Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!

I kinda like the comfort of my drivers seat and dont really ever adjust it any more so i figured i would see how much the power motor assembly weighs..comes out to 14lbs for everything under the seat...went down stairs in the crawl space and took my dads manual seat adjustment off of his seat and was just going to use that...Comes out that the manual is just as much as the power for the drivers seat...also tried to fit my other cloth seat in the drivers spot but the brackets are opposite...(fyi that seat only weighs 31 lbs)...

So i decided to go custom with some aluminum angle and some time and came up with these manual adjustment seats...when i say manual i mean you take off the seat and adjust it then throw it back in ...

Brackets, nuts, bolts, and washers weighed 2 lbs

Power motor and brackets removed weighed 14lbs...

lbs saved 12 lbs

Seat before weighed...38 lbs for a power cloth seat...

Now 26lbs...

Who wants some brackets???
Attached Thumbnails Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!-1.jpg   Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!-2.jpg   Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!-3.jpg   Stock looking race seat...26lbs...drop 12 lbs off your drivers seat!!!-4.jpg  
Old 02-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Chris; I was wondering when you were going to do that.

My driver's power cloth was 40lbs and my manual passenger was 30lbs. The seats I replaced them with were 14lbs a piece, so I saved 42lbs total. And I love these seats. They are so comfortable.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matt what seats do you have???
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
Nice Chris; I was wondering when you were going to do that.

My driver's power cloth was 40lbs and my manual passenger was 30lbs. The seats I replaced them with were 14lbs a piece, so I saved 42lbs total. And I love these seats. They are so comfortable.
yeah what seats do you have now...i was bored and my engineering twitch started to kick in so i got some Al angle, and screwed around before i got a real race seat...i gotta catch up to you with the weight haha
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

I did the same thing with aluminum brackets and even took the recliner mechansim and side support off and cut a piece of aluminum and put it in it's place. You lose the recliner, but set it where you want it and you're good to go.

The mounts you made make me a little scared because it's a little small where it bolts to the car. Why didn't you just leave the angle aluminum in tact instead of tapering it?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FoolZRacing
matt what seats do you have???

X2
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the JAZ poly seats with custom brackets. Here are the pics:

Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jantzer98SS

The mounts you made make me a little scared because it's a little small where it bolts to the car. Why didn't you just leave the angle aluminum in tact instead of tapering it?
yeah the taper was done just to lose a little more weight and there is no stress along the piece that i took off...also i know the one screw hole is pretty close to side and is then but when bolted down the stress is spread along the washer and i jumped up and down in the seat to make sure it wasnt going to bend or crack...