Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try a CC exhaust insert?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 09:51 AM
Launching!

Default Anyone try a CC exhaust insert?

It was interesting reading about it. It is relatively inexpensive and can be easily installed at the front of the I-pipe in F-Bods. Sounds like a possible cure for the dreaded ORP RASP that some of us are fighting. I like the fact that your pipe diameter remains 3", so there are no fit issues. The sound clips are rasp-free. Any thoughts?

Exhaust insert info

Mustang rev with insert
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Anyone try a CC exhaust insert?

Yeah...anyone with any experiences? Those sound cool...I wonder if I could put one of these inside a piece of 3" stainless pipe and create pipe "blanks" to replace my SLP cats?? hmmmm...

Old 08-18-2003 | 10:35 AM
Launching!

That's a great idea Lawman. Dynomax makes 6" long reducers in every size, get 2 reducers, drop the insert in, and weld it together.....instant homemade bullet muffler! Cost would be $70 in parts for each for 3" x 12" bullets.
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you see the one with the 3 bolt flange?

Anyone want to try this? If not I will. Im getting some new headers today.
They have 3 disks and 2 disks, Wonder which one to get for the I-pipe?
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:52 AM
Launching!

I am now seriously considering making 2 small 3" bullets for my ORP. It will look like I have cats and God willing, cure my rasp. Did they have a tech line?
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Phone (972) 775-8124, thats all that I can find. Im thinking about getting the 3 disk on and if I dont like it I can cut out a disk... BAD XXX ill wait and see what you find out when you call. Might want to ask them about rasp, see if they think that they can solve our problem. I might be ordering today.
Old 08-18-2003 | 12:25 PM
Launching!

I just ordered a pair of 2 1\2" inserts that will install right into the header connection of my y-pipe. My Bassani y-pipe has a 2 foot section of pipe between the header flang and the mid-pipe. All I need to do is remove it, take it to my buddy with a welder to tack it on, and replace the pipe. Easy installation. Looks like I'm going to be the beta tester for this application. Install is on Sat.
Old 08-18-2003 | 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

XXX,

Kudos to you for beta testing these things...I'm really anxious to hear about them!

Anyone have any thoughts as to how these things would flow as compared to Random Tech cats?

As for the 2 or 3 disk question...I would think the 2 disk version would be the way to go to keep the car loud but eliminate rasp, IMHO.
Old 08-19-2003 | 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I been buggin on those for about a year or so, ever since I saw them in Summit.

One favor to ask of anyone who tries them. Try it on the dyno, a before and after test. I just can't help but think that all that extra junk in the pipes would have to be a significant restriction. Maybe not.
Old 08-19-2003 | 08:58 AM
Launching!

Judd, dyno results are somewhere on their website, HP actually went up. Of course, if I was selling these, that's what I would claim. We shall see. Rasp can be caused by too little backpressure, so there is hope.
Old 08-19-2003 | 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Rasp can be caused by too little backpressure, so there is hope.
Yeah...my brother-in-law is running the loudmouth with a hollowed out cat on his '94 LT1 Formula...that combo redefines the word RASP!
Old 08-19-2003 | 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use a vortex cone, in summit or jegs, 3" size, kills all resp. goes in tailpipes right after the muffler or at the header reducers, whatever is easier for you. They kill all rasp, and no loss in power. Victor from Mufflex.
Old 08-19-2003 | 10:17 PM
Launching!

Vic, I looked hard at these, but I read claim's that they reduce noise, especially at idle, something LS1's don't need. The CC's don't loose as much noise, and they are made of steel, which sounds better in an exhaust, IMO.
BTW: All speculation until they are in.