Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Wisdom, Only Have $750

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Wisdom, Only Have $750

After months of deliberation, research, and saving ive come up with about $750 in performance parts money.

Now i can either go one way or the other. Induction or Exhaust.

Exhaust:
Pacesetter Headers (jethot coated in&out) by Marylandspeed $415
True Dual System w/ Sweet Thunders by Texas Speed & Performance $450
O2 Sensor extensions $15

As u can see ive gone over my budget by parts alone for exhaust and the install for it is a little trickier than the induction side of things.

Induction:
The JAAM WS6 Ram Air Kit by Fast Toys Performance $195
SLP Lid by New Era Performance (already have holly power shot filter) $95
Ported Throttle Body with Bump Stop mod by New Era Performance $75

that would still leave me with ruffly $350 to do something more. Maybe under drive pulleys or front and rear sway bars??? or maybe you guys could suggest something more

So please, you guys are the experts!! Ill take any feedback you have positive or negative. If u think i should choose different parts i wanna know. Help me have a great Christmas, and all of my ricerocket friends hate the year to come.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will probably see more of a hp gains with the headers and duals. I bet you can have a custom dual exhaust system made and save some money there and also get the slp lid and your TB ported.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

id save myself about 60-70 bucks and get the ceramic coated pacesetters. but good choice on the pacesetters, theyre the best bang for the buck header available.

here what i would do with 750:

pacesetter headers $350
pacesetter off road y pipe $100
muffler of your choice $75-150
cutout $35-40
lid $80-125
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

headers, you get power and sound!!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention fellas that I live in Orange County California. Were there are cops everywhere and Smog laws are king. I dont mind taking the risk going full cat-less exhaust, and having to put the stock one on every 4 years to pass smog regulations here. the only issue is the size of the ticket they hand out for not passing the sniff test. in some cases there in the $1000 range.

but so far majority's aiming for the exhaust.

keep them coming guys
Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, you're better off getting the XS stainless longtubes with the stainless y-pipe for $550 shipped, then get a cutout and weld it into the stock exhaust if money is a huge issue. That'll be a lot cheaper than the Pacesetter/TSP TD's combo and you'll have a FULL stainless setup (with the exception of the stock catback) with higher quality components. Then, when more money becomes available, you can get a catback or get the TSP TD's and sell the y-pipe.

Pacesetters are bottom of the barrel - in a year, they'll probably be all rusted up, not to mention they're very small by longtube header standards and nearly every other brand will outperform them. Why pay more for an inferior setup?

JMO.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

save a little more $ get TSP ls6 heads and a mild cam, maybe ls6 cam, gt2-3 cam or cheater cam. something that will pass CA immision . Yor sig says you have cat- back, so if its a pain to deal with headers and Ca law then I would leave stock manifolds on.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get the headers and exhaust because like the guy above have said is you will get more HP gains and more seat of the pants fell (real world power). You will need headers and exhaust for cam and head to maximise gains later down the road.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO, you're better off getting the XS stainless longtubes with the stainless y-pipe for $550 shipped, then get a cutout and weld it into the stock exhaust if money is a huge issue. That'll be a lot cheaper than the Pacesetter/TSP TD's combo and you'll have a FULL stainless setup (with the exception of the stock catback) with higher quality components. Then, when more money becomes available, you can get a catback or get the TSP TD's and sell the y-pipe.

Pacesetters are bottom of the barrel - in a year, they'll probably be all rusted up, not to mention they're very small by longtube header standards and nearly every other brand will outperform them. Why pay more for an inferior setup?

JMO.

XS Does NOT make an emissions header, so that wont work for him. IMO I dont think that JAMM air will net you as large of a gain as say a catback and a lid would...I would most likely do:

LID
Catback
Ported TB

And save the extra money for a stainless header that has emissions like the QTP's do.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

There is a kid in the Easter Members forum, parting his car, he has stainless steel headers w/ y pipe and SLP lid etc etc.

Check it out.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

I love the XS headers
1 7/8's too
pm me if you want the site mine came from (non-sponsor i think)
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

JMO.

pacesetters...bottom of the barrell?? inferior?? rusted up in a year?? i dont know if youve had personal experience with pacesetters, cuz it really doesnt sound like it. do yourself a favor Suicide Machine, do a search on pacesetters (ceramic/armor coated) and i have no doubt you will go for them. I have had coated pacesetters on every one of my ls1 cars, and ive installed plenty of them for friends, along with a few other "top name brands," and i must say, pacesetters fit the best out of them all. as far as rust, they do get a little surface rust once in a while, but it takes me 10 minutes every few months of just wiping the header down with a rag and cleaner/polish and they look brand new again. id also be curious to see proof that most other brands outperform pacesetters Pacesetter is the way to go. Just use the search feature and im sure you will agree. anyway, good luck to you buddy
Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Ive owned Pacesetters, in my opinion a cheap header and you get what you pay for, they rust like every other ceramic coated header out there.

Stainless is the cats ***, I bought a whole system from Dynatech, Headers, bolts, gaskets, catter y pipe, o2 extension, no banging, no BS, 1200$

Since I have been a owner of a pacer setter shortie on my LT1 and LT on another LS1 I had owned, I can say that you couldnt pay me to slug another set on a car.

BUT you need to work in your budget, you will find a sack rider for every part and every mod regardless of the type. Just do your research.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pacesetters are not complete ****. I've had mine for year and a half, car is daily driven, rain, snow, salt, etc. They have NOT rusted through, they look nearly brand new, and have at least another year out of them, if not MORE. They also fit great. That being said, if I had to do it again I'd grab some ARH. At the time however, the pacesetter was my best option (the ebay/XS/whatever the hell they are were not very widely used at the time, and I wasn't about to be a guinnea pig and risk having them fit like **** and ruining my daily driver). You won't be disappointed with Pacesetters, but there are NOW other just as cost effective options.

-J

Blackscreamin, is that like the SuperMaxx system? If so, then yes it is the cats *** considering it comes with EVERYTHING, I just want something to mount up to my TSP duals.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Blackscreamin, is that like the SuperMaxx system? If so, then yes it is the cats *** considering it comes with EVERYTHING, I just want something to mount up to my TSP duals.
Yes, it is indeed the SuperMaxx system!!

It is really a complete system.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Lid, Pacesetters (Raise > Choco). Those TSP duals are dumped and going to be loud. Your car will be cop magnet out there. An alternative to duals could be a Hooker or Magnaflow muffler or entire catback, (used if you can find it), with Pacesetter ORY. If you get some more money, you could have a local shop build you a nice catted Y with Flowmaster merge.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetter headers $350
pacesetter off road y pipe $100
catback $100-150-used Loud mouth
lid $80-125
and a underdrive pulley-175 or Ported TB-75.00
best power for the money.dont vworry about getting 02 sims or extensions, u can deleated the SES light w/ hptunners.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

On that budget your best bang for the buck is headers and exhaust.A ported tb and pulley will make little to no gain. There far from cost effective for the power they make,certainly nothing you can feel like full exhaust.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

i think we have agreed on the best way to spend $750. good luck to you WS6 Suicide Machine
Old 11-23-2007, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Go for our 85mm air lid with the MAF adapter. That way if you ever decide to upgrade to an 85mm MAF, you don't need to purchase a new lid. They are on sale today until Midnight.