Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers...what problems can come from doing them? and prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default headers...what problems can come from doing them? and prices

i was looking into getting some jet hot headers. they said $560 for ls1.com board members so i figured that was a good price. i cnat seem to find a ypipe under 170 anyone know where i can go?

ok to the main question now, i have recently read about people having problems with their o2 numbers after doing headers. whats the deal? i dont wanna get something im gonna have to worry about. this has been hard enough trying to get my tune right. anyone that knows anything about the problems with headers please let me know. i dont really wanna put cats back on, kind defeats the purpose if you ask me. are there more problems or just with 02 numbers getting wacked up. i really need to know before i go ahead and order them. thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: headers...what problems can come from doing them? and prices

With the 02s there are 4 of them BTW. the front are for the actual readings that the car takes to change things accordingly. The rears are just to tell the computer if you have cats. If you dont get the code taken out or you use 02 simms then a SES code will appear on the dash. Those are a really good header to get and $170 for a y pipe isnt bad at all. I see them used all the time for cheaper tham that. Headers will reall wake your car up, go for it!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an off road y-pipe made by hooker...I dont lnow If the headers you bought are the same in design...but I'll do the y-pipe for 150 shipped...I havent even taken it out of the box yet....I just decided on duals instead.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Restricted User

With the O2 numbers, it is with almost any header of not all. The O2 bung is moved downstream from its factory position, this changes the heat-up time, and may effect the reading ever so slightly, but not a major worry. With the jet hots, you will need two 24" O2 extensions as well.
With headers you will smell like you running rich, and in fact you may, but even at 14.7:1 (perfect PCM stoich) it is going to smell rich due to not having the cats.
I have the JH's and they were easy to install, and fit great. Not a cleanance problem for my car. Some have the pass side header ends up being too close to the heater box, mine isnt that far away, but it doesnt burn, so its all good.
Ditto for the rear O2 sims as well.

Good-luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah im gonna get the o2 sims i just read of people having pcm problems running too rich or lean because the o2 sensors arent heating up. is this a problem for tuning or anything that can hurt the car or performance? i also read that for the jet hots they have rolocated the 02 bungs so you dont need extentions. yes i would like that pipe ill pm you about it and any idea where i can get extentions cheap?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyone else please?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can get extension from just about every vendor that sells LT headers.... you can also get them from some Auto parts stores and any local custom shops in your area....
Old 08-11-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks man, what i really need to know is if there are gonna be any problems involving my pcm/tuning? i dont wanna deal with that again
Old 08-11-2003, 09:01 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the pre-cat, passenger side O2 sensor throwing the "insufficient switching" code. It would trip the SES light. I had this code deleted (not just reset/cleared, I would clear it with the predator, and it would come back) during a full LS1Edit tune.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

i see u have slp LT's and that seems to be where i hear most of the problems with codes comming from. is that just a coincidence or something with the slp header?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I explained it to the tuner, and he's like, "yeah, the header code." Maybe it's universal.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hijack your thread, but its pretty similar.

I threw the SES light when I was driving to the muffler shop to get a y pipe put in. I drove there with LT headers and a pair of cats connected to it to quiet the car down.

The muffler shop installed my catted y pipe and the SES light stood on. Is that because I don't have o2 simms in the back? Or did I roast an O2 sensor while driving down?

I know I should run autotap, I will soon when I get a chance. But I would like to get an idea now.