Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, new questions about Chamber 1's and Corsa clones

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Okay, new questions about Chamber 1's and Corsa clones

I posted a thread a while ago in which I was talking about having my TSP duals with Dynomax Bullets run out the back with Flowmaster Chamber 1 flows. I also bought the Corsa Clones to go with.

So I get back from Meineke today and was talking to the guy there and told him I just wanted to take the bullets off and leave the TSP X pipe in place and run the exhaust back into the Chamber 1's which are 3" inlet and outlet and then out the back to my Corsa clones, which are only like 2.25" or 2.5" ID I think. Well he goes, "this won't work, you have 3" exhaust all the way back and you can't take that down into a 2.25" or 2.5" tip, it will choke the entire exhaust up and you'll lose power" I told him that I really didn't think it would matter and he said, "Well I've been doing this for 30 years, but it's your car man..." Then I got the quote. Wow. Keep in mind this is only from where the bullets would come off to the rear of the car pretty much like TheBlurLS1 had done a while back if anyone ever saw that... Yeah, $320. My ***. Does that not seem quite ridiculous?

What are you guys paying to have your duals run out the back from the rear axle? Also, would it hurt the car, or restrict any power output to bump the pipe down from 3" to like 2.5" or 2.75" after the mufflers going into the tips? I thought about having him just lower the pipe size after the X down to 2.5" all the way out the back. It would be easier to deal with. What do you guys think?

By the way, H/C/Fast90 with be going on the car very soon, along with spray down the line. That's mainly why I was asking about restricting power output.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about necking down to 2.5" with TD's. There are plenty of people on this site with a lot more power than you, even after the H/C, that are still running a 3" y-pipe setup, and a 2.5" TD setup will greatly outflow and outscavenge a 3" y-pipe setup. So it is my opinion that you'll be just fine power-wise.

As for the quote, I don't know if that's a lot or not. Are they crush bends or mandrel bends? If they were mandrel bends and if I were guaranteed a very nice job, I wouldn't have an issue paying it. I'm sure some people have paid more and others have paid less. It's your call. If you're unsure, I'd get a few quotes from other places and go to the one you deem is the best combination of quality and price.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I wouldn't worry about necking down to 2.5" with TD's. There are plenty of people on this site with a lot more power than you, even after the H/C, that are still running a 3" y-pipe setup, and a 2.5" TD setup will greatly outflow and outscavenge a 3" y-pipe setup. So it is my opinion that you'll be just fine power-wise.

As for the quote, I don't know if that's a lot or not. Are they crush bends or mandrel bends? If they were mandrel bends and if I were guaranteed a very nice job, I wouldn't have an issue paying it. I'm sure some people have paid more and others have paid less. It's your call. If you're unsure, I'd get a few quotes from other places and go to the one you deem is the best combination of quality and price.
Cool, thanks, anyone else? I know people have had this done. What did you pay and what size pipe are you running?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about the pricing, but doubt he's doing mandrel bends unless he/you already have the prefabbed piping. as far as the corsa clones, they just put it on a pipe expander and voila, it now fits the 3" system. took the guy at my muffler shop about 20 seconds each and there's no restriction, trust me...i have em.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
not sure about the pricing, but doubt he's doing mandrel bends unless he/you already have the prefabbed piping. as far as the corsa clones, they just put it on a pipe expander and voila, it now fits the 3" system. took the guy at my muffler shop about 20 seconds each and there's no restriction, trust me...i have em.

Cool, I was wondering if they could just expand them out. I didn't see why not.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

people at exhausts shops gotta be the most stupid people on the planet when it comes to cars...they dont know **** all except for welding a piece of metal to another one. I love how they all say true duals cannot and will not fit on out cars when theres hundreds of people who have them tucked perfectly..(sorry a lil off topic but ****!)
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
people at exhausts shops gotta be the most stupid people on the planet when it comes to cars...they dont know **** all except for welding a piece of metal to another one. I love how they all say true duals cannot and will not fit on out cars when theres hundreds of people who have them tucked perfectly..(sorry a lil off topic but ****!)
But they have decades of experience so they have to know what they're talking about!

It just goes to show you, you can have all the experience in the world and still not know what you're talking about. Experience ain't everything. You gotta have a brain in your noggin'
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

What you want can be done. Most exhaust shops just dont like to reduce a 3inch pipe into 2.5 because it looks sloppy without reducers. Like Choco said, there would be no problem with this system. I had 3 inch pipe all the way to the x pipe and 2.5 behind it all the way out the back and the car screamed.

I think the price that you were quoted is about normal. Again, like Choco said, some have paid more and some have paid less As long as you know you're getting it done right, it seems like a fair price to me. True dual systems aren't cheap.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 ACE
True dual systems aren't cheap.
Especially on a car that didn't come with them stock. Remember, a few years ago NO ONE had them and most thought it was impossible to put TD's on an F-body. TD's cost $$$, but if you get it done right, nothing is better.