Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake install going on tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking LS6 intake install going on tomorrow...DONE PICS.

ok this is my last check up. here is what i have...ls6 intake of course
-egr+air block offs with gaskets.
-intake and tb gaskets.
-ops sensor.
-plug for side of the lid where the air was.

uh i really want to know if i am missing anything. i have head of some needing to rent a fuel line dissconect tool. can i just leave all that stuff together on the fuel rail and not need to go get a tool? any info would be great. i have read the install on ls1howto.com and others here. i am still confused what to do about the fuel lines.
starting early AM...

Last edited by bigti99a; 05-27-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
ok this is my last check up. here is what i have...ls6 intake of course
-egr+air block offs with gaskets.
-intake and tb gaskets.
-ops sensor.
-plug for side of the lid where the air was.

uh i really want to know if i am missing anything. i have head of some needing to rent a fuel line dissconect tool. can i just leave all that stuff together on the fuel rail and not need to go get a tool? any info would be great. i have read the install on ls1howto.com and others here. i am still confused what to do about the fuel lines.
starting early AM...
When I did my ls6 intake change I left the fuel rail alone. I simple undid the 4 bolts from the manilfold and pulled it out as a unit and left the fuel rail in the car while I changed the manifolds. I then put the fuel rail on the new manifold before I bolted the new manifold down. I never had to touch the fuel disconnect or anything like that.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

very cool. that is what i was hoping. and i realized i left out that i have already trimed where i need to on the bottom to clear coolant lines.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Be sure to calibrate your seat of the pants meter prior to install. Report back on what you think of this mod. Iknow everybody does it, but is it worth 3/4 the price of a N2O kit???
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know what beats the squeeze. but this is a dd that i need to baby for just a little longer. my sotp meter will get back to you. i have stock manifolds so i dont expect too much but i think i will feel it.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
Be sure to calibrate your seat of the pants meter prior to install. Report back on what you think of this mod. Iknow everybody does it, but is it worth 3/4 the price of a N2O kit???
I noticed very little when I did it. The car has more top end in it though, thats about it. N2O will be in the future I think
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, When you're taking your manifold out, take note ( the large vacuum hose on mine was stuck on the back of the manifold when I swapped my manifold) of the hose routing on the back of the manifold. I spent way too much time trying to figure out which exact way that hose was routed when I did mine. Just in case you have to take out the large vacuum hose with the manifold.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes dont break the oil sending unit as well, a lot of times the brake booster vacuum line will hit the oil sending unit and break it, just be very careful when taking everything out.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the large vacumn line from the booster side and snake it out. It's too damn easy.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well here it is 7:30 and pssssssst...
it begins.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

I have to finish mine too.. broke the sending unit of course. Grrr..
Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Restricted User

hope it's all in there correctly! You'll definitely feel the difference!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok well i got it done earlier in the day and have been busy running around since. i did end up breaking the OPS and it was hell running around finding a socket deep enough to put the new one on.
between that and the #7 injector harness i have some pretty cut up hands and arms. that cowl is vicious. i did need some washers for the AIR block offs they where slightly thin but worked well. i left the air pump in there for now and just pulled the fuse until later this weekend when i have more time.
i havent had time to drive it yet, so i am not sure of a difference. but there are no leaks thank god. i still have to put a screw in the vacume line, adjust the throttle body slightly, and remove the AIR pump. i didnt take any before or during shots but i will take some after shot and post them up.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

How the hell are you bafoons breaking the OPSU?!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

here are some pics of the end result. no time to take pics during the install unfortunately i had a schedual to keep.
Attached Thumbnails LS6 intake install going on tomorrow.-s5004310l.jpg   LS6 intake install going on tomorrow.-s5004311l.jpg   LS6 intake install going on tomorrow.-s5004312l.jpg   LS6 intake install going on tomorrow.-s5004313l.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

good luck! are you going to paint it before you pop it on?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

just saw your last post, looks great!! im going to paint mine pewter when i get it =D. nice work!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, its much closer to a deep maroon instead of red like the pics look. very close to the cars color. i think painting it is definately worth the extra time and effort.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigti99a
ok well i got it done earlier in the day and have been busy running around since. i did end up breaking the OPS and it was hell running around finding a socket deep enough to put the new one on.
between that and the #7 injector harness i have some pretty cut up hands and arms. that cowl is vicious. i did need some washers for the AIR block offs they where slightly thin but worked well. i left the air pump in there for now and just pulled the fuse until later this weekend when i have more time.
i havent had time to drive it yet, so i am not sure of a difference. but there are no leaks thank god. i still have to put a screw in the vacume line, adjust the throttle body slightly, and remove the AIR pump. i didnt take any before or during shots but i will take some after shot and post them up.
I have a question for you, when you pulled the manifold out, did you see where the little vacuum hose that connect to the AIR T (for lack of a better word) is connected to on the intake manifold, where you are going to put in a screw? I removed the Air pump and hoses but when removing the AIR T connector I broke off the vacuum hose to whatever it was connected to and now not sure where it was connected to to block it off..Im trying not to have to remove the intake to find out where to block it off.. Or does it matter if I dont..

thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

hummm. well the vacuum line that went to the AIR valve with the 3 large hoses on it is what i plugged. i did not trace it back to its origin though. i can only think that it connects into the vacuum lines coming out of the passenger side of the manifold in the rear. i honestly dont see how you can get your hand back there without moving the intake out slightly. i have the dealer manuals for the 2000 year so i will look at them this week and see if i can find a diagram for you in there.