Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Fitment-Kooks Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Fitment-Kooks Y-pipe

Anybody else have problems with the fitment of their Kook's Y-pipe? I installed some Kooks headers today on a firends car, and planned on installing the y-pipe. No go. THe headers a NICE piece BTW.

The 3" Y-pipe is in 2 pieces. The passenger side slips on great. The Driver's side collector sits extremely close to the floorboard. About .5 inch I would say. This makes it to where the Ypipe can't go on at the right angle. Once I got it started I banged the living **** out of it with a mallet only to get it to slip on about .5 inch over the collector. The floorboard is in the way so it won't go on any firther. I tried jacking the car up in all kinds of wried angles but no luck. I could also see that the y-pipe was going to be literally ON the floorboard if I ever did get it on there.

One more problem. Where the 2 pieces of the Y-pipe slip together they just plain did not fit! Kooks clearly did not even check this before they shipped them. With them off the car i tried slamming the piece in with no luck. What I finally did was borrow a huge angle grinder and went to town. Shaved a large portion of the passenger side y-pipe down. Then I was able to slip it in with the help of a mallet.

I think I can fix the one issue left with the floorbaord clearance issues on Monday once I get it on a lift. Unfortunately the only thing I can think of doing short of bulding a new pipe is to flatten the y-pipe a tint bit more in that one spot, then weld a valve spring on there to avoid the tapping.

Anybody else run into this?
Old 08-02-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Bad Fitment-Kooks Y-pipe

I have had several issues with different Y pipes but I have always been able to get them to slip on with some WD-40. Sorry about your luck.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Loosen the header bolts. After fighting my y-pipe a couple of times(on and off) I found that if the headers are loose it slips on much easier.

Josh
Old 08-03-2003, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Loosen the header bolts. After fighting my y-pipe a couple of times(on and off) I found that if the headers are loose it slips on much easier.

Josh
Yep, good advice, I did the same thing...

Also, you can use Vasiline to help slide it on too...
Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Launching!

I also had fitment problems with my y-pipe. On top of this it was too short

Also I used anti-sieze. The purpose of this was to not only make the installation easier but when I have to break down the Y-pipe I won't have to worry about corrosion and biuldup.

The installation goes a lot easier if you don't have the catback installed. If you do on the other hand, take off the bracket that secures the muffler just past the axle bend. This will give you a lot more adjustability as far as installing the y-pipe. The only other advice I can give you is make sure it fits before you get under the car; I had that issue as well. Then when you are instlling the pipe make sure that you start at the headers first and then only slip them on only enough to hold them in place this will give you more adjustability when trying to section the y-pipe together. This is all that I can think of right now. I hopes this helps some people out though. But trust me it WILL fit with or without the catback installed and my header bolts were already torqued down when I went to install the y-pipe so it will fit this way as well. But apparently my pipe fits better than some others according to your descriptions so you may have to install the pipe before the headers bolts are torqued down, just to be on the safe side.

OH YEAH! THE HEADERS ARE GREAT
Old 08-05-2003, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Does this Y have cats? I found the Kooks Y hard to install and for a while I didn't think it could be done. The cat on the driver's side was hitting the floor board when I was trying to get the Y hooked to the collector on that side. I fought for it for a couple of hours and once it was assembled, I found the fit was very good. It is really close to the floor board on the driver's side but never hits and gives a ton of clearance for lowered cars.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

yes i had the same problem with those header is pain in the *** now i had problem with the y pipe is hitting somewhere in the bottow of the car but not sure what it is
anybody has the same problem with that y pipe
Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Teching In

i'm so sick of my y pipe in my car please any help
Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99greenbird
yes i had the same problem with those header is pain in the *** now i had problem with the y pipe is hitting somewhere in the bottow of the car but not sure what it is
anybody has the same problem with that y pipe
Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Me A Call 1 631 586 9002 Ext 308 George