Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who all makes1 5/8" tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Who all makes1 5/8" tube headers?

I'm trying to gather info on what companies make 1 5/8" mid length or long tube headers for f body cars. Not much avaliable it seems. I'd appreciate any input anyone can share.

Thanx,
Richard
Old 08-29-2003, 01:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Who all makes1 5/8

i think the JBA (and maybe hooker) 'shorties' are 1 5/8, thats about it..
Old 08-29-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y would u want something so small? i see u mentioned F-bodies and not just LS1's, so do u mean for 3rd gen cars also? most headers made for the TPI engines were 1 5/8", and some for LT1's were, but most if not all for the LS1 r 1 3/4" because of the power they make, a 1 5/8" header would choke it....
Old 08-29-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think mac uses 1 5/8
Old 08-29-2003, 11:44 PM
Banned

I want 1 5/8" headers for my daily driver LS1 car. Why does everyone want such large tube headers for their street cars? 1 3/4" tube size is for engines that live in high rpm at continuous WOT. That's a long way away from my street car. It's a sure bet that the 1 5/8" headers will deliver more torque at lower rpms especially during part throttle cruising which is where my car spends most of it's time. A well built 1 5/8" header HAS to be better than my stock manifolds........

BTW has anyone tried the new Edelbrock headers for fbody LS1 cars? They're 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" with a 3 1/2" merge collector. The price is right too. I can sell them for about $375.00 a set. Too large a tube size for my ride I'm afraid, but for a limited street use high rpm engine it looks like it should make great power.

Thanks for the input guys.

Richard
Old 08-30-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

i think mac uses 1 5/8
MAC's are 1 3/4

Might have to grind some slag out of the primaries
Old 08-30-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I want 1 5/8" headers for my daily driver LS1 car. Why does everyone want such large tube headers for their street cars? 1 3/4" tube size is for engines that live in high rpm at continuous WOT. That's a long way away from my street car. It's a sure bet that the 1 5/8" headers will deliver more torque at lower rpms especially during part throttle cruising which is where my car spends most of it's time. A well built 1 5/8" header HAS to be better than my stock manifolds........

BTW has anyone tried the new Edelbrock headers for fbody LS1 cars? They're 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" with a 3 1/2" merge collector. The price is right too. I can sell them for about $375.00 a set. Too large a tube size for my ride I'm afraid, but for a limited street use high rpm engine it looks like it should make great power.

Thanks for the input guys.

Richard
Actually Hooker has a shorty that's 1 5/8's also. Quailty isn't too hot...but that's Hooker for you. I have Hooker LT's and the quality was lame.

Actually, from what I've learned over the last 4 1/2 years the 98-99 cars get ~ 5-8rwhp with JBA's etc...the 00-02 cars get 0-3rwhp with shorties...not worth it on a bolt on only car in most cases.

BBK has a new shorty that's 1 3/4 that might be worth a little more.

If you go with shorties, bigger Y pipe and better cats will gain a few more rwhp.

Good Luck

BTW I wanted LT's because they make more rwhp & rwtq
Old 08-30-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

1 5/8 headers were made for 5.0 mustangs that made less than 200rwhp... u hafta remember that LS1's make 300+ rwhp, its not the rpms as much as the total power they make...
Old 08-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Banned

The guy I worked with in last years Engine Masters Challenge made over 540fwhp and 500ftlb of torque with 1 5/8" long tubes. I want a header that makes a bunch more torque from 1500-3500rpm even if it cost some hp at high rpm.

Richard
Old 08-30-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats what Ed from Headers by Ed pushes also. He likes the 1 5/8 true equal length with the 2 3/4 or 3" collector about 12 inchs long. Richard, I dont know where you would find a set. I think you would have to make them yourself, or have them made. I think his site is headersbyed.com.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Banned

Thanks DaleMX. I'm familiar with headers by Ed. He's a very smart guy and knows exhaust sytems better than most. Tell you the truth, I've forgotten about contacting Ed. It's now at the top of my "to do" list for tuesday.
He's proven time after time that 1 5/8" long tubes produce better 1/4 mile times than larger headers. I'll be glad to share any info if anyone else is interested.

Richard
Old 08-31-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hy Richard,
I was checking headers out as I have Hooker shorties 1 5/8 but really would like LT's.
I came across new BASSANI 1 5/8 LT's and they look killer!
They come in painted form for around $500 and in ceramic form for round $620.
You can check them out at www.nextgenparts.com.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Hy Richard,
I was checking headers out as I have Hooker shorties 1 5/8 but really would like LT's.
The Bassani's are not longtubes, they're mid-lengths, just like the MAC's, but WAAAYYYY overpriced!!

It still amazes me at all the old-school guys that come on here and say that a 1-5/8" will work better on an LS1. It won't....period! The LS1 heads flow so much better than any standard old school SBC head that a 1-3/4" LT header should be the least smallest size you would run. I would guarantee you that an equal length 1-3/4" LT would creat as much, if not more torque, than the same length 1-5/8" LT on an LS1. The 1-5/8" choke the LS1 heads so much, that the huge bottleneck would just feel like a bunch of torque down low, because it wouldn't making any power or torque in the upper rpm's.

Just go with what's proven, and don't try and re-write the books.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hy Richard,
The Bassani's are not longtubes, they're mid-lengths, just like the MAC's, but WAAAYYYY overpriced!!

It still amazes me at all the old-school guys that come on here and say that a 1-5/8" will work better on an LS1. It won't....period! The LS1 heads flow so much better than any standard old school SBC head that a 1-3/4" LT header should be the least smallest size you would run. I would guarantee you that an equal length 1-3/4" LT would creat as much, if not more torque, than the same length 1-5/8" LT on an LS1. The 1-5/8" choke the LS1 heads so much, that the huge bottleneck would just feel like a bunch of torque down low, because it wouldn't making any power or torque in the upper rpm's.

Just go with what's proven, and don't try and re-write the books.
Man, have some respect. If you read this over again, you will comprende that Rich, like myself do not need and overkill cam and therefore do not need headers the size of a 120mm A1 tank gun.
1 5/8's do make more low end torq., my DYNO # prove it. In combo with a mild cam like a 220 they are great.
Now with your radical, I can't idle cams but I'll scream at 6500+, i'm with you. But that's not for us.
Don't knock the "old school" as you call it, because for your info it is not an 18 year old shmuck that developped the LS1.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO, shorties are just about worthless on an 00+ car. There are no companies that make LT 1 5/8" headers since there would really be no market for them. Honestly, there is no way a 1.625 header will produce better track times in an LS1 thats properly set up. Shoot, most guys have converters that have stall speeds well above the small area where 1.625 headers have an advantage.
Also, I read a review in Hot Rod magazine on headers and sizing where they tested all diferent sizes and types of headers on an average 350ci motor. The tests started at 3000 rpm and the 1 7/8" headers produced the most power from 3000 rpm and up...even over the 1 5/8.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Man, have some respect. If you read this over again, you will comprende that Rich, like myself do not need and overkill cam and therefore do not need headers the size of a 120mm A1 tank gun.
1 5/8's do make more low end torq., my DYNO # prove it. In combo with a mild cam like a 220 they are great.
Now with your radical, I can't idle cams but I'll scream at 6500+, i'm with you. But that's not for us.
Don't knock the "old school" as you call it, because for your info it is not an 18 year old shmuck that developped the LS1.
Who even said anything about a cam? I'm talking about on stock heads and stock cam. Throw a cam into an LS1 with stock heads, and 1-5/8" headers would be even worse than on a stock car!

Why in the world would someone even buy an LS1 if all they plan to do with it is idle around town? If all you're wanting is off idle torque, get an A4 with a big converter.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off Ed will NOT build any headers for the LS1 cars. He has said that he has his hands full with the headers that he manufactures now and does not plan to add any new models unless business really drops off.
Next off I tried to get a 1 5/8 header when I was looking for longtubes. I even contacted the manufactures and everyone just asked why? Why did I want to go against the grain? I would ask them do you have proof that the 1.625 headers will not perform as well as the 1.75 and no one ever did only speculation. I do think that the header design on the F-Body leaves a lot to be desired and will suggest you calling Burns Stainless and checking out the X-Program.
On a side note I would like to see a dyno of LG's headers on a Big LS1 vs the More Perf Tri-Y's on the same engine and see how much difference we see with these styles. The reason that I would pic LG is that I think that they have the best 4-1 header for the LS1 (Vette only) and the Tri-Y is a great design that I have been told was built by Kooks for More.

Later,
Bart
Old 08-31-2003, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I would have gone with 1 7/8 on my car.

Jordan
Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Banned

Who even said anything about a cam? I'm talking about on stock heads and stock cam. Throw a cam into an LS1 with stock heads, and 1-5/8" headers would be even worse than on a stock car!
Some guys like myself drive their cars 100+ miles a day in stop and go Los Angeles traffic. My car is an A4 with stock converter and 3:42 gears. I'm looking for some extra torque between 1500-3000rpm. Headers can be used as a tuning tool to shift power between rpm ranges and I happen to need power at a lower range than most other posters here. Shorties are out of the question. I really don't care what HotRod magazine may have demonstrated regarding header sizing. They don't make money selling guys like me their magazines. Companies that are in the business of making headers are going to make headers for the largest target audience. If no company makes a 1 5/8" long tube, how would anyone know if they don't work?

[/quote] Why in the world would someone even buy an LS1 if all they plan to do with it is idle around town? If all you're wanting is off idle torque, get an A4 with a big converter.

[/quote]

What??? Why would you even make this statement?? Geeez, these cars aren't Ferraries.......chill out guy.
I for one choose not to leave every stoplight at mach ten with my hair on fire or wall paper my office with speeding tickets. Nor does it mean that I don't want to maximize the performance in the power range that the car is most used in.
As I asked in the original post, does anyone know of any company that makes 1 5/8" long tubes for fbody cars?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 09-01-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard, I think a mild converter would serve your purposes well if you want better drivability with FAR better starting line power.

As for the tiny headers, I honestly wouldn't waste my time with them. I'm afraid you'll be sorely dissapointed with them (the stock manifolds are actually pretty good so you might as well stick with them if you're not looking to make more midrange and high RPM power.)

1 3/4" are not considered at all to be for radical LS1 setups. They are what has been proven to work best with stock CI whether it be with a stock cam or an aftermarket cam. 1 7/8" and larger are considered more for large CI and/or high RPM race applications.

I understand what you're looking for and I don't blame you at all for wanting it. I just think you may have been misguided a bit as to how best to go about it.

Quick Reply: Who all makes1 5/8" tube headers?