Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product - WS6 Functional Ram Air Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock hoods have rivets securing all the baffles that are inside the duct. You remove those rivets and thats how the track that secures the rubber seals is attached. If you don't have rivets on your hoods with baffles etc, it probably is an aftermarket hood.

We haven't tried the kit on an aftermarket hood but it should work as long as you drill the necessary holes. If you want to get a kit and see if it looks like it will line up, it can be returned as long as you do not damage or modify anything.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

Here are the instructions for the kit so you can see exactly what you need to do to install it:

http://www.fasttoys.net/jaaminstructions.pdf

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

id buy it for sure, but i could see my dumbass jacking up the install. im just not the best at these things. especially when its not a standard procedure like headers. sounds like youd have to mess w/ it a little to get it just right and id probably get frustrated....
Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

I would have no problem putting on this kit, but the way it rains in Miami occasionally, i would have to leave the baffles in place. And if im going to do that i cant see myself shelling out the money to get this kit. It looks great but if im going to leave the baffles in there i rather just leave it the way it is.
-Joel
Old 11-13-2007, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Default Thanks

Thanks for the link, my hood def. does not look like that inside, it has a path that goes up and then comes out on top. Wonder what brand it is.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Surferd15
Thanks for the link, my hood def. does not look like that inside, it has a path that goes up and then comes out on top. Wonder what brand it is.
There are so many aftermarket hoods it would be hard to say.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

anyone with some experience yet?

Looks like a nice piece, just waiting to see real world results.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

im going to buy one very soon. i cant wait! FTP has been putting out some kick *** stuff. money cant come soon enough!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Omec
im going to buy one very soon. i cant wait! FTP has been putting out some kick *** stuff. money cant come soon enough!
Thanks. Now people need to buy more so we can keep offering these new products
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Default Kind of looks like

She kind of looks like a 98 hood, is this years hood different?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wldesyWS6
id buy it for sure, but i could see my dumbass jacking up the install. im just not the best at these things. especially when its not a standard procedure like headers. sounds like youd have to mess w/ it a little to get it just right and id probably get frustrated....
if you could do headers on an f-body im sure you figure this out. It can't be too hard
Old 11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Header install is 10 X harder than the install on this product. The instructions are very good too
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I think some user performance data posted on these will sell more. I'm watching for that myself...

Two questions I'm waiting to see answered:
1. What the average JAAM performance gains?
2. How do the performance results compare with FTRA?

Everyone (with WS6's or WS6 hoods at least) seems to be looking for a BGRA replacement. The BGRA was track proven to be good for .2-.3 and 2-3mph (and better mileage) while the JAAM claims "Typical 1/4-mile improvements are 1 to 2 tenths and 1.5-2.5 MPH increase in trap speed.". This kit is the closest replacement for the BGRA so far, and I think most of us are looking to see how it performs before dropping $200 on it.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Not enough people have tested the JAAM kit to give an average gain. People have been asking for user feedback and none has been posted so far. That will all take a while to build up. We just have the figures from the manufacturer. Since the kit is very similiar to the BGRA, the gains should be similiar. Sorry but we do not have a WS6 car to test ourselves.

The JAAM kit and the FTRA kit are not meant to be competitors. The FTRA draws air from underneath the vehicle and in our opion, that is the source of highest pressure on an fbody. The JAAM kit is for people that want to make their WS6 hood truly functional. We found lots of WS6 owners do not want to install the FTRA because they don't want to lose whatever functionality the hood had to offer (very small in completely stock form). The BGRA kit had a # of drawbacks including parts that needed to be replaced and the fact that it only used the upper notstils of the hood. The JAAM kit utilizes the upper and lower nostrils and much more durable. It has been field tested for over 3 years.

The figures BGRA quoted for performance gains are quite high in our opinion and not very realistic. The FTRA yields 1-2 tenths and 1-1.5 MPH trap speed increases consitently for reference. That's an average over hundreds of vehicles and 9 years of sales. There are some people that get more and some people that see less depending on the state of tune of their vehicle.

How about this... the first 3 people to place a new order for a JAAM kit and offer to do a small test/writeup on the kit will get a 20.00 gift vocucher for our store once they send us the writeup. You have to mention this post to redeem the offer and only the first 3 will get it.

Thanks

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Can this kit be used if I already have a SLP Lid?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

^yes it will
Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jag42420
I think some user performance data posted on these will sell more. I'm watching for that myself...

Two questions I'm waiting to see answered:
1. What the average JAAM performance gains?
2. How do the performance results compare with FTRA?

Everyone (with WS6's or WS6 hoods at least) seems to be looking for a BGRA replacement. The BGRA was track proven to be good for .2-.3 and 2-3mph (and better mileage) while the JAAM claims "Typical 1/4-mile improvements are 1 to 2 tenths and 1.5-2.5 MPH increase in trap speed.". This kit is the closest replacement for the BGRA so far, and I think most of us are looking to see how it performs before dropping $200 on it.
+1

Especially since I already have my baffles removed and a foam seal that i made sealing the hood to the airbox. I don't know how much, if any, i would gain from this. What would be the benefits of this system over the way I have it now?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
+1

Especially since I already have my baffles removed and a foam seal that i made sealing the hood to the airbox. I don't know how much, if any, i would gain from this. What would be the benefits of this system over the way I have it now?
if i were you i would just buy the lower plate they sell, that way you could make use of all the holes on your hood and probably get the same effect as the whole kit
Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I have it sealed all the way around the box right now though, and the holes taped off, so I'm not sure how much better it would be just from opening those holes up and using them. Aren't there holes in the lower plate that would let air in/out just like the holes in the hood? The only thing I don't really like mine is that the foam I'm using is kinda hard, and a bit too thick, so it makes it hard to close the hood.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
FormerVendor

If you already sealed the top nostrils yourself, you could just order the bottom portion of the kit

Yes, it will work with the SLP lid or any other replacement lid.

Quick Reply: New Product - WS6 Functional Ram Air Kit!