Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!

I just got my car back from the dyno a couple of days ago and its running great after the tune! The blue run is through my e-cutout, the red is thru the Flowmaster CB, and the green is a baseline pull before any tuning on the dyno was done, w/ cutout closed. BTW go fast mods are MS3 cam, upgraded springs & pushrods, Pacesetter LTs & 3" ORY, Flowmaster CB, a 3" Raceready E-cutout. I was pretty suprised that I only gained 8 rwhp when my cutout was open! Tell me what yall think of my numbers! --Justin
Attached Thumbnails Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!-dyno.jpg  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be surprised. There are a lot of Flowmaster haters that just jump on the bandwagon for absolutely no reason on this site. The Flowmaster isn't as bad as advertised. There are plenty of people pushing well over 400 rwhp with them out there. Sure, they're not the best out there, but they're not going to destroy your car by running one.

Nice gains with the tune!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Surprising results, congrats on the solid numbers though!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was also very interested at only an 8hp gain with the cut out. i see everyone bashing the flowmasters here. i bought my car with one on and also installed an e cutout. but everyone thinks you are leaving 15+hp on the table. thanks for the post.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surprised at the results too. I've seen other comparisons like this where guys do see the 15RWHP loss when the cutout is shut. Guess it depends on the setup.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice gains . . . i don't understand why almost everyone on here bashes flowmaster for every and any set-up
Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies! I must admit though, WOT sounds absolutely INSANE w/ the cutout open! But the Flowmaster to me sounds better at an idle and "normal" driving. I guess it depends what kind of mood I'm in!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I agree, the cutout sounds crazy but I decided to take it off because I was sick having to watch my rpm's in town.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info for the Flowmaster haters/lovers & nice numbers.
That green run file a/f is crazy!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by King Nothing
nice gains . . . i don't understand why almost everyone on here bashes flowmaster for every and any set-up
People are sheepish like that. They hear a rumor and they start spreading it like wildfire. Over time, it gets exaggerated. There are a few dynos out there that probably exaggerated the results of Flowmaster vs. open cutout, or the runs were done on different days and made the results exaggerated and showed something nuts like 15-20 horsepower, and those few dynosheets became gospel. It seems like everyone has a story that goes "my friend has a friend who knows a guy that gained 25rwhp over Flowmaster by opening his cutout." In reality, that kind of stuff isn't going to happen.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
People are sheepish like that. They hear a rumor and they start spreading it like wildfire. Over time, it gets exaggerated. There are a few dynos out there that probably exaggerated the results of Flowmaster vs. open cutout, or the runs were done on different days and made the results exaggerated and showed something nuts like 15-20 horsepower, and those few dynosheets became gospel. It seems like everyone has a story that goes "my friend has a friend who knows a guy that gained 25rwhp over Flowmaster by opening his cutout." In reality, that kind of stuff isn't going to happen.
Not true, I have proof:

This car has a flowmaster cat-back on it.

[

Red = cut-outs closed,
Blue = obviously cut-outs open

Before I explain, I'll tell you that I'm not a flowmaster hater, quite the oppositre infact I am a flowmaster fan. I have a flowmaster y-collector and muffler on my own car (3.5 mufflex, single out) and I love it.

But stating facts only, I will tell you that these # are from an iron block 402 with ported 317 castings in my friends '00 TA. The dyno is Ed Wrights dyno in Tulsa, OK. Just in case anyone wants to call BS, call up Ed Wright and ask him. And I was there to witness this, these pics were taken with my phone.

And also, this car had dual electric cut-outs in the y-pipe. I assure you that if this car would have had a single cut-out in the usual location just infron of the rear axle, there wouldn't have been 25hp difference between open and closed.

Last edited by Colin91Z; 03-26-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can see that on larger cubes but with a stock 346 it may not hurt you as bad.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigti99a
i can see that on larger cubes but with a stock 346 it may not hurt you as bad.
I agree. I'm just showing what I've seen in person
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

I had LT's with ory and a flowmaster weld in muffler and it sounded like ****. That was the main reason I got rid of it. Cant speak for performance.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

This coming from the guy who takes the one "QTP header vs. HeaderX" dyno comparison as gospel and posts it up in every header thread.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Not true, I have proof:

This car has a flowmaster cat-back on it.

[

Red = cut-outs closed,
Blue = obviously cut-outs open

Before I explain, I'll tell you that I'm not a flowmaster hater, quite the oppositre infact I am a flowmaster fan. I have a flowmaster y-collector and muffler on my own car (3.5 mufflex, single out) and I love it.

But stating facts only, I will tell you that these # are from an iron block 402 with ported 317 castings in my friends '00 TA. The dyno is Ed Wrights dyno in Tulsa, OK. Just in case anyone wants to call BS, call up Ed Wright and ask him. And I was there to witness this, these pics were taken with my phone.

And also, this car had dual electric cut-outs in the y-pipe. I assure you that if this car would have had a single cut-out in the usual location just infron of the rear axle, there wouldn't have been 25hp difference between open and closed.
Same car?
Same dyno?
Same day?
Same temperature?
Same humidity?
Same A/F ratio?

If all the answers to these questions are not "yes," then there is plenty of error in those 2 dyno comparisons.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
This coming from the guy who takes the one "QTP header vs. HeaderX" dyno comparison as gospel and posts it up in every header thread.
Right, because the dyno was done on the same car, the same day with the same mods on the same tune. So therefore, the comparison is valid.

What you said isn't even close to a similar comparison. What you said is on par with "Flowmaster catbacks cost 20rwhp because Rosie O'Donnell is fat." Not sure where to connect the dots, here.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Same car?
Same dyno?
Same day?
Same temperature?
Same humidity?
Same A/F ratio?

If all the answers to these questions are not "yes," then there is plenty of error in those 2 dyno comparisons.
Did you actually read my post? Is it really that hard to believe after I explained everything?

But to answer your questions:

yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.
and yes.

They were back to back pulls purposely done to see the difference between cut-outs open and closed after tuning was complete.

If you don't believe me, call Ed Wright and ask him to pull his file on Jason Whitted's 00 WS6. He'll tell you what I just showed you.

Last edited by Colin91Z; 03-26-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to have a flowmaster on my LT1 and loved the sound. If it was stainless steel I may have considered it on my LS1.

Imo you should get what sounds the best and if you want more flow than what that muffler can flow, a cut out can be used.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Did you actually read my post? Is it really that hard to believe after I explained everything?

But to answer your questions:

yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.
and yes.

They were back to back pulls purposely done to see the difference between cut-outs open and closed after tuning was complete.

If you don't believe me, call Ed Wright and ask him to pull his file on Jason Whitted's 00 WS6. He'll tell you what I just showed you.
OWNED

Quick Reply: Dyno results: Flowmaster CB vs. E-cutout!