Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Yes, I read your post and it's full of holes.

I'd like to see the A/F ratios in order to see what is really going on here, and it would also help to see the entire power curve and a picture of the exhaust itself, showing all bends and such after the cutout.

I'd also like to see that same muffler run, only with a 4" inlet on a 4" exhaust system since that muffler in a 3" was not designed to be run behind a 600bhp+ motor. Any 3" crossflow muffler will choke down some horsepower at that power level. It's not even remotely fair to stick a muffler designed for a car rated at 305 horsepower behind a car making literally twice that, then to call that muffler a restriction. No **** it's a restriction, it's a 3" crossflow muffler stuck behind a damn race car motor that would NEVER be found on a production car stock.

I agree with you man. That thing wold have had the same results with any cat back that was on it. I had flow master before my td's and it sounded great and ran awesome. My has a 01 ta with a 224/224 cam in it and dynoed 380 hp. He recently changed to a dyno max muffler off the Y pipe and it "feels" like he gained 8-10 hp. He hasnt put the car on a dyno since the exhaust change. But I drove it a bunch of times and agreed with him about the small gain. And by the way he only changed it so it would be louder not get a 25 HP gain.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plaf713
you cant compare cutout numbers to what a catback puts down, i want to see some numbers where people run on a dyno with flowmasters and switch to a different catback, im sure you wouldnt see much of a difference
Right, exactly my point.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I'll give you the "roughly" double...I've seen stock LS1's dyno over 300RWHP...we all know 305 is severely underrated.
Right, 305 is underrated, but the muffler was used to support the horsepower that the engine was rated at. If the LS1 was rated at 500bhp, Flowmaster probably wouldn't have used the catback they did. LS1's make 340-350 horsepower, and the motor in question is making something like 600-650bhp. That's roughly double the power of the LS1. You can't compare rwhp numbers because more rwhp is lost through the drivetrain as the power level of the motor goes up. A car that puts down 300rwhp has roughly half the bhp of a car that puts down 520rwhp.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I agree with you man. That thing wold have had the same results with any cat back that was on it. I had flow master before my td's and it sounded great and ran awesome. My has a 01 ta with a 224/224 cam in it and dynoed 380 hp. He recently changed to a dyno max muffler off the Y pipe and it "feels" like he gained 8-10 hp. He hasnt put the car on a dyno since the exhaust change. But I drove it a bunch of times and agreed with him about the small gain. And by the way he only changed it so it would be louder not get a 25 HP gain.
I'm glad you see it that way. Trying to talk some sense into the anti-Flowmaster bandwagon jumpers is like trying to singlehandedly fight off the German army in WWII

The Flowmaster 80 series obviously doesn't have the flow of a straight-through muffler, and I'm not claiming it's the best flowing muffler out there. It's not. It's restrictive compared to other makes, but it's not as bad as the crowd on this site will have you believe. I'd never trade my Corsa for it, but it's not a bad buy for the money.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Flowmaster 80 series obviously doesn't have the flow of a straight-through muffler, and I'm not claiming it's the best flowing muffler out there. It's not. It's restrictive compared to other makes
Straight from the horse's mouth...

Last edited by Red99TA; 03-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Well its better then stock I'll tell you that. I'd say its worth at least 8-10 HP.
My *** dyno tells me so.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not car how much hp the flowmaster costs. When I had my t/a with an X and single chamber flows it was the best sounding exhaust hands down. I would be more than happy to trade 20hp for the sound. A cut-out makes the car sound like a redneck straight piped 4x4. On a stock car, the flowmaster 80 is not going to cost more that 5 to 10, not a big deal. Like I stated the sound makes up for the hp loss. I wish my Z06 could sound like my t/a, but thats not going to happen. I am a sucker for the flowmaster sound.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I loved my Flowmaster, loved the way it sounded. But, when i replaced my exhaust system for a Magnaflow CB i gained 12 hp. BEFORE YOU GO NUTS, the flowmaster had all kinds of leaks and was making me throw codes. Overall, i was actually very pleased with the flowmaster. IMHO i think its one of the better sounding CB's out there. But, magnaflow puts the smack down on anyone with the WOT sound. *shivers* It sounds segsay.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my flowmaster with magnaflow. Just looking into the mufflers, is a no brainer which flows better. Magnaflow has the same size hole as the opening. Flowmaster had a much smaller hole. Reminds me of huge tips on Hondas that go into a pea shooter.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Tech Resident

Straight from the horse's mouth...
What is that supposed to mean? Do I work for Flowmaster? I clearly don't, so how is it "straight from the horse's mouth"? Or do you not even know what that phrase means? On top of that, where's the rest of the quote? It's easy to selectively quote and distort what I actually said. I could write the phrase "I'd **** your mom if she was the last person on Earth to save the species" and you can quote me for saying "I'd **** your mom" and leave the rest out, but I still think she's ugly
Old 03-28-2008, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

What is that supposed to mean? Do I work for Flowmaster? I clearly don't, so how is it "straight from the horse's mouth"? Or do you not even know what that phrase means?
Just saying that I agree with you and that you finally said something that makes sense instead of bashing the flowmaster haters. Oh and my mom is pretty ugly...not sure why we're going there though?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

this became a pissing match quick, everyone has there own tastes
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

the flowmaster 80 series definately sounds good. that muffler only and a lid ONLY NO OTHER ENGINE MODS at all on the woman's 99 m6 ws6 trapped 108-109 consistently @ 2500' da. it has to be better than the stock muffler, there's no way this car was that fast in stock trim. it's full weight + at least 50 lbs of her ****. car runs strong and i think part of it is the muffler. i almost **** a brick when we went from a ~35 roll and her stock t/a was at my door - with her driving haha. my auto turd had headers, true duals, lid, udp and ls6 intake boohoo.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not really flowmaster related but I'll throw it out there anyway. When I dynoed my car with just a lid and cutout (stock exhaust) I did back to back pulls with the cutout open and closed. HP and TQ gains were both less than 1. Soooo, unless a flowmaster is worse than stock, I don't see a cutout helping much on a stockish car.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Resident

Just saying that I agree with you and that you finally said something that makes sense instead of bashing the flowmaster haters. Oh and my mom is pretty ugly...not sure why we're going there though?
It was 1:30am and I just got back from the bar. I woulda went just about anywhere
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marovetsm
I agree, the cutout sounds crazy but I decided to take it off because I was sick having to watch my rpm's in town.
that is why you get the electric cutout. you have switch to open it at any position you want, and close it back up when you want it to be quiet.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

thats........suprising.....numbers dont lie huh
Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

It was 1:30am and I just got back from the bar. I woulda went just about anywhere
Trust me, you wouldn't go there...she's 58 and far from a GILF
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Don't be surprised. There are a lot of Flowmaster haters that just jump on the bandwagon for absolutely no reason on this site. The Flowmaster isn't as bad as advertised. There are plenty of people pushing well over 400 rwhp with them out there. Sure, they're not the best out there, but they're not going to destroy your car by running one.

Nice gains with the tune!
YUP..I LIKE MINE....
Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I have always liked my flowmaster catback system, and everyone seems to love the sound.

Quick Reply: Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!