Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax bullets vs. Sweet thunders in person

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomax bullets vs. Sweet thunders in person

Hey everyone. Im not new to ls1tech, just never registered. Ive been lurking for months lol Anywho I got my car a week ago (2002 m6 ss). It came with a lid and a slowmaster catback. The first thing im doing is getting hooker headers and tsp duals. It is my daily driver but i have another car if its too loud and decide to have them run out the back or replaced. So to get to my question. I know exhaust has been beatin to death on this forum but no threads that i could find answer my question. People say that sweet thunders sound the best. In videos the idle sounds the best compared to dynomax bullets, but in WOT they seem to have this high pitched scream which sounds like **** to me. The bullets seem to sound deep at any rpm. I know most videos dont actually capture the true sound so im wondering if the sweet thunders are really that high pitched in person as the videos show or is that just what videos make them out to be. Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got me some bullets and like them hellllaaaa! Sorry. But no lie.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 AM

Thanks man any opinions are welcome
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 AM
11 Second Club

Bullets will be raspy at lower rpm, but scream at WOT. Bullets will sound better with a lopey cam.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 AM
12 Second Club

I'm probably going back to duals this winter and I'm going with the Sweet Thunders on the TSP duals. Bullets are a "little too much" for me. The ST's sound awesome IMO. Loud, but good.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

i have the TSP true duals with sweet thunders and i can say i love my exhaust. i havent heard bullets except for sound clips so i dont want to rule them out, but i CAN tell you the sweet thunders sound amazing, even at WOT. they were a little violent before the cam at high rpms (very very loud) and still are, but the cam changed the tone just a bit.

you have to be careful with either setup, at WOT im sure it can be heard for a half mile.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my exhaust setup esp. at WOT!! I only heard these once in person and they both sound good. Either route you go the car will sound killer but I have no complains about the SweetThunders... I'm good with my choice.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

I had the Sweet Thunders on my true dual system, and i thought they had a nice muscle car sound to them. They actually gave my car a certain tone, like when you hear a mustang you know what it is. But i didn't like the fact that it wasn't that loud at idle, even with the MS3 cam. So i swapped them out for slp shotgun resonators, but then again im the type of person that wants to be slightly deaf when i get out of my car.
-Joel
Old 08-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
I love my exhaust setup esp. at WOT!! I only heard these once in person and they both sound good. Either route you go the car will sound killer but I have no complains about the SweetThunders... I'm good with my choice.
At WOT does it sound meaner in person? most videos just sound like a high pitched scream.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Anyone else got some input?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

my exhaust is loud when I drive off, etc. but WOT it is definitely awesome. Idling is sort of quiet which is cool with me but while driving and having some fun it definitely wakes up the exhaust. I get nothing but compliments from people at gas stations, etc. Videos don't do any justice for any exhaust setup.. I got some small vids of my exhaust and it sounds like poop on video or barely noticeable. In person it's sick!!

Hope this helps!!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
my exhaust is loud when I drive off, etc. but WOT it is definitely awesome. Idling is sort of quiet which is cool with me but while driving and having some fun it definitely wakes up the exhaust. I get nothing but compliments from people at gas stations, etc. Videos don't do any justice for any exhaust setup.. I got some small vids of my exhaust and it sounds like poop on video or barely noticeable. In person it's sick!!

Hope this helps!!
what im asking is if its really that high pitched scream in person
Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry for semi hijack, but I have a question regarding this as well.

I'm also wondering about that high pitched scream, but I'm also wondering about the actual loudness of the sweet thunders/tsp.

I see people on the forums considering the Borla as somewhat loud but I actually find these kinda quiet, as well as when I ran stock exhaust with cutoff muffler. How loud are these, any comparison that you can make so I can get an idea? If anybody knows, how loud are they compared to a newer mustang(s197) with SLP x/Loud mouths.

I may get the TSP with sweet thunders in the future with long tube, but I just want to know how loud it actually is because everybody seems to have their own idea of "loud", when I found most of these "loud" exhausts mild.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hell Yeah Its Vtec
what im asking is if its really that high pitched scream in person
What do you mean by high pitch, as in a Corvette with a Corsa system? When i had them they sounded pretty good at WOT, nothing to incredibly loud though. Like i said you car will have a certain tone rather than being obnoxiously loud. I can't say much about the bullets since i have never heard them in person. But the sweet thunder mufflers sound real good on an LSx powered vehicle.
-Joel
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO, they sound loud and deep. Inside it's loud when going WOT and you can hear the rumble coming from an outside standpoint

I don't think it's a high pitched scream.. Not annoying to me at all!!

Last edited by DarkhorSe_SS; 08-11-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
What do you mean by high pitch, as in a Corvette with a Corsa system? When i had them they sounded pretty good at WOT, nothing to incredibly loud though. Like i said you car will have a certain tone rather than being obnoxiously loud. I can't say much about the bullets since i have never heard them in person. But the sweet thunder mufflers sound real good on an LSx powered vehicle.
-Joel
i dont like how vettes sound. I dont like it to scream i like it to rumble
Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Aetos
I may get the TSP with sweet thunders in the future with long tube, but I just want to know how loud it actually is because everybody seems to have their own idea of "loud", when I found most of these "loud" exhausts mild.
I am running SLP LTs, custom 3 inch X-Pipe, with SLP Shotgun Resonators at the rear end. Its basically a true dual version of SLPs Loudmouth 1 exhaust system. That to me is a definition of loud, i think the only way to be louder than that is open headers. And even then it will only be slightly louder. The Sweet Thunders will have a tame sound at idle, but will sound nice. Driving and WOT is were the sweet thunders will shine. Only reason i ditched them was because they weren't loud enough for me.
-Joel
Old 08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I am running SLP LTs, custom 3 inch X-Pipe, with SLP Shotgun Resonators at the rear end. Its basically a true dual version of SLPs Loudmouth 1 exhaust system. That to me is a definition of loud, i think the only way to be louder than that is open headers. And even then it will only be slightly louder. The Sweet Thunders will have a tame sound at idle, but will sound nice. Driving and WOT is were the sweet thunders will shine. Only reason i ditched them was because they weren't loud enough for me.
-Joel
How tame at idle are we talking about? Quiet than stock with catback, or just not as loud as you would like? Would the sweet thunders with a nice cam still make a loud and noticeable lope which can be heard at idle? Is their anything you can compare their loudness when driving/wot to so I can by chance find out how loud they are. I want a loud exhaust, but I don't want something so loud that I will go crazy driving it. (I could live with something as loud along the lines of my friends mustang with slp X/loud mouths which is very loud)
Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hell Yeah Its Vtec
i dont like how vettes sound. I dont like it to scream i like it to rumble
On the Corsa website you can hear sound clips of a C5 Corvette with the Corsa Pace Car System. When it gets high in the rpms revving/WOT its definetly a high pitched system. But thats what Corsa systems are known for. Borla is the kind of system that has a deep rumble at idle, and menacing sound at WOT. With Sweet thunders i believe you will get the rumble your looking for, a muscle car style rumble.
-Joel
Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Aetos
How tame at idle are we talking about? Quiet than stock with catback, or just not as loud as you would like? Would the sweet thunders with a nice cam still make a loud and noticeable lope which can be heard at idle? Is their anything you can compare their loudness when driving/wot to so I can by chance find out how loud they are. I want a loud exhaust, but I don't want something so loud that I will go crazy driving it. (I could live with something as loud along the lines of my friends mustang with slp X/loud mouths which is very loud)
Well if running a full system with LTs and all it will definetly be a bit louder than stock with a catback. I just didn't like that they were loud at all, especially with my MS3 cam. Not that you couldn't hear my cam, cause it was obvious that my car was not running the stocker. I just wanted the sound of an alcohol fueled dragster The loudmouth system is good with stock exhaust, im not sure you will like it with LTs. I feel the rasp, drone, and the insane sound will disappoint you.
-Joel

Quick Reply: Dynomax bullets vs. Sweet thunders in person