Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HP gain of custom ram air over STOCK setup...Track results tomorrow
0 gain no difference over stock
6.38%
1-5hp gain (.1-.5mph)
37.23%
6-10hp gain (.6-1mph)
21.28%
11-15hp gain (1.1-1.5mph)
19.15%
16-20hp gain (1.6-2.0mph)
7.45%
20+hp gain (2.0+mph)
8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

MY RAM AIR VS. stock setup...How much HP Dif...TRACK RESULTS TOM.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
so you just push the radiator back some to create more room with the ac crap out of the way?
Even better it doesn't need to be recessed at all...stock location...the condenser space takes up about 1.75"...so the intake opening jumps to more than double the size... ...can suck up small animals now...ha
Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gm hightech performance mag did a whole section on this. Check it out.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Even better it doesn't need to be recessed at all...stock location...the condenser space takes up about 1.75"...so the intake opening jumps to more than double the size... ...can suck up small animals now...ha
So did you already have the a/c out before you did this test? I'm just wondering how much gain is from this part and how much if I just take the a/c out. The condensor is blocking alot of air. Also, Do you block off the part in front of the lid where the air comes in now or just leave it?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

So did you already have the a/c out before you did this test? I'm just wondering how much gain is from this part and how much if I just take the a/c out. The condensor is blocking alot of air. Also, Do you block off the part in front of the lid where the air comes in now or just leave it?
block off the front stock breathing slit...also the condenser is not blocking air from coming into the intake, it blocks the ram air from being made larger...also the ac system weighed 33lbs so we can contribute .3mph to weight reduction...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

block off the front stock breathing slit...also the condenser is not blocking air from coming into the intake, it blocks the ram air from being made larger...also the ac system weighed 33lbs so we can contribute .3mph to weight reduction...
I guess what I'm asking is did you do any test after removing the a/c BEFORE installing your ram air setup or did you remove the a/c and install your piece at the same time?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

I guess what I'm asking is did you do any test after removing the a/c BEFORE installing your ram air setup or did you remove the a/c and install your piece at the same time?
and to answer that the ac does not affect flow it is only a weight reduction mod...so it helped by removing weight from the car...33lb or .3mph...yes I did both at the same time...but when I did by track testing it was just the ram air vs the stock setup with the ac removed for both...check out the beginning of the thread...

so really the totals from before with ac to after without ac and ram air would be my track results 2.7 mph plus the weight reduction of the ac of 33lb or .3mph...so the total gains would be around 3mph...not to bad

Last edited by chrs1313; 02-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Chris, what lid, maf, tb, and intake are you using? I'm running a FAST 92 with a NW 90mm tb, stock maf and an SLP lid. I'm looking for ways to increase the flow/volume of incoming air. I was thinking of swaping to a FastToys lid, GM 85mm maf, and 92mm tb when I get you ram air setup.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Hey Chris, what lid, maf, tb, and intake are you using? I'm running a FAST 92 with a NW 90mm tb, stock maf and an SLP lid. I'm looking for ways to increase the flow/volume of incoming air. I was thinking of swaping to a FastToys lid, GM 85mm maf, and 92mm tb when I get you ram air setup.
that is the exact setup I had 85mm gm truck maf was like 35 on eBay, FTP 85mm lid, smooth bellows(I started a thread on it), 92 mm Tb and 92 mm fast...I would change the maf and lid but unless you can swap the tbs cheap I wouldn't worry about the 2mm difference cause the maf at 85mm will still be the biggest restriction...

also what I did was ordered my lid without an iat hole and just used a 5-3 pin connector and ran off the iat in the maf...so the iat is not on the funnel blocking some flow...might not have helped any but is a slightly cleaner install too...

remember after a maf change to reap the benifits you need to touch up the tune...hense why I did all of this when I did my cam swap
Old 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

that is the exact setup I had 85mm gm truck maf was like 35 on eBay, FTP 85mm lid, smooth bellows(I started a thread on it), 92 mm Tb and 92 mm fast...I would change the maf and lid but unless you can swap the tbs cheap I wouldn't worry about the 2mm difference cause the maf at 85mm will still be the biggest restriction...

also what I did was ordered my lid without an iat hole and just used a 5-3 pin connector and ran off the iat in the maf...so the iat is not on the funnel blocking some flow...might not have helped any but is a slightly cleaner install too...

remember after a maf change to reap the benifits you need to touch up the tune...hense why I did all of this when I did my cam swap
Cool, thanks Chris. I was planning on having the tune touched up anyways since I'm changing both my intake and exhaust setup.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

and to answer that the ac does not affect flow it is only a weight reduction mod...so it helped by removing weight from the car...33lb or .3mph...yes I did both at the same time...but when I did by track testing it was just the ram air vs the stock setup with the ac removed for both...check out the beginning of the thread...

so really the totals from before with ac to after without ac and ram air would be my track results 2.7 mph plus the weight reduction of the ac of 33lb or .3mph...so the total gains would be around 3mph...not to bad
That's what I was looking for .Thanks, that is great for the money. You are making me want to take my a/c out and buy one. I bet it would pick up a little more great with my heads and cam car.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

That's what I was looking for .Thanks, that is great for the money. You are making me want to take my a/c out and buy one. I bet it would pick up a little more great with my heads and cam car.
thanks sounds good...I would pull the ac after doing it myself I don't know why I waited so long in the first place...
Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I would change the maf and lid but unless you can swap the tbs cheap I wouldn't worry about the 2mm difference cause the maf at 85mm will still be the biggest restriction...
There is a thread around here somewhere in that FTP posted the measurements of the 85mm MAF. I pulled the info and saved it for later reference.

"What people refer to as an 85mm MAF actually is larger than 85mm. The OD is actually 96mm and the ID is 90mm. For the MAF to slide inside our lid, the ID of the lid is 98mm."

So according to that and not accounting for the screen restriction the ID measurement is a bit larger than its name...wierd.

Here it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/7842521-post15.html

Last edited by ssgunny; 02-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

^ true but add in the guts of the maf and your area will be less than a 90mm Tb...the maf is still the restriction...
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

thanks sounds good...I would pull the ac after doing it myself I don't know why I waited so long in the first place...
It's hotter than hell here in Texas. Nice ******* on that critter in your avatar btw lol. As soon as I buy a daily driver, I'll hit you up for a non ac one and sale the ac to buy it. At this point I still drive it everyday and pick up kids and all so no ac just would not work right now. Also, why do you seal up the factory ram air slit? It seems like a little cool air would still get in there from the hood insert?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

It's hotter than hell here in Texas. Nice ******* on that critter in your avatar btw lol. As soon as I buy a daily driver, I'll hit you up for a non ac one and sale the ac to buy it. At this point I still drive it everyday and pick up kids and all so no ac just would not work right now. Also, why do you seal up the factory ram air slit? It seems like a little cool air would still get in there from the hood insert?
sounds good...

thanks on the critter that's the gf...

and think of the lid ad a tank to an air compressor...opening be front slit would be like putting a hole in your tank...the ram air is not additive...you are only as strong as your weakest link...since the stock ram air does hardly increase the pressure at all...all the air you are trying to ram in there from the bottom would be lost out that slit...
Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

sounds good...

thanks on the critter that's the gf...

and think of the lid ad a tank to an air compressor...opening be front slit would be like putting a hole in your tank...the ram air is not additive...you are only as strong as your weakest link...since the stock ram air does hardly increase the pressure at all...all the air you are trying to ram in there from the bottom would be lost out that slit...
Oh ok. It would probably keep all of my nitrous spray in there as well huh? I have the fan nozzle under the neck of the lid aimed at the maf. It couldn't hurt in that respect.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 AM
MASS seller approved

i will have a chris 1313 on the way tuesday and im planning on track testing the car first im really hoping for +2 mph on a cam only car it will be fast 90/90 ftp 98mm 85mm maf no free ram air mod vs chris1313 ram air the non AC version
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
i will have a chris 1313 on the way tuesday and im planning on track testing the car first im really hoping for +2 mph on a cam only car it will be fast 90/90 ftp 98mm 85mm maf no free ram air mod vs chris1313 ram air the non AC version
NO, do the free ram air mod first 95% of us have that already.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
MASS seller approved

NO, do the free ram air mod first 95% of us have that already.
ya the guy i bought the car from was homo sounding and it was 100% stock now it has a little over 400 rwhp i hope after my lid/maf/ud swap it will do 420-430ish i can do the ram air mod and i also have an slp cai laying around i could throw on there to decrease his numbers too if you wanted
Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
ya the guy i bought the car from was homo sounding and it was 100% stock now it has a little over 400 rwhp i hope after my lid/maf/ud swap it will do 420-430ish i can do the ram air mod and i also have an slp cai laying around i could throw on there to decrease his numbers too if you wanted
you sir can suck my *****. You're the one tryin to get every bit of hp out of it. I was just trying to compare apples to apples. Free ram air does a little something. Don't get your g-string panties in a wad.

Quick Reply: MY RAM AIR VS. stock setup...How much HP Dif...TRACK RESULTS TOM.