Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do gauges for non ls1 vehicle???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008 | 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to do gauges for non ls1 vehicle???

I am swapping an ls1 into an rx7 and am running aftermarket gauges. I was wondering how to do an after market temp and oil press gauge, and if I need either of these two adapters and what else i might need to complete this.

the adapter that plugs into the pass head for the temp gauge, what connects to that, a TEMP SENDER? and where do the wires for the gauge come from. this site has the adapter http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/8195...tml?itemNo=ls1

For the oil pressure guage, will these work, and what sender will work with these two items? a part number for the sender would be nice http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4489...tml?itemNo=ls1
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4147...No=gauge%20kit
Old 07-02-2008 | 03:02 AM
On The Tree

anyone????
Old 07-02-2008 | 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The easiest way to run the aftermarket gauges is just like you are figuring. You dont need the stock LS1 oil sender, the pcm doesnt use it. You need to leave the stock LS1 coolant temp sensor, because the pcm DOES need it.

The adapter you linked for the temp gauge goes into the passenger side head. You need to use the correct sender for the gauge you are using. It cant be a very deep sender. Autometer sells both that adapter, and a stubby sending unit it. The wires from the gauge? They come from the gauge... And go to the sender... Its very simple.

The adapter you linked for the oil pressure threads into the stock LS1 oil pressure sender hole. It allows you to install a standard 1/8" NPT sender in. I used a 45* fitting off of that for my sender, beacuse autometer's sender is fairly large. Again...autometer for the adapter and the sender.

You need to make sure the sender matches the gauge. If you bought aftermarket gauges, the senders will come with them.

That other link for the gauge sender line seems like its for mechanical gauges. I guess it would allow you to remote mount your oil pressure sender, but that wouldnt make sense. Its simply a way to connect a -an line between two 1/8 NPT senders/sockets. You shouldnt need this...

This might help ya...everything you need to know about aftermarket gauges and the LS1. Read up on it, and post back up if you have any other questions

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...782&highlight=

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 07-02-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2008 | 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Can you also use these for mechanical gauges?
Old 08-04-2008 | 04:43 PM
Launching!

The water temp sender for my Autometer guage looks like a 1/8 npt.

What is the size/thread of the hole one the head? Is it 1/8 npt?

Is it metric or SAE? Thanks

Is the autometer sender too long, and that's why you need the adapter or is it a different thread?
Old 08-04-2008 | 04:48 PM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is metric. 12mmx1.5 if I remember correctly, but it has been a while.
Old 08-04-2008 | 04:52 PM
Launching!

I answered my own question. The water temp sender is metric 12mm- 1.5 thread size.

Originally Posted by jtl12419
The water temp sender for my Autometer guage looks like a 1/8 npt.

What is the size/thread of the hole one the head? Is it 1/8 npt?

Is it metric or SAE? Thanks

Is the autometer sender too long, and that's why you need the adapter or is it a different thread?
Old 08-05-2008 | 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrecked vette
That one will work, but its made of brass and if you use auto meter gauges or the like you will have to drill out the ID to fit the sender. It will have a very thin wall thickness at this point and is apt to break when installing.

You need to go here
http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/malmettofemp.html

and get the 32MM-12-2. You will still have to drill it out to fit the sending unit and wall thickness will be the same but since its made of steel it will be much stronger than the brass fitting.

This is the only place I've found that offers this metric to NPT adapter manufactured from steel.
Old 08-05-2008 | 04:42 PM
Launching!

Well that sucks... is nothing easy?? Does your comments apply to autometer electric senders too?

Any other gauges that will read off of the stock sender? Or has a metric thread that will fit the hole?

Originally Posted by Weezzer
That one will work, but its made of brass and if you use auto meter gauges or the like you will have to drill out the ID to fit the sender. It will have a very thin wall thickness at this point and is apt to break when installing.

You need to go here

and get the 32MM-12-2. You will still have to drill it out to fit the sending unit and wall thickness will be the same but since its made of steel it will be much stronger than the brass fitting.

This is the only place I've found that offers this metric to NPT adapter manufactured from steel.
Old 08-05-2008 | 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jtl12419
Does your comments apply to autometer electric senders too?

Yes as I was referring specifically to the electric coolant (non-mechanical type) gauge sender. The probe is long and the fitting will have to be drilled out so the probe will fit inside deep enough to mate the external and internal threads together (probe to adapter threads).
Old 08-05-2008 | 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

You'll probably get better answers in the Stereo & Electronics section.
Old 08-05-2008 | 08:28 PM
Launching!

Just to add to the possibilities: Someone add this to the sticky By the way I have L92 heads.

Autometer makes a 12-1.5 metric bushing adapter specifically for their 1/8 npt sensors. part# 2277 I suspect since they make the damn thing (vs. the aftermarket jobbies), you won't have to drill it out. I'm ordering one, will update if this works.

Also, if needed??? they make a stubby temp sender for the later model short sweeps gauges (1995- ) part #2259.

I've been too busy to take my current sender off to check the depth of the hole in the cylinder head, but my current autometer sender = 7/8" from the base of the flange, I suspect with an adapter that will subtract ~3/8", leaving a 1/2" depth requirement in the cylinder head for the sensor. Anyone? know if this is good enough??? I will update when I check this after I get my 2277.

Yes as I was referring specifically to the electric coolant (non-mechanical type) gauge sender. The probe is long and the fitting will have to be drilled out so the probe will fit inside deep enough to mate the external and internal threads together (probe to adapter threads).
Old 08-05-2008 | 08:34 PM
Launching!

Interesting thought...hook up your stereo sytem to announce the temps:

Your water temperature is now 216F... your oil temperature is now 243F....

Your sphincter tone is now 85 mmHg. I'll never have to take my eyes off the track, link it to GPS to announce only on the straights... cool

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
You'll probably get better answers in the Stereo & Electronics section.
Old 08-06-2008 | 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

jtl

please update this when you get everthing. I need the info as well cause I have no gauges in my car
Old 08-26-2008 | 04:54 PM
Launching!

Previous posts are correct.

OK, autometer sells a 1/8 npt to 12x1.5 adapter, but previous posters are correct, the usual senders that come with some of the autometer gauges stick out beyond the thread and do not fit even inside the autometer adapter. You need a stubby sender 2259.

I found a brass one that does fit my sender, but you have to be very careful putting it on and not overtightening or it breaks (how do I know this...).

My phantom gauge reads very hot while idling-- 250F is all it goes up to and its maxed, when my radiator hoses are reading about 180-190F by my non-contact thermometer.

I suspect that that hole is not a good place for "water temp", since its so close to the exhaust manifold--- its more like cylinder head temp, and you need a gauge that goes to 340F.

Either that or my water is to hot.
Old 08-26-2008 | 05:00 PM
Launching!

Weezer, what temps are you registering on your gauge, at that spot?

You need to go here

Quick Reply: How to do gauges for non ls1 vehicle???