Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley wobbles at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP pulley wobbles at idle

I just installed an ASP pulley on my trans am today and noticed that it wobbles at idle...but when you rev it up it doesn't do it. The engine seems to shake more at idle also. Is this normal? The car runs great and no SES codes...does anyone elses asp pulley do this?
Old 06-28-2003, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: ASP pulley wobbles at idle

make sure it is on all the way. use a impact gun or torque to 240lb.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure it is on all the way. use a impact gun or torque to 240lb.

Sorry but I would never use an impact gun on the crank. Impact guns are usually not nice to bearings and you need to be sure that the pulley is properly seated or it could cause problems. Pulley needs to be torqued to 240ftlbs. and then install a new bolt and torque to 37ftlbs. and then 120 degrees.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Teching In

I installed the pulley with the old bolt and torqued to 240ft lbs. Then used a new bolt and torqued it 37ftlbs. and then 140 degrees. It seated fine and looked just like some pics I saw on an installed pulley on this site. I'm perty sure it is on right. Like I said it runs great, I just noticed it wobbling at idle. Can those with an ASP pulley on their cars check and see if it wobbles a little at idle?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's normal for the motor to shake a little at idle, especially if you have a cam. But there is no way any wobbling at all of the pulley could be normal! If it is really doing that you had better get to the bottom of it ASAP! Are you using an SLP timing set?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:39 AM
Teching In

My car is stock except for a lid and a cutout...I wander if the pulley itself was balanced correctly? That's the only thing I can figure...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll admit I think I only was able to torque it to 220 lbs or so as I was lurching the car foward, but It does not wobble at all so I think its seated all the way on.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pulley does that too, but only when I mistakenly take two hits of LSD instead of one like Dr Leary prescribed. I think your seeing things. How would the pulley mysteriously stop wobbling on its' own above idle speed? It wouldn't, it should get worse at higher RPM if anything. If that pulley was actually wobbling the engine would shake itself to death when you REV it.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

My pulley does that too, but only when I mistakenly take two hits of LSD instead of one like Dr Leary prescribed. I think your seeing things. How would the pulley mysteriously stop wobbling on its' own above idle speed? It wouldn't, it should get worse at higher RPM if anything. If that pulley was actually wobbling the engine would shake itself to death when you REV it.
That is the funniest sh*% I have heard in a long time!!! Thanks for the laugh...