Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks vs qtp's

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Kook's on both cars....would never even consider a different header.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Qtp's here and they have leaked since the day I got them. Strongly would recommend kooks or ARH. QTP's customer service also suffers horribly
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have TWO votes of leak problems with QTPs. I purchased a set in early 2006 along with my brother, and I installed my right away and didn't think I had problems. I noticed my brother's had some spots in the collectors, where the spike was supposed to be welded, and they took them back and sent another set (I actually have pictures where I shined a flashlight through the back of the collector and shot a picture inside the collector and it's EASY to see light actually come through the spike...) They ended up leaking. After that, I checked mine and had the same problem. I ended up using from exhaust manifold repair and tried to pack it into the collector area, inside the spike, in an effort to plug them up, and I can't tell you how much ticking has gone away. I think that's proof enough. As far as causing power problems, I can't say for sure. I know that my car dynod' 354/365 with QTP standard collectors and 366/371 with the HVMCs on the same dyno with the same tuner. I had to also trim the crossmember on both cars on the passenger's sides.

I say go ARH for better QC, fitment, and Y-pipe. Pay a little more money and worry a little less about problems.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
i already have slp loudmouth n thats why i want the long tubes to make it loud as hell lol n when i really wanna scare people i could just open up the cut out mwahaha. How much power do u get with a cut out?
Thats a bad idea. I has the slp loudmouth with kooks headers and ORY. It was stupid loud, lots of rattling and i was loosing power because i had no back pressure. I bought a corsa catback to quiet it down. Its still the loudest car out of all my friends and i gained alot more power too. Right now with the kooks headers and ORY, slp Lid, Corsa catback and ls6 intake im making 350whp and 360ftlbs. Im very happy with the setup
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crashinaz
Please don't beg Choco'. It suits you too well. If you MUST have me identify the error in your post (not that I mentioned there was one), I bolded it for you ... Not including yourself in that category is your error... Everyone knows you're QTP's greatest fan regardless of the scenario and it gives life meaning for you to advocate the existence of the self proclaimed single best header manufacturer in the solar system... Your debate team would be proud! I bet if you took a poll of people who have visited this thread, 50% did so to see your pro-QTP response... It's entertaining. NOW... Who's "just calling it like it is"? Enjoy your evening and BTW... TSP has a new header out, better get arguing QTP's superiority.
Please. Give me a break. I have had very good luck with my QTP's. I have a lot of posts on this site, so I have commented on a lot of the threads over time. What's your point? I don't have an agenda. I'm not getting paid for this. I'm just speaking the truth.

The only people talking about problems with QTP's are the people that have never even seen a set in person. Nearly EVERYONE that has ever bought QTP's have had nothing but good luck with them. You hear a handful of complaints because QTP sells a ton of headers. You're hearing less than 1% of the customers complain, and you hear it the most from QTP's because they outsell the other stainless brands.

You're clueless, man.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
actualy i was waiting for it lol. and choco dude, there have been more than enough threds on QTPs and their problems. two things. one - im pretty sure you have never seen anything (held) other than QTP's due to your ignorance that they are the best. two - id like for you to show me a dyno that shows an HVMC gaining a **** load over say kooks or dynatechs. lol you dont even have HVMC!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/700678-results-qtp-hvmc-vs-pacesetters.html

Read that threat. QTP's showed HUGE gains over Pacesetters from nothing but a simple longtube swap.

And yes, my QTP's have HVMC's. You're incorrect.

I have seen and held plenty of headers in my lifetime. My buddy's brother owns a shop. He used to have **** all over the place. I have no idea what all the brands were, but none of them were as nice as my QTP's from a looks standpoint. They're the nicest headers I've ever seen.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

imo the qtp's are subpar. not a bad header but if i had bought them when the price point was high i would have returned them. i liked the pacesetters better. and the ps fit way better as well. they just werent stainless. from the 9000 headers ive seen/ held in recent years arh are by far the best one on the market in terms of quality. dyno numbers are always going to be inconclusive and u cant do a back to back comparison.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700678

Read that threat. QTP's showed HUGE gains over Pacesetters from nothing but a simple longtube swap.

And yes, my QTP's have HVMC's. You're incorrect.

I have seen and held plenty of headers in my lifetime. My buddy's brother owns a shop. He used to have **** all over the place. I have no idea what all the brands were, but none of them were as nice as my QTP's from a looks standpoint. They're the nicest headers I've ever seen.
Apples and oranges douche bag. thats like saying qtp's look better than uncoated pacesetters after 5 new england winters. idiot. you should be driving a honda if you are looking for the "bling effect" in a header. and ya well my buddys, older brothers, best friends, uncles 18th removed half cousins, dog thinks your a mush. and i tend to agree.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is an HVMC lol i dnt no what it is?I hope i can find a deal soon cause it needs to be louder
Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

High Velocity Merge Collector. where the 4 pipes meet into one circular outlet, there is apparently some thing that spins the air in a certain flow better than other headers without HVMC, which in turn increases HP and Torque.
You're going to hear a battle over a header all day.

If you take it from me, I bought QTP with the collectors. They look fantastic, perform better, But i can personally tell you once again i did have fitment issues. you will need to change your motor mounts to poly mounts if you do this installation and possibly grind the K-Member down. As far as the stainless steel is concerned. You'll only see it when you open up your hood.

Overall if you have the money to do it, go for it. The gains are proven, but that's not to say that QTP > Kooks or ARH... They are ALL equally high quality headers. Go with the best fitment and quality of the price... Like others have stated QTP doesnt have the best customer support. As for everything else i'm completely unaware of how everything else works with Kooks or ARH because i've never personally experienced them.

Take your time. Do it right the first time.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanx relapse thats what im trying to do n i appreciate all your guys help. its just so hard to wait lol
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

It's worth it to wait and do it right, i promise. As much as i understand how bad you want your car to start being mean and fast... You do it right the first time and never have to fix it. Have you picked out an exhaust to flow with your headers yet?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i already have lsp loudmouth on the car n i like the way it sounds now but need some more haha
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

That's BS. In my years on LS1tech, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a thread concerning a QTP collector that has leaked. I challenge you to search and find more than five instances in LS1tech's history. There were 2 threads that came about at around the same time. I guess 2 sets out of thousands classify as "A LOT of people"?
One reason you could count the treads "on one hand" was because (somehow) the threads would just dissappear. Couple of years ago when I got my QTP set I had major fitment problems with my PS header - the air fitting wasn't drilled thru the primary, bolt hole spread was way off (even though the holes were drilled 1/16" oversized), header/head interface was only partially milled flat, big leaking gaps on both headers at the merge collector, etc.

The point is, my thread just disappeared, as well as a couple more new threads posted on QTP leaking problems within a couple days of my post.

The threads don't seem to disappear anymore, which I think is a good thing. I think board managers have realized most of us aren't "problem customers" but custormers with real problems.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
Apples and oranges douche bag. thats like saying qtp's look better than uncoated pacesetters after 5 new england winters. idiot. you should be driving a honda if you are looking for the "bling effect" in a header. and ya well my buddys, older brothers, best friends, uncles 18th removed half cousins, dog thinks your a mush. and i tend to agree.
You're a bitter little ***** aren't you? I can only imagine what you look like, spouting words like that behind the safety of your keyboard. I'd like to see you say that to my face, especially since your little rant there was completely unprovoked. Coward.

Grow up.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a bitter little ***** aren't you? I can only imagine what you look like, spouting words like that behind the safety of your keyboard. I'd like to see you say that to my face, especially since your little rant there was completely unprovoked. Coward.

Grow up.
you start **** in every thread u enter. when r u going to just shut up?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

That's some really good numbers and gains.

I have Pacesetter LT's and back when I had my QTP catless ORY and LM1 cat-back I dynoed 350hp and 360tq on a partial tune. Not bad huh with HP Tuners. The only other things I had were LS6 intake manifold and SLP air lid with stock bottom box and bottom cut out. I still have my pacesetter lt's but have TSP TDs and have not yet dynoed to see where I am at.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

why are there so many chocotaco wars?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
you start **** in every thread u enter. when r u going to just shut up?
Point to where I started anything. I'd love to know. I got attacked by two people for no apparent reason. Then, cheerleaders like you blame me for something that wasn't my fault. Show me where I did something wrong. If not, shut up.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
why are there so many chocotaco wars?
Good question. People like starting them for no reason. Maybe it's because I'll actually tell them to **** off if they start something for no apparent reason