Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Under the axel duals...ghetto?
Yes
48.39%
No
51.61%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Duals under the axel...ghetto??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One obvious disadvantage to running them over the axle is that the more bends an exhaust system has the less efficient and heavier it is going to be. The perfect exhaust would be straight with no bends or mufflers...but we can't do that, so we have to make compromises.

2000taws6, could you post a few pics from under the car when you get the chance? I may just copy your system and get rid of the Hooker c/b I have on there now. I'm not worried about ground clearance issues (that don't exist) and if I really need to drop the rear end, I am not some p*ssy who is afraid to turn a wrench or two, nor am I afraid I will burn myself on a cool to the touch exhaust system.

Galen
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
What's the advantage with going over the axle... besides spending a few hundred $$ more?
How about being able to use four post lifts which are pretty standard at every auto shop...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Galen
One obvious disadvantage to running them over the axle is that the more bends an exhaust system has the less efficient and heavier it is going to be. The perfect exhaust would be straight with no bends or mufflers...but we can't do that, so we have to make compromises.

2000taws6, could you post a few pics from under the car when you get the chance? I may just copy your system and get rid of the Hooker c/b I have on there now. I'm not worried about ground clearance issues (that don't exist) and if I really need to drop the rear end, I am not some p*ssy who is afraid to turn a wrench or two, nor am I afraid I will burn myself on a cool to the touch exhaust system.

Galen
You obviously haven't heard of mandrel bends... And x pipes have better flow than straight pipes.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

A PROPERLY DESIGNED X pipe uses the exhaust pulses of the opposite bank to scavenge the exhaust. It isn't that an X pipe flows better, but that it serves a purpose. Any bend in a tube in which a fluid moves (yes, air is considered fluid...look it up) will cause a reduced flow rate. Mandrel bends simply make the bend smoother, causing the reduction in flow to be minimized.

As far as a 4 post lift...either your reading comprehension is REALLY lacking or maybe you just don't understand bold print...lets quote it for you. I even made it red to where you can see it better, just in case the large bold print wasn't good enough for you.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
How is it cutting a corner. And I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE OFF MY EXHAUST TO LET THE AXLE HANG. I HAVE ALSO NEVER SCRAPED THE UNDER THE AXLE PIPES.
I've scraped my collectors many times, but never the under the axle pipes and my car is lowered 1.2-1.3" with 3" duals.
I LOVE how people with absolutly no experience with this know all of the answers.
I also made red the other revilent part of the post, which you were more than happy to prove correct.

Galen
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.63 60' last night....car squatting hard....no hitting anything. Takes me five minutes longer to lift my car than someone over the axle. Still not convinced!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

A PROPERLY DESIGNED X pipe uses the exhaust pulses of the opposite bank to scavenge the exhaust. It isn't that an X pipe flows better, but that it serves a purpose. Any bend in a tube in which a fluid moves (yes, air is considered fluid...look it up) will cause a reduced flow rate. Mandrel bends simply make the bend smoother, causing the reduction in flow to be minimized.

As far as a 4 post lift...either your reading comprehension is REALLY lacking or maybe you just don't understand bold print...lets quote it for you. I even made it red to where you can see it better, just in case the large bold print wasn't good enough for you.

I also made red the other revilent part of the post, which you were more than happy to prove correct.

Galen
Next time you see a car on a lift look at how much the rear sags, at least a foot or more, don't tell me that is not gonna hit the pipes under the axle.

X pipes flow better than straight through pipes it has been proven on the dyno many times. Like I said over axle has been the way to do true duals for many years and theres a reason for it. I am no longer gonna argue this as it is a mute point, I am doing over the axle like the way it should be done...

I would like to see some of you guys go through some apartment complexes or good sized speed bumps with your under the axle setup I bet anything they are gonna scrape and bend, especially if the car is lowered.

Next thing you know people are gonna try doing under the axle on a vette which would have major clearance issues.

I mean what is so wrong about over the axle setups?? do you all have something against it or just being cheap to save some extra bucks?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I scrapped going over speed bumps with just headers and my hooker cat back.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

lol this thread is getting interesting. i mean i see the neatness and how it looks nice to have it go over the axle but i dont think there is a wrong or right answer. i mean after all speedbumps you dont have to worry about if you go at them straight or hey get this-if its too big just go around the damn thing. and if its impossible for you to do that then hey bad idea for you **** happens its what your gonna get when you get longtubes and exhaust. i vote yes on getting it for my sake it would save me some cash and hey its not like im so lazy or handicapped i cant undo a few bolts to get the pipes off on a lift. doesnt bother me in fact its more room to work with lol. i mean damn a whole few bolts holy **** your gonna die. but also i mean if you like the look of over the axle that is cool too i think this way is just a nice way to save some cash for those of us that arent married with children and have careers to spend the cash for a nice system like that. so for me it would be good to go under the axle (college student). i mean i think its wrong for someone to hate on someone for having it going under the axle especially when i see alot of these people have no idea why that person went under the axle. kind of ignorant in my opinion
Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
Next time you see a car on a lift look at how much the rear sags, at least a foot or more, don't tell me that is not gonna hit the pipes under the axle.

X pipes flow better than straight through pipes it has been proven on the dyno many times. Like I said over axle has been the way to do true duals for many years and theres a reason for it. I am no longer gonna argue this as it is a mute point, I am doing over the axle like the way it should be done...

I would like to see some of you guys go through some apartment complexes or good sized speed bumps with your under the axle setup I bet anything they are gonna scrape and bend, especially if the car is lowered.

Next thing you know people are gonna try doing under the axle on a vette which would have major clearance issues.

I mean what is so wrong about over the axle setups?? do you all have something against it or just being cheap to save some extra bucks?
There is nothing wrong with going over the axle. No one is saying that. In fact if I had the money and trusted a shop to do it right I would have gone over the axle. You are the one bashing on the way my exhaust looks and functions as well as others that have gone under the axle. You keep bringing up all these points about scraping over speed bumps and not being able to lift the car when people that actually have the exhaust are telling you other wise. I don't get it. Some people just like to talk ****. I've put a lot of time, effort and money into my car to try and make it look and perform great not for people to call it ghetto!
Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

Reading and UNDERSTANDING what you read are OBVIOUSLY not your strong points. To help you out, I found job positions perfect for your intellect. Good luck with the new career!

http://www.mcstate.com/careers/jobs/

Galen

P.S. Don't worry about thanking me, you need all the help you can get!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Reading and UNDERSTANDING what you read are OBVIOUSLY not your strong points. To help you out, I found job positions perfect for your intellect. Good luck with the new career!

http://www.mcstate.com/careers/jobs/

Galen

P.S. Don't worry about thanking me, you need all the help you can get!
:cough:under the axle sucks:cough: I am done with this thread...
Old 11-03-2007, 04:09 AM
9 Second Club

:cough:under the axle sucks:cough: I am done with this thread...
Dont worry bro! Ill be posting up our true duals over the axle with borla Xr1's and dual QTP cutouts ceramic coated SOON! I for one think under the axle duals are ok but I would never do it.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Ever hear about people bitching and complaining that their over the axle hits and clunks? Who says you lose the ability to use a lift with under the axle duals? Some people use flanges right at the muffler/axle so that they can take the tails off OR some people like myself just dont have a problem with it period. Then you have those that just can't justify/afford spending over a thousand dollars for an exhaust system. So that leaves you with the choice of under the axle duals OR a catback system with a big, ugly ******* muffler hanging in the back like a big diaper.

So tell me, which one is more "ghetto"

Clean look from behind, under the axle

or
A nice big shiny, diaper sticking out of the back with some tips?
Seeing those two pics next to each other the stock exhaust (with the diaper] does look like **** compared to the under axel set up. What mufflers are you running under your car?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

The under axle set ups are bad ***, but then again I'm biased.

I personally think they look mean as hell when done right. As was mentioned before, reminds me of the 70's vette's and also the 03-04 cobras. Much better flowing and don't have to worry about it rattling against the under side of the car.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

It's already been said, but you apparently need to hear it 5-6 times to comprehend it. My under-axle duals have better ground clearance than stock exhaust. I am lowered 1" with Bilstein level II suspension. I have never scraped. I drive over speed bumps daily. My lowest point is my header collector. I like over the axle too, I just didn't want the headache of banging in the tight space and I didn't want to spend the extra money they wanted. That's money put towards other mods. I get compliments on my exhaust frequently. I also like that it makes a statement....it's obvious I have something custom and I like showing it off. To each their own.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Every day when I come home I have to drive over 4 speed bumps to get to my apartment. Only scrapes if I try to drive at 20 mph over them. LOL

Hell it doesn't even scrape on the shitty roads here in OK or when I go over railroad tracks. PLUS I have Spintech prostreets which are quite a bit larger, hell a ton bigger than any bullet style muffler and I have ZERO scraping issues.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Launching!

i like the under the axle look,i am gonna do it to.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

I've never scraped the exhaust. The one time I had to remove the pipes is when I removed the rear isolaters and it took maybe 5 minutes. On the bright side it gave me a chance to thoroughly clean and polish my tips.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go Mr. "Expert"

These are pictures of my car up on jack stands with the exhaust STILL on the car. Car/exhaust is dirty, please excuse that.

Oh, whats that? That last picture, the axle/sway bar isnt "bending" or "crushing" the pipes? Oh thats right, thats because THEY AREN'T EVEN TOUCHING THEM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are some pretty spiffy jack stands you have there.

Quick Reply: Duals under the axel...ghetto??