Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Backfire (VIDEO) what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dddddddddddd

Originally Posted by Mike96z
good thinking. i will check the pushrod fist, take my y pipe off, see if it only shoots fire out the passenger side. If it is then ill move the pass coils to driverside and driverside coils to pass side. if it shoots flames out the drivers side then it was the coils. if it doesnt i can check the pushrod and possibly pull the passenger head.
any change in the valvetrain can cause backfire. slack in timing chain could cause it as well, but less likely.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tee-boy
any change in the valvetrain can cause backfire. slack in timing chain could cause it as well, but less likely.
timing chain was first thought. but it was an engine from another party so you never know what they did beforre they sold it, couldve pulled a cam out and slapped the chain on wrong. but then again it would do it on both sides of the engine correct.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update. I replaced the coils but that didnt solve anything so sold the ones I bought for it. I put new plugs and new wires. I also checked the timing chain and all lines up. Still backfiring some and when I drive it, it seems like it doesnt wanna climb RPM's, like it struggles to do so. Well finally drove it about 1 or 2 blocks to the nearest autozone to get the codes read and here is what I found.

P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor Low Voltage
P0452 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Low Voltage

2 other codes were present but are EGR and egr is being deleted. P0443/P0449

As far as the first two codes go, Im going to replace the Camshaft position sensor, thinking its the main problem. Not sure what the fuel tank pressure sensor has to do with anything and I think it should run fine without it correct?

I'm still going to check fuel pressure and compression in each cylinder and hopefully the cam sensor fixes it. If I have good fuel pressure and still have a bad fuel tank pressure sensor, should I replace it?

If all fails, heads are coming off and Im checking for bad valves.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

how many times did it log the cam sensor? do you just have a code reader or an actual scanner? that will def screw w/ ya. hopefully thats it. the fuel tank pessure sensor is for the evap system. you may have a vac line disconnected.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Every code I listed was there twice, for some reason, all were doubled up in the system so it showed 8 codes, but probably because all codes were pending. I leave the car sitting with the battery disconnected. As far as the fuel system, im using the 97 Vette fuel rail with the regulator and return line system with a LT1 fuel tank/etc and walbro 255lph fuel pump so I got plenty of fuel but still havent check on pressure but did check for leaky injectors and had none.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every code I listed was there twice, for some reason, all were doubled up in the system so it showed 8 codes, but probably because all codes were pending. I leave the car sitting with the battery disconnected. As far as the fuel system, im using the 97 Vette fuel rail with the regulator and return line system with a LT1 fuel tank/etc and walbro 255lph fuel pump so I got plenty of fuel but still havent check on pressure but did check for leaky injectors and had none.
The SES light comes on once the error has occurred twice, so the scanner is just showing both times.

When you pulled the plugs did they all look the same? There may have been some diagnostic info there. It really does sound like it's not firing all cylinders.

Or perhaps you could measure heat off the headers with an infra red temp gage.

Another thought would be to check all the grounds, especially on the back of the DS head. Either reach way back there and feel for them with your hand or they can usually be seen from underneath the car.

GL
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea before I didnt know where those grounds went but they are all grounded behind the head now. Im going to check the cylinders soon but dont have the gun to do it. The car has ran the same when I first put the engine in with new plugs so it isnt the plugs but if I take a look at them, they basically looked normal. All coils, wires, plugs have been replaced, Im hoping this cam sensor does the trick. Can stand not having my V8 Z. Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will update everyone after I replace the cam sensor and will get a new vid.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

I thought it sounded like the cam sensor(post 19). I hope that fixes your problem.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
I thought it sounded like the cam sensor(post 19). I hope that fixes your problem.
Thanks man.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Umm. yea I found out that the cam sensor wasnt even plugged in. I hooked it up. The plug is what I believe went there. It was coming from the passenger side and was a very long wire that was separated with wire protector and had a 3 prong connector and I hooked it up but still popped and idles irregular. Im going to drive it around awhile and see if something changes. It does start up faster and should climb rpms quicker.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Teching In

I recently have been getting a backfire once every so often, after reading this thread I went out last night with multimeter in hand to check all my leads and plugs!

Found on the passenger side bank, one spark plug not completly tightly in, could be undone by hand and on the opposite side one spark lead was dead, couldnt get a signal through it at all, the core wire looked black too, all the other cables checked out fine!

These are the red MSD wires, what could cause something like this? could it be a coil?
im going to search as well, but incase I dont reveal any results
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rosco
I recently have been getting a backfire once every so often, after reading this thread I went out last night with multimeter in hand to check all my leads and plugs!

Found on the passenger side bank, one spark plug not completly tightly in, could be undone by hand and on the opposite side one spark lead was dead, couldnt get a signal through it at all, the core wire looked black too, all the other cables checked out fine!

These are the red MSD wires, what could cause something like this? could it be a coil?
im going to search as well, but incase I dont reveal any results
Im not sure what would cause this. I have the red MSD wires and dont have a problem like that.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Im not sure what would cause this. I have the red MSD wires and dont have a problem like that.
Ive just ordered another set of the red MSD wires, shall put them on my car and keep 7 as spares!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the MAP sensor is unplugged, how much trouble would that cause. I know it measures intake pressure and adjusts timing or works with the MAF sensor for that.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

alrighty then. personal preference
No need to sound fussy... People here are trying to help and Yes it is horrible to start a engine and just let it idle. It's not keeping it "fresh"
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz
No need to sound fussy... People here are trying to help and Yes it is horrible to start a engine and just let it idle. It's not keeping it "fresh"
Lol, have you seen an engine that has sat forever vs an engine that hasnt been started? it does keep it fresh. As I said its just personal preference I guess.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

seafoam it
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
seafoam it
whats the best place to do it?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had a fellow member come over with his HPTuners and try to reflash it with a stock tune. The car took the tune but it would not start nor run with a stock tune. So I had to keep the tune that was in the car. The tune had been modified from what we saw, the max rpm, max mph, and octane tables have all been touched. Nothing we tried worked except for the tune that was in the PCM which was not stock. So we ended up taking the tune that would start/run and removing the EGR/CAT codes and other codes that I did not need showing up, as well as turning misfires off.

So tuning the computer didnt work and it wouldnt take a stock tune which is wierd so the next move is to check fuel pressure, compression and then pulling the heads and checking for bent/burnt valves. The car is obviously missing at idle, the two guys I had looking at it noticed it immediately, also said there was alot of valvetrain noise.

Quick Reply: LS1 Backfire (VIDEO) what do you think?