Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my future exhaust setup so far.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here's my future exhaust setup so far.

* JBA shorties
* Random Technology Super High Flow cats
* JBA Y-pipe
* DMH Electric Cutouts
* GMMG cat-back
* Flowmaster tips

3" diameter piping??
So whatcha think?
Am I missing anything else?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

won't be that much of a gain power wise when compared to Long tube's, cats/no cats, and a good dual system

however, im sure that particular setup would sound and look good. and since living in the nothing-legal-emissions state of california, this setup might be more hassle-free.

just my .02
Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by drummydummy
won't be that much of a gain power wise when compared to Long tube's, cats/no cats, and a good dual system

however, im sure that particular setup would sound and look good. and since living in the nothing-legal-emissions state of california, this setup might be more hassle-free.

just my .02
+1
I wanna redo the whole exhaust system because the current one is shot (thanks to the previous owner). It's not Cali legal, but I don't have to smog 'till 2010, so I have some time to save up. I just wanna start fresh with something brand new and legal to avoid problems. As long as I can get at least 400hp at the wheels, I'm . It's a street car, won't be on the track.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

um with your current mods and that new exhaust you will not make 400 at the wheels.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Longtubes....
Old 06-01-2008, 07:23 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TransFan
Longtubes....
He is in California.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see that setup gaining about 20hp from a stock setup but will need some help to get to 400. How about a 100shot?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

I understand where you are coming from trying to stay smog legal but you are planning on spending A LOT of money and you won't see much HP/$.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't you CA guys buy your stickers? I know a roadside check would screw you over anyway, but I don't know that much about how the smog legal system works in California.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

In CA the smog techs scan your registration bar code and run the smog test with the smog results being sent electronically to DMV/state.

It doesn't mean that someone can't hook another car up to the smog equipment but I've heard the fines a smog tech would have to pay are HUGE if caught!

I myself went back and forth about getting long tubes or MAC headers but finally decided against it because I didn't want to go through the possible trouble with smog.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrob56
um with your current mods and that new exhaust you will not make 400 at the wheels.
HA! Stupid me. Let me clarify. The exhaust setup is just a start towards many other countless mods to get 400hp at the wheels. I kinda have an idea of what it'll takes. Now, I know that this exhaust setup will be a gain of no more than 20hp, but better than the the crappy, jacked-up one that's on the car now. But, will this setup work??
Old 06-02-2008, 02:19 AM
12 Second Club

you definalty will be spending a good bit of money going with the GMMG and random technology cats...

heres the thing...the JBA shorties are going to flow slightly better then your 98 manifolds...i think (correct me if im wrong) the manifold design was changed in 2000 to flow better and is essentially a shorty header...

getting rid of the stock crushed Y pipe and shitty cats is a good idea no matter how you look at it...i would recommend magnaflow spun metalic cats..but im sure the random tech ones will do fine...

the cutouts will give you the loud badass-ness that you will like to have every now and again (or all the time if you are like me) and add a little hp

the GMMG will sound great and maybe pick up a few ponies over the magnaflow being..that it is a "powerstick" type muffler...

so all in all i think you are going to see some gains and definatly sound great and look just as nice...i think it will easily support 400 rwhp as long as you have the other mods to do it....

here is my thing..what are you going to do to get it 400RWHP and will those mods effect the smog testing ..if you answer is yes then why do the JBAs instead of the longtubes (brand of your choosing) when you may not pass the sniffer anyways...if no then go for the JBAs and dont think twice...

i have had edelbrock shorties on my LT1 and then the MACs on my LS1 and both times i wish i would have just sprung for the longtubes...although the MACs have performed beautifully and i dont know if i would pick up anything going to longtubes...although i might anyways ....

its all your preference!

hope this helps