Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
do you think i should add a bullet to my set up??? Yes i have a cam
with a gmmg i would 120% add a bullet muffler. id do a spiral flow if it were mine.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
with a gmmg i would 120% add a bullet muffler. id do a spiral flow if it were mine.
a bullet muffler is a bullet muffler am i right? If not then what is the difference between slp and spiral flow?

BTW i did a search on custom y, your threads came up a bunch and in one particular you said you made the passanger side from your mufflex y pipe, and that you had a 3" X 4" merege.. I was just confused as i am still trying to figure out how to build my custom y....
Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Resident

Problem with a spiral flow is they're incredibly restrictive. I've seen dynos of people picking up literally 50+rwhp by removing a spiral flow from their I-pipe. There was recently a wave of people complaining about how restrictive they are. One person made a post regarding the restriction and I guess a few other guys did the same comparison and were horrified by their results? Who knows...they sound good but they're very restrictive apparently.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Problem with a spiral flow is they're incredibly restrictive. I've seen dynos of people picking up literally 50+rwhp by removing a spiral flow from their I-pipe. There was recently a wave of people complaining about how restrictive they are. One person made a post regarding the restriction and I guess a few other guys did the same comparison and were horrified by their results? Who knows...they sound good but they're very restrictive apparently.
It is a bullet muffler.. should not be restritive at all?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Resident

Spiral flows are the size of a bullet muffler but they aren't. Bullet mufflers are hollow inside and just have a type of sound canceling mesh around inner circumference of them. Spiral flows are kind of baffled. Not sure if that's the right word for it, but it's a spiraled intake path. They aren't hollow like a bullet muffler. All things lead me to believe they're very restrictive.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate the video you posted torched but honestly, if you hear that exhaust just being driven normal and/or revving a little while letting clutch out. Basicly when that exhaust is under a load at moderate throttle but not really at wot it sounds shitty man around 2000-3000. Its the nature of the beast when you just have straight pipes with nothing more than some louvers or whatever in the pipe to knock down the sound.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I have to agree - with ORY, that is. With stock manifolds and cats, it sounds GREAT. When I went to LT's & ORY the rasp and tone were so horrible, I couldn't stand it for a day. Completely embarrassing to drive around like that.

It took a custom Y with FM merge, cats, a medium powerpack (from EAD), and Hooker resonator tips to clean up the sound. The result is a system that sounds great, but was very expensive and is very heavy.
Sound clip please.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ndClips002.flv
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i saw 2 people who had a complaint with them. i think they had something else going on. i made 400 rwhp with one in my i pipe cam only. so it didnt hurt me at all. car picked up 70rwhp with a cam and a spiral flow.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
a bullet muffler is a bullet muffler am i right? If not then what is the difference between slp and spiral flow?

BTW i did a search on custom y, your threads came up a bunch and in one particular you said you made the passanger side from your mufflex y pipe, and that you had a 3" X 4" merege.. I was just confused as i am still trying to figure out how to build my custom y....
that was my old y pipe that i had on my pacesetters. i took it off because i wanted all stainless. and no not all bullet mufflers are the same. id look into making your own merge imo because everything else you have is stainless. that flowmaster merge is going to be the only thing that isnt.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

that was my old y pipe that i had on my pacesetters. i took it off because i wanted all stainless. and no not all bullet mufflers are the same. id look into making your own merge imo because everything else you have is stainless. that flowmaster merge is going to be the only thing that isnt.
That is ok if that meger is not SS.. my car does is not my DD, i ahve only put ~500 miles on the car this year...

What bullet would you recommend then?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

So i was thinking of goign with a powerstick.. it is a bullet with chambers like my GMMG. any thoughts anyone? Is it a restrictive muffler?

Quick Reply: ***My Gathering of QTPs Y Pipe***