Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNO results - MACs to ARH 1 7/8 headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm contimplating some of the same decisions now myself. I have future goals as well and I do plan on following through with them, as I'm sure you do. My plan in a forged 347, 370 or 383 with D1SC Procharger for a rediculous street set-up.

It's great to see that if I go the same route, I will lose essentially nothing by running this size header until my set-up is complete and where the headers will shine.

I think you made a good choice considering you will be utilizing those headers for your future goals. I personally like to buy things once, and only once. I would not want to have 1 3/4" headers put on; only to replace them with 1 7/8"ers and sell them later.

But thats just me. It's my opinion and I will not try to push that on anyone. =)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
by that logic u r saying u needed long tubes and whatever the **** else u have on your car? which is apparent isnt very much.
Longtubes are a sound mod first, performance mod second to me. I want my mods to be something that'll increase sound and pick up performance without killing mpg's. Obviously, headers are the best mod out there for those requirements. I spent the extra money on QTP's because I wanted stainless, and if I'm going to buy them, they may as well be one of the best performers out there. At the time, QTP's were the only stainless, fully-welded header available that had merge collectors, so it was a no-brainer.

Everything else is mostly cheap horsepower that have virtually no effects on fuel economy. I have no interest in dropping thousands on stuff I don't need, especially since I'll only be driving my car 1-2 times a month for the next 15 months.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
haha... dude Nick, he CAN afford a blower. that is if he wanted to.
So, because I can afford something, I should buy it? And I'm crazy? No one saves their money anymore. I guess that's why the country's in the shape it's in. No one has any self control or common sense when it comes to finances. I have no interest in spending thousands of dollars on something I don't need to impress a kid on a forum that can't type a grammatically correct sentence like you.

Now things are just getting off topic.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.) 1 thing I see in all of these posts are people expecting too much from header changes. People usually go with headers and then move on to more serious and invloved mods... Then the header never gets the credit OR people start upgrading headers when the motor isn't beyond the flow potential of their current headers and start bashing when they don't see a 20rwhp change. If people were doing H&C or power adder installs and THEN going to headers, the story would be different... It's just not the natural progression of things.

2.) Choco, I know you love the QTPs... I just sold a set and I was very happy with them, but I don't think it's really necessary to hop on every longtube thread and create a brand x vs. QTP thread out of it. They're nice headers and I'm glad you think so too. The poster went from one set of headers to another with a VERY mild bolt-on car and you say you wouldn't be pleased with the power? He'd have gotten NOTHING more with any other brand, including QTP. Headers are not the vehicular equivalent to "the miracle worker"... The simple fact of the matter is that headers are easy and people will bounce around from one header to the other with relatively few other mods searching for that mystical header that sucks another 20rwhp more than the last header out of a stock motor with a cold air intake and catback. Heads/cam/FI, etc are more time consuming and expensive, YET they are the mods that make a well designed header do it's job. My 2 cents.

3.) Nick knows his stuff and unlike some other header manufacturers, doesn't mind to spend time giving you some customer (or potential customer) service. Due to his knowledge and willingness to work with the people using his product, ARH is solidly in the running for the next set of headers for this year's build.

4.) That is all.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
So, because I can afford something, I should buy it? And I'm crazy? No one saves their money anymore. I guess that's why the country's in the shape it's in. No one has any self control or common sense when it comes to finances. I have no interest in spending thousands of dollars on something I don't need to impress a kid on a forum that can't type a grammatically correct sentence like you.

Now things are just getting off topic.
haha your such a tool dude, oh and please, since your the first deuche thats said something about my bad "grammar", let me know what was wrong with that sentence. Mr. engineer.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the new quote by the way. I love it
Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
haha your such a tool dude, oh and please, since your the first deuche thats said something about my bad "grammar", let me know what was wrong with that sentence. Mr. engineer.
You do realize that I spelled "grammar" correctly, right? There is no E in the word. There's no E in ridiculous, either, which is what you are

I'm glad you agreed with my post enough to put it in your sig. There are plenty of other people that agree with me on that, too.

BTW, I'm not German (let's see if he gets it )

Have fun in your SuperSport. There's only a million of 'em in a hundred different varieties on the road.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Longtubes are a sound mod first, performance mod second to me. I want my mods to be something that'll increase sound and pick up performance without killing mpg's. Obviously, headers are the best mod out there for those requirements. I spent the extra money on QTP's because I wanted stainless, and if I'm going to buy them, they may as well be one of the best performers out there. At the time, QTP's were the only stainless, fully-welded header available that had merge collectors, so it was a no-brainer.
still makes no damn sense but whatever floats your boat. and i def have no idea why stainless headers were imp to you when u didnt feel the need to do a nice stainless y pipe. keyword nice. and a blower will def pick up sound and performance so u might as well buy that too. if u drive the car once or twice a month then the headers sound like they were a waste of money too.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Resident

still makes no damn sense but whatever floats your boat. and i def have no idea why stainless headers were imp to you when u didnt feel the need to do a nice stainless y pipe. keyword nice. and a blower will def pick up sound and performance so u might as well buy that too. if u drive the car once or twice a month then the headers sound like they were a waste of money too.
When I bought the headers, it was my daily. I have a different job in a different state right now for a 6 month period, so I won't be driving it this spring or summer much at all. Then, I have 9 months of classes where I won't be home.

I didn't do a stainless y-pipe because it's temporary. It's only a matter of time until I rip it off for TD's.

I'm not interested in a blower as it's a $15,000 by the time you rebuild your entire drivetrain. That's an insane waste of money.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

no one makes you rebuild your whole "drivetrain" when you want a blower.. if youd stay out of the External-section maybe youd learn a thing or two about what a stock short block is capable of. i still want to know what was wrong with my horrible grammar.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Resident

Well, for one, I'm not sure what a deuche is. Like I said, I'm not German.

A blower should run you about $15K if you do it right. A blower is nearly $7K as it is, and by the time you get a new tranny, a new rear and a tune, you're way into 5 figures. If you add labor charges into it, it gets even higher. I don't half *** things. Maybe you do, but it's not my style. Some people like dropping $7K in parts to drive their car for a month before something breaks. No thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Please, everyone install the !troll mod:

This message is hidden because ChocoTaco369 is on your ignore list.

Then maybe this ignorant kid will quit polluting threads. He never did take my wager to prove his point vs. mine on the drivetrain loss due to wheel weight. That says it all - an internet mouthpiece with no firsthand knowledge, no positive contribution, and no backbone. What a mary...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Please, everyone install the !troll mod:

This message is hidden because ChocoTaco369 is on your ignore list.

Then maybe this ignorant kid will quit polluting threads. He never did take my wager to prove his point vs. mine on the drivetrain loss due to wheel weight. That says it all - an internet mouthpiece with no firsthand knowledge, no positive contribution, and no backbone. What a mary...
i would block him but arguing with him is kind of funny.
OH YEAH, dont forget to add ARH 1 7/8 headers to that mod list

Last edited by sidewayz28; 04-17-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

Well, for one, I'm not sure what a deuche is. Like I said, I'm not German.

A blower should run you about $15K if you do it right. A blower is nearly $7K as it is, and by the time you get a new tranny, a new rear and a tune, you're way into 5 figures. If you add labor charges into it, it gets even higher. I don't half *** things. Maybe you do, but it's not my style. Some people like dropping $7K in parts to drive their car for a month before something breaks. No thanks.
you dont need nearly all that ****. and you do half *** things. look under your car at your y pipe next time you go home.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

It gets old when every time somebody has anything nice to say about ARH or Kooks, Choco Taco has to step in and put in his 2 cents. I don't even know the guy, but all I associate him with is bashing Kooks & ARH. It gets old after a while. You'd think a mod would hand out warnings for a "trolling" offense.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jmilz28
He never did take my wager to prove his point vs. mine on the drivetrain loss due to wheel weight
And what wager is that? I guess you won't reply because of your copout.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Resident

you dont need nearly all that ****. and you do half *** things. look under your car at your y pipe next time you go home.
Why is it half-assed? Because it's not stainless? It works great for me. No fitment issues, no rasp even with the cutout open, the best cats on the market, no banging, etc...Don't forget, like I said, it's temporary. Temporary means it's not my permanent solution. Eventually I'll go TD's which is where I'll drop some serious coin more than likely, but the idea behind the y-pipe was to just hold me over until I have time and money to go super high quality. The headers are permanent, so that's why I dropped the extra coin. But don't let logic get in the way of your arguing for the sake of arguing.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Why is it half-assed? Because it's not stainless? It works great for me. No fitment issues, no rasp even with the cutout open, the best cats on the market, no banging, etc...Don't forget, like I said, it's temporary. Temporary means it's not my permanent solution. Eventually I'll go TD's which is where I'll drop some serious coin more than likely, but the idea behind the y-pipe was to just hold me over until I have time and money to go super high quality. The headers are permanent, so that's why I dropped the extra coin. But don't let logic get in the way of your arguing for the sake of arguing.
no logic there except u dont know wtf quality is. u were thrilled to death when that got put on and it looks like complete ***. crush bends, shitty welds, spray paint. whatever bro.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Resident

no logic there except u dont know wtf quality is. u were thrilled to death when that got put on and it looks like complete ***. crush bends, shitty welds, spray paint. whatever bro.
Crush bends don't matter. They are so incredibly subtle around the bends, it's not going to do ****. The crush bends are before the merge, and there's no way my car needs perfect mandrel bends into 2 3" pipes off the headers.

The pipes are painted because it's aluminized steel, not stainless. That's a good thing.

The welds are very good. The only thing I didn't like was it got welded to my collectors, which isn't a huge deal. I have no leaks, unlike just about every clamped system.

Ground clearance is better than stock. No rasp. Best cats in the industry. No rattling, banging or fitment issues.

So, what's the problem? Seems like quality to me for the little money I paid for it. Again, it's only temporary. I wasn't looking for a $2,000 exhaust system for the few thousand miles I'll put on it. I'm sorry you don't get logic.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Crush bends don't matter. They are so incredibly subtle around the bends, it's not going to do ****. The crush bends are before the merge, and there's no way my car needs perfect mandrel bends into 2 3" pipes off the headers.

The pipes are painted because it's aluminized steel, not stainless. That's a good thing.

The welds are very good. The only thing I didn't like was it got welded to my collectors, which isn't a huge deal. I have no leaks, unlike just about every clamped system.

Ground clearance is better than stock. No rasp. Best cats in the industry. No rattling, banging or fitment issues.

So, what's the problem? Seems like quality to me for the little money I paid for it. Again, it's only temporary. I wasn't looking for a $2,000 exhaust system for the few thousand miles I'll put on it. I'm sorry you don't get logic.
but yet u felt the need for an $800 corsa catback and $700 headers.....nice logic ya got there.

Quick Reply: DYNO results - MACs to ARH 1 7/8 headers