Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats wrong with my car guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whats wrong with my car guys...

Okay, i've replaced the idler pulley, (the inital problem), ive replaced the tensioner, the water pump and the belt itself a couple times. I've done all of this and it's still squeaking. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes its real real bad.
I put it on a dyno at a car show because it wasn't squeaking that day. On the first pass he revved it to about redline and when he put the clutch in and let the tenison off the motor the belt popped. the belt didn't completely break but it shred about a quarter inch of it's width off.
I took it to a shop today and they flat out said they didn't know what was wrong. I told them i suspected the crank pulley wasn't balanced and they said it looked perfectly fine, he said the rubber on the inside was in good condition so that wouldn't cause it to be off balance. it hasn't been removed to it should still be okay.
So... does anyone know the root of all this evil because i can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the novel but i wanted ya'll to have the details.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

could it be something to do with my motor mounts?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i don't think it's your motor mounts, if it was mine should have shredded along time ago lol it's your main belt that shredded or is it your ac belt? i know my ac belt squeaks like a bitch so i took it off at header install. maybe you needed one of those gatorback belts, abit stronger than stock . . . is your car stock or do you have some mods? if any mods who did the work and has it done this since then or before?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

it's the main belt that shredded, and i've had the ac belt replaced recently too. the car is bone stock except a cutout and cat back. i really just wonder if this'll be something i'll figure out or not. i mean my buddy at the toyota dealership had no clue and he's pretty good. he used to work at a chevy deaelership btw
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

hmmmm i'm not sure then, maybe one of your pulleys is out of balance
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the AC pulley.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

stocker how sure are you of that because that thing looks like a bitch to do... would the a/c pulley affect the main belt at all though, because it seems like it wouldn't be able to make the main belt pop off.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

yeah i went out there and checked man, i let the car run and got under it and listened for the noise, it's more on the driver's side i think..... Should i get under the car with some wd40? i know it's not gonna fix the problem but if i shoot one of the pulleys and it quits makin noise i'll know which one it is. But something inside me says it's not a good idea to put it on the crank pulley...
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM

are you sure that its your belt squeaking and not your alternator? if it is the belt i would try one of those gatorback belts..i havent seen anything squeek with one of those
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

hmm maybe it is, but i don't want to buy any more belts, the stock one is supposed to work and i have this warranty that i bought that doesn't cover any of it... it's rediculous. i'll look into the alternator thing thanks man
Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a very similar problem, did you ever figure this out mike?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Here is my 2 cents. Your UD pulley is sticking out a little too far and needs to be torqued down a little further. Do this and the belt should fit better in the grooves. Ask me how i know this.... (ive had it happen to me). Just gotta fit it back down again with the correct torque numbers (i THINK its 250lbs) i could be wrong on that so make sure you look it up.