Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Hooker LT's on now I have rasp on acceleration !

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my Hooker LT's on now I have rasp on acceleration !

Hey guys I have been running around with my Hooker LT's on now for a little less than a month and I am hearing rasp on acceleration right at around 2500 rpm to 2700rpm, I do not hear it at very light throttle at all, I also do not here at with the cutout open which leads me to believe its my Catback.
My catback is the Hooker catback and with my SLP's on it did not sound like this so I am kind of stumped. I have double checked for exhaust leaks and even put High temp RTV at all the joining points to eliminate a possible leak but I still here the rasp. This is pretty annoying cause I have to go super slow or drive around with my cutout open not to here it neither of which is what I would call normal driving. I was thinking of either switching to true duals but I would preferably rather go with a catback with my cutout cause I can have the car quiet when I want it to be this way. I also have the Hooker ORP with no cats. Also with the cutout open I can tell that the engine almost changes harmonics at 2500rpm which may be the reason for the rasp but why can't my muffler handle this? A couple of ideas I had are

1. The Hooker Y pipe, could this thing be causing turbulence that translates into rasp when going through the full muffler? I could change this out to a qtp y pipe if this is the issue.

2. The Hooker Headers are causing turbulence or just make that paticular sound that causes the rasp?

3. The catback is either somehow bad or just cant take all the air the headers are throwing at it?

The funny part is that this is on acceleration not deceleration which is where most people get there rasp at. You guys have any hints on this? Should I change out my Y to one with the flowmaster Y joint? Do I need to go to true duals to get rid of this sound? Is there another catback that anybody is running with the Hooker Headers and Y that has no rasp (I would even get the dual dual if it would make the rasp go away)

I did run a search on this but most people including myself would say to get the Hooker Catback or go true duals but they were having rasp on deceleration not acceleration so any tips would be nice here as this sound really ticks me off cause it sounds like complete crap.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Got my Hooker LT's on now I have rasp on acceleration !

My Jet-Hots did this with the LM. It was aweful. Most people don't have this problem with the Hooker cat-back. True Duals did fix the issue though.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess I can go true duals and maybe some borla xr-1's to keep it as quiet as possible. Man this really sucks.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

I added a 24inch bullet muffler in my I-pipe and that killed ALOT of my rasp I was having with my hookers and B&B Triflow.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm I was thinking about a bullet muffler but I already have a cutout in the I pipe so I'm not sure how this would work out?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Got the same setup as you and have a little amount of rasp. oh well
Old 07-29-2003, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

I have the 24in bullet and a cutout, the exhaust shop had to "modify" my cutout a little and then they placed it right before where the pipe goes over the axle. It turned out really good.. not an inch to spare. If I had it to do over again, I would have went with the 18inch one and had room to play with.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

did you put the dynomax bullet in there or some other kind. I'll try this first as its the cheapest route.