Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Mark my words, Jonas, you're going to regret this I was right the first time, and I'm confident I'll be right again. I know what's going to happen. You're going to get the GMMG on and be all excited, you're going to force yourself to like it for a few days or a few weeks and you're going to tell us you like it just because you don't want to admit to yourself the mistake you made, and a few months later you're going to hate it and want TD's back and start from scratch all over again.

All this hassle, wasted money and ruined sound to lower a car that already sits on the ground an inch? I'll never understand why anyone would lower an F-body. It just looks ridiculous. You may as well put a lift kit on an airplane. Like it really matters

Want GMMG? Run straight pipe and take a hammer to it. I'll never understand why people pay so much for that exhaust. It sounds okay, but $700 for "okay" is hard to swallow.
You are adding exactly nothing to this thread other than your own personal bitch so change your tampon and leave
Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I am building a custom Y pipe. so far with the angle pipes, some straight pipes and a Flowmaster merge all SS keep in mind i am at $188
How'd you get a stainless steel Flowmaster merge I don't think they make one?

I am not going with cats, dont ask me why jsut dont want them. And QTP uses MagnaFlow cats..
The QTP y-pipe comes with the cheaper ceramic Magnaflow cats. I have the spun metallic core cats - way better

i was on summit lastnight looking for the flowmaster merge and saw that the 1 chambers were at $95.00 /each.. DAMN! i bought them when they were $70.00 /each
Yea...I know I have a 3" --> 3.5" Flowmaster merge sitting in a box in my garage I got for like $45 about a year ago. I was going to sell the thing but I think I may just hold onto it for the future. Who knows, maybe I'll need it in 20 years

So it is getting closer jsut have to figure out how to get a quote on my TDs and ship them out.. Got any ideas?
Yea. Send them to me for free. I'll give you $100 for the shipping
Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Dex
You are adding exactly nothing to this thread other than your own personal bitch so change your tampon and leave
You're an idiot. You have no idea my and Jonas' history together. I'm not giving him a hard time. We've spoken about this many, many times before and no one is "bitching." So mind your own damn business on things you don't understand
Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

chaco nice ownage of dex. torched iv read most, if not all, of your threads on exhaust and have seen most, if not all, of your clips, you will come back to us w/ td's and single chambers
Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TA1364
I know the Gmmg sounds pretty deep which is what I want, but how is it better than duels? Your duel setup sounds pretty good to me.
i guess it is not really better than dual, it is more or less how low TDs hang.. that is JMO though..
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

How'd you get a stainless steel Flowmaster merge I don't think they make one?

The QTP y-pipe comes with the cheaper ceramic Magnaflow cats. I have the spun metallic core cats - way better

Yea...I know I have a 3" --> 3.5" Flowmaster merge sitting in a box in my garage I got for like $45 about a year ago. I was going to sell the thing but I think I may just hold onto it for the future. Who knows, maybe I'll need it in 20 years

Yea. Send them to me for free. I'll give you $100 for the shipping

I forgot to put a coma after that statement. The flowmaster merge is NOT SS it is aluminized....

You want to sell me that merge and save me some shipping i can not find a flowmaster 3" X 3" merge... So hooks me up brotha
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dex
He is cool DEX, we talk a lot on tech.. he is the TD nazzi i mean that in a good way Anthony

Originally Posted by LTLRDSS
chaco nice ownage of dex. torched iv read most, if not all, of your threads on exhaust and have seen most, if not all, of your clips, you will come back to us w/ td's and single chambers
thanks man, i know i am crazy for changing it yet again.. but maybe one day i will be back
Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Resident

You want to sell me that merge and save me some shipping i can not find a flowmaster 3" X 3" merge... So hooks me up brotha
Flowmaster doesn't make a 3" --> 3" y-merge AFAIK. Mine is 3" --> 3.5". I actually have both the merge AND a 3.5" --> 3" reducer cone sitting in a box so it really IS a 3" --> 3" y-merge when all is said and done. I feel like I should hang onto it in case I ever decide to just stick with the y-pipe in the future. My setup is far from perfect. It's not SS, it has crush bends and the cutout hangs too damn low. I'd like to cut everything up, put on mandrel bends and the Flowmaster merge, move the cutout so it's in a better place and remove the welds and add clamps...but I just don't feel it's worth the time and money at this point.
He is cool DEX, we talk a lot on tech.. he is the TD nazzi i mean that in a good way Anthony
Thanks. It feels good to be one of those...good ****'s...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

in my opinion and im sure some will disagree, a y-pipe is a y-pipe. worry about the headers and the cats, if u have them. other then that, all y-pipes have basically the same shape and same gain, if any.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps- i have a QTP ypipe in my garage and a custom one on my car
Old 06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwikz28
ps- i have a QTP ypipe in my garage and a custom one on my car
that is why i am custom making a y pipe now
Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that is why i am custom making a y pipe now
you will be much happier. if your lucky your headers will tuck up higher then mine and you will be able to tuck the y pipe up under the car.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
you will be much happier. if your lucky your headers will tuck up higher then mine and you will be able to tuck the y pipe up under the car.
1 more thing, since i got the flowmaster 3" X 3.5" merge, where can i find a 3.5" X 3" reducer?

and do you think that adding the SLP LMI bullet helps with rasp?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive posted a lot of comments on exhaust before.. that comes from putting all kinds of systems on all kinds of different cars with different combos...

GMMG catback is one of the most HORRID sounding catbacks ever made for any vehicle. There is a local guy, i installed his GMMG for him, he later threw on a kooks setup with cats, and put a fairly healthy cam in.. his car sounds like crap. its so sloppy and tractor "plop plop" soudning its ridiculous. the ONLY time the GMMG sounds good is WOT in the UPPER RPM ranges. part throttle and regular driving sounds horrible.

nobody asked... i realize that. what im urging the torched red guy to do is spend a little more time thinking it through, come up with your own muffler combo and have that mandrel shop fab it up for you. do some research on what mufflers sound like what, ask around.. whatever - i just cant imagine you liking the gmmg for regular street driving with the occasional romp.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Resident

1 more thing, since i got the flowmaster 3" X 3.5" merge, where can i find a 3.5" X 3" reducer?

and do you think that adding the SLP LMI bullet helps with rasp?
EAD Performance sells them. They're a sponsor. They come in a 2-pack. I think at the time they were 2 for ~$20. Flowmaster seems to have upped their prices by about 40% though, so they may be a bit more money now.

I would buy the bullet if you are unhappy with your exhaust after the installation. Otherwise, you just may wind up with a quieter exhaust than you want. Also, the SLP bullet is kinda expensive compared to other bullets...but is it SS? If it is, it may be worth it...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the slp bullet does help. i put it on when i had the corsa muffler because it was obnoxious. im taking it off now that i have the slp muffler i dont need it anymore. and it is stainless. imo the spiral flow sounded better though. i had that at one point also. and they make one in stainless or mild steel.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
ive posted a lot of comments on exhaust before.. that comes from putting all kinds of systems on all kinds of different cars with different combos...

GMMG catback is one of the most HORRID sounding catbacks ever made for any vehicle. There is a local guy, i installed his GMMG for him, he later threw on a kooks setup with cats, and put a fairly healthy cam in.. his car sounds like crap. its so sloppy and tractor "plop plop" soudning its ridiculous. the ONLY time the GMMG sounds good is WOT in the UPPER RPM ranges. part throttle and regular driving sounds horrible.

nobody asked... i realize that. what im urging the torched red guy to do is spend a little more time thinking it through, come up with your own muffler combo and have that mandrel shop fab it up for you. do some research on what mufflers sound like what, ask around.. whatever - i just cant imagine you liking the gmmg for regular street driving with the occasional romp.
Ok you must have heard a mis firing LS1 or something. B/C GMMG is the best sounding cat back for an LS1 motor.

I have already once owned GMMG, yes it was stock y and manifolds, but my buddy had Kooks LTs, Kooks Y and GMMG and it was

and it sounds even better with a cam, which i got
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
the slp bullet does help. i put it on when i had the corsa muffler because it was obnoxious. im taking it off now that i have the slp muffler i dont need it anymore. and it is stainless. imo the spiral flow sounded better though. i had that at one point also. and they make one in stainless or mild steel.
do you think i should add a bullet to my set up??? Yes i have a cam
Old 06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

EAD Performance sells them. They're a sponsor. They come in a 2-pack. I think at the time they were 2 for ~$20. Flowmaster seems to have upped their prices by about 40% though, so they may be a bit more money now.

I would buy the bullet if you are unhappy with your exhaust after the installation. Otherwise, you just may wind up with a quieter exhaust than you want. Also, the SLP bullet is kinda expensive compared to other bullets...but is it SS? If it is, it may be worth it...
I will have to look at getting the reducer. yes the LMI is SS

EDIT: Can not find EAD Performance

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 06-08-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
GMMG catback is one of the most HORRID sounding catbacks ever made for any vehicle. There is a local guy, i installed his GMMG for him, he later threw on a kooks setup with cats, and put a fairly healthy cam in.. his car sounds like crap. its so sloppy and tractor "plop plop" soudning its ridiculous.
I have to agree - with ORY, that is. With stock manifolds and cats, it sounds GREAT. When I went to LT's & ORY the rasp and tone were so horrible, I couldn't stand it for a day. Completely embarrassing to drive around like that.

It took a custom Y with FM merge, cats, a medium powerpack (from EAD), and Hooker resonator tips to clean up the sound. The result is a system that sounds great, but was very expensive and is very heavy.

Quick Reply: ***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***