust would be the first to bend. (they are bigger Dia. hence closer to piston) If your %110 sure without a doubt ur timing is on then replace the sensor (lesser of evils in $$) and then take the heads off if that doesnt help.

have you thought about unhookin ur batt for 30secs to clear any and all codes? just to clear the engines brain of anything.

good luck.
Old 10-03-2007 | 10:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
and if the valves are hitting your pistons then your exhaust would be the first to bend. (they are bigger Dia. hence closer to piston)
You actually have this backwards, the intake valves are larger than the exhaust valves. PTV clearance issues are generally just with the intake valves. The problem is if the cam was not lined up correctly the first time and the car was fired, then there is possibilities that the intake valves did contact the pistons and bend the intake valves.

And by listening to the video, there definitely isnt any compression at all. Either the valvetrain events are off, or you have bent intake valves. Have you done a compression test on all cylinders? Do this asap.
Old 10-04-2007 | 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Recall that you initially had the cam timing so far off that you snapped the cam dowel pin?

What do ya suppose stopped the cam hard enough to do that? (piston, meet valve)

When I was listening to your vid, it sounded like you didn't have spark plugs in. That's an engine making no compression. All the crank sensor in the world ain't fixing it.

You'll next be pulling the heads and putting in a few new valves...after you're done trashing the valve guides getting the bent ones out.

(When your only education comes from experience, lessons are expensive. Told ya to go buy a manual, and you just smarted off.)

Quick Reply: Puzzling problem - please read!