Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks vs qtp's

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im with Chacotaco as far as having a hard on for QTP's. I love mine I have had no problems with them at all. The fit was like a glove with mine. I had to do no grinding of any kind and they dont touch anything under the car. I wouldnt buy any thing else. I had this argument with one of my buddys about headers. He went with ceramic coated Hookers and 2 weeks later there was surface rust on them. 1 month later his ceramic coating started to peel off. Speed inc. took a look at them and said if he takes them off they can most likeley warranty them but he's lazy. As far as Kooks Vs. QTP goes, both are great build quality but I went with QTP because they make more power then any header out there with out a HVMC on them. And also the price is very fair compared to a few years ago. And the fact that they are polished is nice. I dont care for the look of an unpolished stainless header. The welds are great on my set and they dont leak at all. I've seen only 1 post about the welds leaking on the collector. Not to say there isnt any more people that had this problem before. I have heard people having leaks on EVERY SINGLE HEADER OUT THERE though so I wouldnt let that effect my buying decision. Just because other headers dont have HVMC's dont mean the welds on the primarys cant leak. Keep that in mind.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

i got JetHot LT's, they are coated inside and out, and they are badass, no surface rust or anything, but they arent ceramic coated they are jethot coated
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my kooks, but i don't believe ARH were an option when i bought mine. IMO, a premium header is a premium header. Kooks and ARHs have shown good results. QTPs have mixed reviews. There are those who have had problems with them and those (such as chocoloco LOL) that maintain they are the best headers on the market. I don't have an opinion on them since i have never seen them. However, I wouldn't roll the dice if it were my money. Kooks or ARHs seem to be the way to go.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Good question. People like starting them for no reason. Maybe it's because I'll actually tell them to **** off if they start something for no apparent reason
How many of your 4,500+ posts are constructive advice/question posts, and how many of them are you just being a dick? Just wondering, because it seems as if you don't ever have anything nice to say unless you are sucking on QTP's nuts. Just an observation.

BTW, QTP headers have had a substantial amount of complaints against them by ACTUAL customers who were dissatisfied with the product. Yours have been problem free; GREAT! Good for you! Others have not been so fortunate, and their voices deserve to be heard as do their experiances deserve reckognition.

Again, I have never seen a set of QTPs. For all I know, they could be excellant headers, or they could be POS. I am not commenting on their quality because uninformed criticism is not constructive. But neither is close minded adoration by one individual who refuses to acknowledge the complaints of others.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think my QTP's are great. I do not have the HVMC's but this post wasnt focusing only on those style QTP's. For the price, you cant get any better. They are always cheaper then ARH and Kooks and also have better gains. Every aspect of my QTP's fit up great and nothing leaks at all. If a few people got some bad headers, OK. There isnt a company out there that has produced a perfect header every time.

To the OP, just get whatever header you find the cheapest. They are all going to fit good, you cant see them so looks dont matter, and yes QTP makes better power but if you find something else for cheaper its not gonna be a big deal.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
. I have heard people having leaks on EVERY SINGLE HEADER OUT THERE though so I wouldnt let that effect my buying decision. Just because other headers dont have HVMC's dont mean the welds on the primarys cant leak. Keep that in mind.
Show me a post on here where an ARH header has leaked Sure they can, ARH apparently just has better QC and those sets never make it out of the warehouse. They also have superior customer service because I called them and and in no time had Nick himself on the phone to discuss my setup. I sold a used set of QTP's I picked up after noticing the collectors had bad welds and were gonna leak Not saying QTP's are not a great design, they are (old Gronahan), just saying after hearing others experince the same thing I think their QC sux. The quality of my ARH look top notch and I will report on fitment after they are on. Since I am lowered one of the big things I liked about them were the good reports of their Y pipe clearance. I wish I could Dyno header results only but other stuff is going on the car too.

Edit- $h!t. Just reread this post and realized I sounded like the ARH Choco. I'm out!!!!

Last edited by SOMbitch; 04-23-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
How many of your 4,500+ posts are constructive advice/question posts, and how many of them are you just being a dick? Just wondering, because it seems as if you don't ever have anything nice to say unless you are sucking on QTP's nuts. Just an observation.

BTW, QTP headers have had a substantial amount of complaints against them by ACTUAL customers who were dissatisfied with the product. Yours have been problem free; GREAT! Good for you! Others have not been so fortunate, and their voices deserve to be heard as do their experiances deserve reckognition.

Again, I have never seen a set of QTPs. For all I know, they could be excellant headers, or they could be POS. I am not commenting on their quality because uninformed criticism is not constructive. But neither is close minded adoration by one individual who refuses to acknowledge the complaints of others.
Just about every single one of my posts are constructive, an easy 90+% of them.

I like the logic behind your posting, though. If someone posts up complaining about QTP's, that's fine. If I post up about them, I'm sucking on QTP's nuts for some reason. The people with bad luck are allowed to post all they want, but I'm not allowed to. Makes sense, right?

I have seen complaints about QTP's, Kooks and ARH's. Naturally, you will see more with QTP's and Kooks because they have been out longer. Naturally, you will see the most about QTP's because they sell the best because of the pricing vs. quality. Law of averages. If you sell more, you will have more complaints.

Most of the complaints are the same people reiterating their problems over and over again, hellbent on ruining QTP's reputation, which is fine by your standards...but if I reiterate my good experiences, I get slammed. How does that make sense? It's okay to trash a company, but if you stick up for them, you're a fanboy/nutswinger/troll/etc...

We won't even get into the people that create multiple accounts just to make it appear multiple people are slamming a company. Those guys know who they are, along with the people that create multiple accounts to be cheerleaders. They know who they are, too. That's why you don't trust this crap on an internet forum. Tons of people have agendas, and if they get hurt, they want everyone else to feel their pain. If it's not a long-standing member and the complaint posts aren't accompanied with pics, I don't buy into it. Anyone can make up anything they want on a forum.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

QTP, i will tell you best mod ever done to a ls1, never had anything else so i cant be judgemental, but myh car was stock at one point first mod was QTP headers, a let me tell you what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 for qtp
Old 04-23-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just about every single one of my posts are constructive, an easy 90+% of them.

I like the logic behind your posting, though. If someone posts up complaining about QTP's, that's fine. If I post up about them, I'm sucking on QTP's nuts for some reason. The people with bad luck are allowed to post all they want, but I'm not allowed to. Makes sense, right?
There is nothing wrong with you supporting the company. There is nothing wrong with you reiterating your support.

However, you talk in absolutes. Such as this little gem of a comment.

The only people talking about problems with QTP's are the people that have never even seen a set in person.
Really? Thats funny because I could have sworn there have been a half douzen guys (in this thread alone) that have owned them, had problems with them, and ditched-them/wouldn't recommend them. Mind you there have also been a handful that (such as yourself) that have not had any problems with them and think they are great headers.

I have seen complaints about QTP's, Kooks and ARH's. Naturally, you will see more with QTP's and Kooks because they have been out longer. Naturally, you will see the most about QTP's because they sell the best because of the pricing vs. quality. Law of averages. If you sell more, you will have more complaints.
You say this, but earlier you say you could count the number of folks having issues on ONE hand. Which is it? I think it is whichever one is convinent for your argument at the time. Here is the lineup of excuses/explinations (all of which are contradictory to one another)

1) Can Count the people who have experianced problems on one hand.
2) People have an agenda against QTP, so they make multiple user names to bad mouth them.
3) QTP sells SOOO many headers (because their pricing/quality is superior to everyone else's) that they get more complaints due to the there LARGE market share.

So which is it. Nobody has problems with these headers, people have problems but they have a secret vendetta against QTP and create multiple user names, or because of QTP's massive market share in the ls1 headers segment of aftermarket parts market they simply experiance more complaints due to the "law of averages".

The guy wanted a simple comparision between QTP and kooks. His objective was to solicit advice from members who have owned a set and could provide meaningful comment as to the performance and overall quality of these products. Instead he got Chocotaco's rants about how there is a conspiracy against QTP, not to mention his tough guy attitude and overall ignorant approach to group debate.

Thanks man, you have ruined another thread.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Point to where I started anything. I'd love to know. I got attacked by two people for no apparent reason. Then, cheerleaders like you blame me for something that wasn't my fault. Show me where I did something wrong. If not, shut up.

everytime you get into a thread retard. you have something to say. im not a cheerleader im tired of listening to you babble on. how about you keep your retarded *** out of the qtp threads being you are their biggest cheerleader and cant take another point of view.

Last edited by ls2 bait; 04-23-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

That's BS. In my years on LS1tech, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a thread concerning a QTP collector that has leaked. I challenge you to search and find more than five instances in LS1tech's history. There were 2 threads that came about at around the same time. I guess 2 sets out of thousands classify as "A LOT of people"?
and that was your first reply in this thread. you had an attitude right off the bat. so either get over it and share your experience in a civil way or hit the road.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weezzer
One reason you could count the treads "on one hand" was because (somehow) the threads would just dissappear. Couple of years ago when I got my QTP set I had major fitment problems with my PS header - the air fitting wasn't drilled thru the primary, bolt hole spread was way off (even though the holes were drilled 1/16" oversized), header/head interface was only partially milled flat, big leaking gaps on both headers at the merge collector, etc.

The point is, my thread just disappeared, as well as a couple more new threads posted on QTP leaking problems within a couple days of my post.

The threads don't seem to disappear anymore, which I think is a good thing. I think board managers have realized most of us aren't "problem customers" but custormers with real problems.

THANKYOU. I believe both you and I both had our threads locked on this subject
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Guys please just chill, no need for name calling and inappropriate foul words here.

Thanks,
Craig.
LS1TECH.com Staff
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man what a crapstorm! I'm not deterred against QTP. I've heard good and bad about almost every header, although Kooks seem to garner the most praise. I have no experience with headers in the LS realm other than the mids that are on the car from the previous owner.

I do not hesitate to call companies and ask directly what their warranty and customer service plan is. If you buy a product for nearly 1,000 dollars and don't know your rights as a customer then that is your problem. If you fear QTP's quality control then simply give them a call and ask questions. I will not belittle anyone who has had a bad experience with a company, but if you tell us that customer service sucked and you don't include the specifics then I'm less inclined to believe you. Who did you talk to? What was said, etc.

I won't bash a company without telling you my full experience. That is unfair to the people that work at that company. Peace to everyone, please try to be civil. If you can' t do that on here then please start your own site!

Last edited by JosephIV; 04-24-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: paragraph spacing
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Man what a crapstorm! I'm not deterred against QTP. I've heard good and bad about almost every header, although Kooks seem to garner the most praise. I have no experience with headers in the LS realm other than the mids that are on the car from the previous owner.

I do not hesitate to call companies and ask directly what their warranty and customer service plan is. If you buy a product for nearly 1,000 dollars and don't know your rights as a customer then that is your problem. If you fear QTP's quality control then simply give them a call and ask questions. I will not belittle anyone who has had a bad experience with a company, but if you tell us that customer service sucked and you don't include the specifics then I'm less inclined to believe you. Who did you talk to? What was said, etc.

I won't bash a company without telling you my full experience. That is unfair to the people that work at that company. Peace to everyone, please try to be civil. If you can' t do that on here then please start your own site!

well i can tell you from experience that the qtp customer service is very lacking. as well as qc. when you call them if they answer the phone they are very rude about the issues you have with the product. as if the felt i was full of garbage and their is no way something is wrong with their product. this can be shared with several people on this board. i have dealt with them on a couple occasions for both my electric cutout falling apart twice and the less then stellar quality of the headers in which i recieved. now i have seen these headers put on 3 other local cars and 2 of them had no issues at all and were a nice product. mine and one other were not. overall they are a decent header and are getting the job done but i would not buy them again. i have seen 10 or more arh systems installed over the past year and every single one was flawless and fit perfectly. and the quality of the headers was beautiful. i would love to see them with a polished finish.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
well i can tell you from experience that the qtp customer service is very lacking. as well as qc. when you call them if they answer the phone they are very rude about the issues you have with the product. as if the felt i was full of garbage and their is no way something is wrong with their product. this can be shared with several people on this board. i have dealt with them on a couple occasions for both my electric cutout falling apart twice and the less then stellar quality of the headers in which i recieved. now i have seen these headers put on 3 other local cars and 2 of them had no issues at all and were a nice product. mine and one other were not. overall they are a decent header and are getting the job done but i would not buy them again. i have seen 10 or more arh systems installed over the past year and every single one was flawless and fit perfectly. and the quality of the headers was beautiful. i would love to see them with a polished finish.
Very interesting, and a good post. It sucks that no matter what I look at buying there will always be some negatives given to a particular product.

I have 3 different people locally telling me that my best route for headers are 3 different brands. So far Hooker, Pacesetter, and Kooks are getting endorsement due to differing factors.

It seems that I may be best served in saving the money for a set of Kooks, Stainless works, or Dynatech and maybe have a custom stainless Y made. I will research the Hell out of this subject though. I hope the threadstarter makes a good choice and can post his experience.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Very interesting, and a good post. It sucks that no matter what I look at buying there will always be some negatives given to a particular product.

I have 3 different people locally telling me that my best route for headers are 3 different brands. So far Hooker, Pacesetter, and Kooks are getting endorsement due to differing factors.

It seems that I may be best served in saving the money for a set of Kooks, Stainless works, or Dynatech and maybe have a custom stainless Y made. I will research the Hell out of this subject though. I hope the threadstarter makes a good choice and can post his experience.
yes no matter what you go with u will heat a negative about it somewhere from somoeone. just a few more people have the same opinion of the qtp products as opposed to others. they are a nice header just not want i expected and def not up to the level of an arh. imo kooks arent so hot neither fitment wise but the quality is nice. i was very happy with my pacesetters. i only removed due to them not being stainless.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen a complaint about ARH ever show me the post......I have qtp's but i had to have my local welder fix the leaks, thankfully theyre alright now
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
... when you call them - if they answer the phone - they are very rude about the issues you have with the product. as if the felt i was full of garbage and their is no way something is wrong with their product...
That must be their standard operating proceedure.

My experience went along the exact same lines, the basic premise was:

1. "There is nothing wrong with it, its supposed to be that way."
2. "You just don't get it, you just don't understand how this works."
3. "You need to go find a "Real" shop and let them explain it to you."

At this point if you disagree any further your pretty much labeled a nusance and the next thing you'll probably hear is that annoying "CLICK" from the phone being disconnected.

LOL
Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all you guys were giving Choco a hard time before he even got in the thread so that being said I think QTPs are a good header, polished is very nice. I have read way more than one instance of leaky collectors tho and I think their y pipe is poop. I say if your gonna use a custom y or duals, roll the dice and maybe you'll get some solid ones. I'm with LS2 bait on their customer service, not so good. This is only from what I have read several times tho. Most of the fast guys I know (8-10 second cars) use Kooks. If they were really leaving any power on the table I'm sure they'd switch. You just can't go wrong with Kooks. ARHs are relatively new and haven't seen any 1st hand.