Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by gilg99ss
I have always liked my flowmaster catback system, and everyone seems to love the sound.
The sound is one of the best - this from a guy with the vaunted GMMG. I've heard people say that they like the sound of my buddy's car (w/FM) better than mine. I'm not sure they're wrong.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes minimal gains are important to some of us. Every little bit helps especially when your not doing huge mods. The flowmasters Ive heard were both on m6 cars which I think bring the sound out better and they sounded great. I personally wouldnt run one on a car that I wanted the MOST out of. I mean damn if I waste my time and money on stupid things to gain a supposed 5 hp why would I take it away on a muffler thats supposed to help. This isnt trying to fuel the fire to the post just stating how some hp scavangers feel lol.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

I like seeing how the flowmaster people have started to come out of the woodwork. To those wanting EVERY last bit of HP like the post above, that's what the E-cutout is for!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GM Performance (found on the base SS) exhaust sounds and flows well enough for me driving around town. I invested $290 in a cutout and ecutout installed and IMO will outflow any aftermarket catback. From the the Y-pipe back my setup is all stainless and with a flip of a switch I can control how loud it is.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Teching In

I had the Gm Performance exhaust on my my SS, and I agree that it is does flow well, but It just wasn't loud enough for me. I know some people are quick to say that the Flowmaster drones, but I like the way it sounds.

Originally Posted by ssgunny
My GM Performance (found on the base SS) exhaust sounds and flows well enough for me driving around town. I invested $290 in a cutout and ecutout installed and IMO will outflow any aftermarket catback. From the the Y-pipe back my setup is all stainless and with a flip of a switch I can control how loud it is.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gilg99ss
I had the Gm Performance exhaust on my my SS, and I agree that it is does flow well, but It just wasn't loud enough for me. I know some people are quick to say that the Flowmaster drones, but I like the way it sounds.
You know what they say about the older you get. I guess I am there so loud is cool at the track and in a few other situations. When you start adding long tubes and an ORY's even the quietest catbacks out there start to get a little loud.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a flowmaster cb when i first bought my car....replaced it with a slp D/D, the car is not as loud but i notice it revs quicker
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
I like seeing how the flowmaster people have started to come out of the woodwork. To those wanting EVERY last bit of HP like the post above, that's what the E-cutout is for!
Where did you get the dyno wrk done? I think i've seen your car in town. (gloucester court house.) I've had a QTP E cutout just have'nt got it on yet. as for Flowmaster I run B&B on the SS but I have a 40 series on my 87.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I don't think a slp D/D would make the car rev quicker. It's in your head.

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I had a flowmaster cb when i first bought my car....replaced it with a slp D/D, the car is not as loud but i notice it revs quicker
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

ok, after reading more than 2 1/2 pages of this, I have something to say... I really am not going to get into the whole "Flowmasters will turn your 10 second car into a 15 second car" VS "Flowmasters are the ultimate performance muffler/exhaust/ect" agrument, mainly because I do not have a lot of first hand knowledge on it. There have even been some comments that people did not care if they lost some (or a lot) of thier performance, but they really liked the sound... Did it ever occur to anyone that Flowmaster might be fully aware that they are a little more restrictive systems (I am not saying they are or are not, I really don't feel like getting in the middle of this), but they made a choice to keep it that way to keep thier sound on it? I mean some guys can tell when a car rolls by that it has a Flowmaster on it. I know a few guys that would never go with anything but a Flowmaster because they just love that sound so much. There is a perfectly good chance that Flowmaster made that descision because in the end, unless you are going for a straight race car, most people are not going to care too much about the + or - hp they are going to lose as long as it is not MAJOR.
In the end what I am saying, is there is a good chance that Flowmaster is just going for a certain segment of the market, both in price and what they desire out of the car. Remeber, demand drives the market, and businesses try and figure out what thier customers want.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol at the little kid in this thread
Old 04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
There have even been some comments that people did not care if they lost some (or a lot) of their performance, but they really liked the sound... I mean some guys can tell when a car rolls by that it has a Flowmaster on it. I know a few guys that would never go with anything but a Flowmaster because they just love that sound so much.
I can usually tell when there's a Flowmaster on a car - not because I like them; I typically dislike them. But on an LS1, the FM 80 just sounds really good. It has a cleaner tone than most of them, IMO.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I can usually tell when there's a Flowmaster on a car - not because I like them; I typically dislike them. But on an LS1, the FM 80 just sounds really good. It has a cleaner tone than most of them, IMO.
gotcha. See it is all about personal taste. I kind of like the flowmaster sound on a stock LT1. Have not heard it on a LS1 though. Some like them and some don't.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Hmm, I was gonna say just the opisite. I think they sound weak on an LS1. My friend had the 80 on his LT1 and it sounded WAY better. LT1s and Mustangs sound hot with em, LS1 not.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Pontiacerator

LT1's just sound better in general. But my brother and a good friend both have FM 80's on their LS1 WS6's, and they sound great.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by formula87
Where did you get the dyno wrk done? I think i've seen your car in town. (gloucester court house.) I've had a QTP E cutout just have'nt got it on yet. as for Flowmaster I run B&B on the SS but I have a 40 series on my 87.
I got my car tuned and dynoed at Virginia Speed in VA Beach. It cost $450, and that included them tuning the car for drivability (for the cam) on the street, and dyno tuning. I think it was money well spent, as my car has better throttle response and drives smoother. --Justin
Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread belongs on ls1.com
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love my flowmaster, dont give a **** what anyone says.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Well all I can say is that everybody was right about the Hooker muffler . Its a little louder that a Magnaflow with a deeper V8 sound to it . I like it .
Sounds like a Flowmaster but with the best HP & torque output of all the brands on the market today .
Old 05-10-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

Seen this and wanted to add to it....

84 Camaro LS1(2000)/700R4

Only bolt ons, LT, ORY, LS6 Intake.

Flowmaster Muffler

QTP E-Cutout

302 RWHP/302 RWTQ though the flowmaster

312 RWHP/314 RWTQ thought the cutout

Back to Back pulls on a Dynojet.

Quick Reply: Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!