Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I had broken exhaust hanger, this is what I found

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thought I had broken exhaust hanger, this is what I found

Running Texas Speed True Duals on a stock height SS. Other than a few scrapes here and there on speed bumps, no major issues with exhaust. One day, it sounded like exhaust was hitting underside of car when I'd go over a speed bump. Crawled under best I could and saw one (come to find out ONLY) exhaust hanger had broke a weld. Continued on and was just extra cautious going over big bumps. Few days ago it sounded my exhaust was dragging on the ground. Looked under car and driver's side of exhaust was maybe 1/4" off the ground and pass side was still tucked up where it originally had been. Figured maybe an exhaust hanger for driver's side had broke off. Brought it into exhaust shop today to get hangers welded back up and this is what I found:

X-pipe totally cracked down the center on the top and driver's side portion was in the process of breaking off. Had them cut it off right before the x-pipe for the time being. Sounds like crap now, but atleast won't have to worry about a pipe flying out for under my car. Going to order a new X-pipe and when my car goes in for H/C install in 2 weeks I'll have them put it all back together and properly mount it up under the car.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, that sucks
Old 04-19-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

wow, um how long have you had the system, this is kind of discouraging...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought it used. I've had it on my car for about 15 months and maybe put 5,000 miles if that on the car. Not sure how long the previous owner had it on the car for.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Damn thats crazy. Was the hanger close to the x?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've definately never seen anything like that before. The TSP duals use high quality tubing... With all the scrapes on the bottom of the x, I wonder if it was finally beat into submission!?!?!?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

suprising
Old 04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Teching In

isn't the weld supposed to be the strongest part ?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thechad
isn't the weld supposed to be the strongest part ?
thats what ive been told with proper welding
Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

key word: speed bumps. i cant take my car over any stupid speed bumps to save my life...one time i was balancine back and foreward on my frame/exhaust. i go around speed bumps at any cost.

oh...and the weld is never the strongest part...maybe around the weld area, but the weld is just there to hold the 2 pieces of metal together. it is, and always will be the weakest part of any metal fabricated material.

poor welds are very common in every industry...but the auto industry should be using laser welds...idk what the problem is.

but, in any case....welds are the first to go on exhausts driven through alot of salt.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually kadinz, you are incorrect. the weld is infact the strongest part of anything that is welded together, thats why if you weld say an exhaust back together and it breaks again it usually breaks near the original area but not on the weld.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

i hardly ever hit my tsp td. even on speed bumps. I am stock height
Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrob56
thats what ive been told with proper welding
ya it is but as you can see (not bashing tsp here just stating an observation) the metal right at the edge of the weld has become brittle and cracked. Could have from abuse or just that bach of metal was not the best and the welder was not dialed in. But with those scrapes and a broken hanger lead me to suspect if it had not been abused you would have had many more years out of that system. And i am not saying it was abused either it is just that is where the weakest part is because of the welding.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

as i said, well...said it wrong..sorry about that, the area around the weld is always the weakest part of any metal fabricated material because of the heat you're spreading around that area while welding. metal gets weaker and weaker each and every time it gets red hot, and if you have a bad welder...its even worse.

Quick Reply: Thought I had broken exhaust hanger, this is what I found