Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals Cost POWER!?!?!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galen
Hell, PatrickG has **** turds with more automotive knowledge than you.
ROLLIN' OVER ON THE MF FLOOR LMAO!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidadavila
.......like said before its really not that hard to figure out....to outflow a Td setup of 2.5 piping you would have to have a y peipe that merged into a 5 inch pipe.....plus scavenging effect of the x pipe...im no genious but that sounds logical....
Wrong! And you are definitely NOT a genius. Do you even know the simple formula for an area of a circle?? Its pi*r^2.

Neglecting wall thickness, the flow area of 2 x 2.5" pipes is about 9.81 in^2. The flow area of 1 x 3.5" single pipe is about 9.62 in^2 (almost as much as 2 x 2.5". The flow area of a single 4" pipe is 12.56 in^2 (almost 30% more flow area than 2 x 2.5" pipes). Which means that a single 4" pipe will BY FAR outflow 2 x 2.5" pipes. I swear there are some serious dipshits in this thread.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
It's not the "flow" that makes TD's better than a y-pipe.
Ummmmm.....no. More flow generally means more power up to a point.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You can make a y-pipe setup flow just as well as TD's. You just need larger diameter exhaust pipe. You can EASILY make a y-pipe setup flow as well as TD's.
Ummmmm. I think thats what they been trying to beat into your thick skull. Glad to see you finally "get it".
Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSCAMAROKID
Wrong! And you are definitely NOT a genius. Do you even know the simple formula for an area of a circle?? Its pi*r^2.

Neglecting wall thickness, the flow area of 2 x 2.5" pipes is about 9.81 in^2. The flow area of 1 x 3.5" single pipe is about 9.62 in^2 (almost as much as 2 x 2.5". The flow area of a single 4" pipe is 12.56 in^2 (almost 30% more flow area than 2 x 2.5" pipes). Which means that a single 4" pipe will BY FAR outflow 2 x 2.5" pipes. I swear there are some serious dipshits in this thread.
You are very wrong in your assumptions about flow rate and power. Just because the single large pipe has more area does not always mean it will flow more and make more power. If that was the case head manufacturers would just hog out the head ports as big as possible rather than the process they use now which is a combnation of size, blending, polishing, etc... Oh and header manufacturers would just make giant primary tubes and not be concerned about bends and length, and we all would just hog out our intake manifolds as large as possible too because in your world more flow area=more power.

Flow area is not the tell all indicator of potential power.

You sound ignorant and being that you are a newb here I bet you have no idea what you are even talking about.

Last edited by brad8266; 02-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brad8266
Just because the single large pipe has more area does not always mean it will flow more and make more power.
I understand. Thats why I said to a point. Think about it.

You sound ignorant and being that you are a newb here I bet you have no idea what you are even talking about.
So you think just because a person registers here and have a post count of less than 10 you automatically assume they don't know anything about cars/making power/exhaust theory? Wow, sounds like you are the one that is ignorant. This is not the power-making knowledge base of the universe. I better go tell John Force that he better hurry and sign up for ls1tech because I have just been alerted that if you are not a member and don't have 5,000+ posts, you know nothing about making power! LOL.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I understand. Thats why I said to a point. Think about it.

So you think just because a person registers here and have a post count of less than 10 you automatically assume they don't know anything about cars/making power/exhaust theory? Wow, sounds like you are the one that is ignorant. This is not the power-making knowledge base of the universe. I better go tell John Force that he better hurry and sign up for ls1tech because I have just been alerted that if you are not a member and don't have 5,000+ posts, you know nothing about making power! LOL.
I can guess you are ignorant by your naive, ignorant statements. We see these types all the time here, youre no different than the others so far. Post count means nothing really but when you have 3 posts and all 3 show ignorance then what are we to expect?

Well explain your credentials if you know so much. How many engines have you built? What do you drive currently and is it modded? If so what mods. What do you know about exhaust theory? How much power does your car make? Any timeslips or dynographs? Contribute if you know something we dont know.

This website is actually the power making knowledge base in the LSx world, its the largest centralized collection of information around, thats why there are hundreds of big name companies that sponsor this site.

Last edited by brad8266; 02-29-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Well explain your credentials if you know so much. How many engines have you built? What do you drive currently and is is modded? If so what mods. What do you knwo about exhaust theory?
I have enough qualifications to know what the god-damn area of a circle is and be able to mathmatically figure out that a single 4" pipe flows 30% more than two 2.5" pipes. I still can't believe that IDIOT said that. What a dumbass. As far as my mods go, I am not stupid enough (contrary to what you might think) to give that information out on the internet for the whole world to see. I will say that I am pretty confident that my all motor/full weighted/pump gas car would drag that H/C N20 car up and down the 1320. All day any day and in the heat. I'll bet I could even miss a gear and still win. What does your car run in the .25 if I may ask?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have enough qualifications to know what the god-damn area of a circle is and be able to mathmatically figure out that a single 4" pipe flows 30% more than two 2.5" pipes. I still can't believe that IDIOT said that. What a dumbass. As far as my mods go, I am not stupid enough (contrary to what you might think) to give that information out on the internet for the whole world to see. I will say that I am pretty confident that my all motor/full weighted/pump gas car would drag that H/C N20 car up and down the 1320. All day any day and in the heat. I'll bet I could even miss a gear and still win. What does your car run in the .25 if I may ask?

I bunch of **** talking from you but no car mentioned. I bet you dont even have a car. This guy reminds me of ONEBADASSWS6, You have no cred here or you would post something instead of running your mouth.

As for you dragging my car, I doubt it since your too scared to even post what you have, if you even have anything.

Once again what experience do you have besides knowng the formula for area of a circle?

Last edited by brad8266; 02-29-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are very wrong in your assumptions about flow rate and power. Just because the single large pipe has more area does not always mean it will flow more and make more power.
This is correct and ties in with what me and Asmodeus were saying earlier. The design of a system and research put into where the pipes merge together are very integral to the flow and power of a system. You can't figure the flow rate based simply on the area of a pipe unless they don't merge (no X or Y setup).
Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

I bunch of **** talking from you but no car mentioned. I bet you dont even have a car. This guy reminds me of ONEBADASSWS6, You have no cred here or you would post something instead of running your mouth. Enough said.

As for you dragging my car, I doubt it since your too scared to even post what you have, if you even have anything.

Once again what experience do you have besides knowng the formula for area of a circle?
You haven't answered my question. What does your car run in the quarter? You keep talking about cred. If you have cred, you would post it up. Or have you even had your car to the track? You sound like the typical internet racer to me.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

You haven't answered my question. What does your car run in the quarter? You keep talking about cred. If you have cred, you would post it up. Or have you even had your car to the track? You sound like the typical internet racer to me.
First off I asked you the question first and got no answer since apparantly you have nothing.

Yeah im an internet racer, at least I know I have a car that is over 600 HP that I hand built by myself. Keep going though buddy.

Youre mad because you got called on flawed theory.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned

First off I asked you the question first and got no answer since apparantly you have nothing.

Yeah im an internet racer, at least I know I have a car that is over 600 HP that I hand built by myself. Keep going though buddy.

Youre mad because you got called on flawed theory.
And you apparently need to learn to spell. I could careless whether you think I have any credibility or not. Internet credibility means NOTHING to me. And I hand built my car also, and it has beaten many N20 cars. You still haven't answered my question. Probably because you've never been to the track like many users here. They talk as if they know everything, yet can't put down the numbers at the track. That is where the proof of your knowledge and work is!! The results!!

As far as exhaust flow goes, if your exhaust is choking your engine then you need to open it up. But too much flow is not going to help you any more than the flow that your engine requires. Trust me, I understand that if your engine only need 320 cfm heads to run at its peak and you put 360 cfm heads you will not gain much if any. You may even lose power. I understand all that and have for a very long time. Keep calling me a dumbass all you want. I know I am not!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

You know when people get mad on the internet when they insult your typing BTW I never called you a dumbass, I said your theory is ignorant.

Still no car from you though.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

Not going to be one either. Go ahead and think I don't have anything. I don't care what you think. I could sell it tomorrow, would that mean I would lose all my knowledge and have no credibility??
Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Would you like to see a picture of my wifes boobies instead? LOL
Old 02-29-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not going to be one either. Go ahead and think I don't have anything. I don't care what you think. I could sell it tomorrow, would that mean I would lose all my knowledge and have no credibility??
You claim to have a car that will drag mine, which must mean its no slouch. So if you have the ***** to tell me you will drag me then why not the ***** to just say what you have, or had, or might sell tommorow?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Would you like to see a picture of my wifes boobies instead? LOL
Sure, why not?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When dealing with liquids, of course a 4 inch pipe will flow well.

Unfortunately this is not fluids we're dealing with with exhaust gas flow. We are dealing with exhaust that works with pulses and events that generate vacuum and pressure dynamics between the events. Every bend and merge work together to create the flow characteristics of a system. Take HVMC design High Velocity Merge Collectors? Gimmick or real function? Basically what happens is that after the 4 primaries "merge" there is a spot where the diameter of the pipe is reduced before expanding back to 3inch. What do you think occurs during that point? What happens after that point? If you know the answers to that and have gone so far as to design your own exhaust and put them on your cars and have proof of what does and doesn't work, then you are welcome to contribute to this forum.

Post count means nothing, but show some meaningful insight beyond simple high school math. I for one have designed my own y-pipe/catback before on an old 88 car and a true dual setup for my 98 car. I had a measly 305 engine, the L03 no less with stock peanut cam, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. I trapped 96mph with it with mid-high 14's. That trap speed says a lot about the y-pipe I put together along with the little mods I did to the engine, suspension, transmission, and gearing for that car. Not a bad set of work for someone back in high school.

My longtubes + true duals netted me a gain 43HP gain and 34ft/lb of torque. This was running with off the shelf magnaflow 3 inch cats, 2.5 inch true duals, x-pipe, over the axle to solo performance 3 inch mufflers. I suspect I gained more as I was running heavier tires 315 with 17x11 rims at that point as compared to my lighter stock 16x8 rims.

brad and many users have documented their builds, tried tested and true on this site. There's nothing for most LS1tech users to hide because we are proud of this site's reputation for real world information that is the SOURCE for LS1 cars.

Last edited by SladeX; 02-29-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

You claim to have a car that will drag mine, which must mean its no slouch. So if you have the ***** to tell me you will drag me then why not the ***** to just say what you have, or had, or might sell tommorow?
Because I'm kinda shy about my mods

Your just dying to know my mods aren't you. Its just killing you inside. I'll bet it'll keep you up all night tonight.......wondering.....LOL

Gotta love the internet......
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

then why not the ***** to just say what you have, or had, or might sell tommorow?
Why not have the ***** to tell me what your car will run? I'm curious also..

Quick Reply: True Duals Cost POWER!?!?!??