Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls6 intake install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't want to start another thread, so I'll ask here.
I have a 98 TA, manifolds are off and ready for headers to go in. I have a pull out engine from an 02 SS, that has the ls6 manifold. So I was thinking I should install it on my TA, but would I need to take off? The coolant lines that people buy, are these on the 02 motor that I have handy? Could I just take them off of that engine?
Also does it say on here that 98's need 2 knock sensors and a harness?
Oh and for the clothes pins metnioned, at what part of the swap would these come handy, what are done with them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

yeah if the gaskets are not pinched or torn they will be fine to reuse many times. i really dont see how poeple are breaking the sending unit unless they beat the manifold off with a hammer, or prying and force f@cking it out.lol
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was checking out some pictures form an install, and I noticed that the coolant hose runs under the intake manifold. What it suppose to do with an ls6? What does the coolant crossover pipe that can be bought do? Sorry if I sound likw a newb, but what the idea of the crossover pipe?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 AM
TECH Resident

the ls6 crossover does not go under the intake, it has two plugs that block off the rear of the heads there the old line hooked up. it just goes between the front of the heads and does away with the back all together. this is y some just notch the bottem of the ls6intake and leave the line alone.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the idea of this is to compelty block off the rear hose? Does it not fit with the ls6? Would there be in problems with cooling if blocked off? I have a pullout motor form a 2002 SS, I could just take the rear part right, I mean it would be blocked off or be like what is sold thru thunder racing as crossover coolant pipe for the ls1 to ls6 right?
Any idea if I would need 2 knock sensors and a harness as mentioned eariler in the thread on page 1 in post 5? What harness and where are the knock senors? Again is this something I can take off the pullout motor I have sitting?

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

ok first off nothing wrong with the 98, other than its older than the rest, it is nothing like a lt1(not to say they are bad either). the coolant line on the 98 is one piece and runs across the front, under the intake and split to the rear of the heads, if you want to replace it with the 02 then you will have to take the rear plugs off the 02 and the front line. the knock sensors are under the intake in the valley pan, will be obviouse when you get the intake off one of them, the 98's dont have to be replaced if they are not bad but alot of them by that time have gotten water to them and rusted, i had to take the ones out of my 98 and put them into my 05LQ4 cause the 05's were rusted so just use the best out of the bunch, the other option is to see where the line will contact the new intake and notch out the bottem of it to clear the line and leave it as is. no blocking the back will not hurt anything as that is how they did it from the factory on the newer intakes, but some say it will cool #7 better with it, but it up to you as both are factory ways to do it and will be perfectly safe either way.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

oh and the cloths pin thing, the bolts that hold the intake on are long and have to be pulled way up out the hole to clear the intake to come off, you need somethin tape, close pins, zip ties, whatever to hold the bolts up so you can slide the intake in and out without the bolts interfearing
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I unsderstand now.
Is the valley pan in the 02 any different, would it be ideal to swap it out?
BTW I know 98's are the best year in my book, I just like thorwing the 98 thing in my freinds faces when I beat them... Since they bagg on me for having a 98. lol

Thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok so the clothes pins would go on the bolt on the top side of the manifold.

Thanks all questions answered.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

lol yeah im not saying 98 is the best as i thru number 5 rod thru the crank sensor and out the block.lol but i might have hydro locked it bending a rod not sure, but befor that with only a filter and muffler deleat(stock lid, cats,manifolds everything) it would beat or tie every full bolt on car around......

but to answer your question, no need to mess with the valley pan just pull the sensor's if needed. and yes you need to hold the bolts up out of the hole from the top.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a couple of quick questions. So what all SES codes does the install set off? Being in PA with emissions, should I get the SLP manifold w/ EGR, and then use an PCM / LS1edit program to remove the SES code? This is my first planned install so I just want to make sure I have everything together and have all of the right stuff before I get into it.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

well if you get the slp version with the egr you dont need to worry about any codes, if you have edit and can tune them out then you dont need the intake with the egr, one or the other.lol just turn off everything that has to do with egr if you delete it. that will take car of emissions for ya
Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome. That's the exact info I was looking for.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well me and my buddy got the LS1 intake off, but as much carfull as we tried to be the oil pressure sending unit broke. We wern't to worry because we have the spare 2002 ls1 pull out handy so we took it off alonog with the ls6 intake. And we found a problem, on my oil s.p unit it has to pins were the conector go, and the one from the 20002 only has 1 pin. And all the parts stores don't have it in stock.
1. So Anybody know if I can use the oil sending pressure unit from a 2002 on my 1998?
2. What about the knock senors, should I replace them with the one's on the 02 motor I have? And will that harness work with my 98? How do these come out, do I just pull them out?
3. Another thing, I noticed some people say you need new gasket's. I didn't see any gaskets in my 98 when taking off the intake or neither on the 2002? Or are people talking about the gasktes on the intake ports?
4. The map sensor is the thing that sticks inside of the back part of manifold right, how do I pull all that off of the intake without braking it off? Can I just leave the one from the 02 on there and put it in my 98? I have a tune on it, would it change anything?
Thanks in advance
P.S. I just thought about it and I read on here that 98's have a more accurate oil psi and temp reading than 99's- 02's, wonder if the pins have anything to with it. lol
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

just turning off EGR in a tune will not let you pass emissions if they have any sort of visual. When they smog your car, they know where the emissions equipment is supposed to be and they will not pass you if something is completely missing.

PS - The above statement is valid for legitimate smog shops. I'm sure you can go around and find one that wouldnt give a **** though...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know in California you have the smog ***** to deal with but many states do not do visual inspections on ODB II cars and ODB II cars don't get a sniffer test either.....they just plug them in and let the cars PCM tell the story to their computer...don't ya just love LSI Edit and similar programs....that is the way it is in Georgia...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the intake manifold gaskets, I read some people on here change them, but when removing the intakes I didn't see a gasket anywhere... Only the ones on the intake port holes. WHere is the gasket located?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

The orange o rings on the intake ARE the gaskets. If they aren't torn or too compressed I would say its ok to use them.... You can get new ones fairly cheap at a decent parts store withing 24 hours.

Can't say about the Oil pressure switch.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

does the plug in even fit the oil sender, i had a newer one that didnt even have the same shape plug and would not work, i cant say for sure but i think you need the correct one here.
and the o-rings are 9 out of 10 times good to go unless you pinch/tear it changing them.

and for the knock sensor's if yours are all rusted i would change them if the look good dont bother. as for taking them out, the plug in is egg shaped, squeeze the wide sides to make it round shape and pull off, then in has a large nut shape on top to unscrew it. do not overtighten when replacing. you dont have to change the map sensor, it wont effect your tune if it is a good sensor is all that matters.tho the intake itself will slightly, more air so... hope this helps
and for the accuracy ive read that too, but my temp gauge reads lower than what i scan,so.....and seems to work perfectly normal just reads alittle low so im not convinced on that.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I got ahold of the oil sensor, local lsx guy had one handy. I changed the map sensor, I thought it would be affected by the 98 2 bar vs 3 bar thing the gasket on the map sensor got a little torn but I doubt its a problem. Got it back on, but I lost one of the injector metal clips, are these a must have, do you know if auto parts store's stock these?

Quick Reply: Ls6 intake install