Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car idling too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car idling too fast

Hey,

I just installed LT headers and y-pipe and now I guess the car is getting too much air. I purchased HPtuners to Tune my car but I was wondering if there was a "quick" fix to slow down the RPM's so I dont bang into Drive. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!

Evan
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Is that all you changed?? almost sounds like a vacuum leak. I don't recall having an issue like this with my header and y-pipe swap.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like I suggested in this thread you posted about the same exact problem https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/972319-just-installed-headers-ory-need-help-please.html

Find out why it's idling too high before you tune it.
You're creating a nightmare for yourself if you do nothing but install headers and a Y, get a high idle and use HPTuners to lower it.
There is a mechanical problem with the car, whether it's a hose off (like the brake booster hose?) or a broken temp sensor, tuning it isn't going to do ****.
Scan it with HPTuners and post the scan file, someone here will figure it out for you..
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i'll go with vac leak
Old 08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

what year car?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jermzz
what year car?
See if you follow the link I put up where he posted the same question, you'd find the year when he said this
Originally Posted by AgentLS1Z
I just ordered HPTuners and I wanna make it a good driver. What I'm asking is when I get the program 1st I have to save my current VCM in a binary file because its a 1998?
Fun chasing links around isn't it?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I agree with 9000th01ss, there has gotta be somthing wrong. By tuning it, it will make the car idle lower but the original problem will still exist.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find the vacuum leak.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
See if you follow the link I put up where he posted the same question, you'd find the year when he said this
If it was the "same question" it wouldn't have a year, now would it? It's not a duplicate thread like I figured. posted there, either.

Anyway, back on topic....

99.9% of the time, it's the EGR tube leaking on the top of the intake. Tighten it. it's something like a 21mm size.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

If it was the "same question" it wouldn't have a year, now would it? It's not a duplicate thread like I figured.
Yea it's not an exact word for word duplicate. It's just the same exact question just with more information, which is exactly my point in posting a link to it. How did you figure out he had a car with EGR? wasn't from one of my posts was it?

So im pretty much a very big newb.. After I installed my headers+ory+SLP LM1 my car is running pretty fast, it settles down to 1000 rpm but fluctuates to 1400 rpm. Is this because its getting too much air? or is it injecting more fuel, running rich? I just ordered HPTuners and I wanna make it a good driver. What I'm asking is when I get the program 1st I have to save my current VCM in a binary file because its a 1998? I dont know what a binary file even is...And what would the file be considered to tune the Air/Fuel Mixture, seeing that that is the problem? or should I lower the Idle???

Sorry for the length but I'm a pretty big newb when it comes to tuning...
I realize this is probably a common problem since its only full exhaust but was wondering if anyone had quick answers...
Any help is appreciated.

Evan
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like I suggested in this thread you posted about the same exact problem https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972319

Find out why it's idling too high before you tune it.
You're creating a nightmare for yourself if you do nothing but install headers and a Y, get a high idle and use HPTuners to lower it.
There is a mechanical problem with the car, whether it's a hose off (like the brake booster hose?) or a broken temp sensor, tuning it isn't going to do ****.
Scan it with HPTuners and post the scan file, someone here will figure it out for you..
This is very good advice!!!!

Originally Posted by 00_transam_vert
I agree with 9000th01ss, there has gotta be somthing wrong. By tuning it, it will make the car idle lower but the original problem will still exist.
Yep
and fwiw, I've had similar idle issues because of exhaust leaks. The ones way down stream in the exhaust system wont mess with your tune, but the ones by the collector, close to the O2 sensor, can really throw things off. I got tired of screwing with clamps, so its welded solid now. No clamps, no leaks, no issues.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea it's not an exact word for word duplicate. It's just the same exact question just with more information, which is exactly my point in posting a link to it. How did you figure out he had a car with EGR? wasn't from one of my posts was it?
I really don't know why you're jocking all this guy's threads, but whatever. I usually dont click links other people post in someone else' thread. I was asking HIM what year it was, not you.

And the EGR had nothing to do with anything you posted, I didn't even read your posts. I figured out it was an EGR car cause he said it's a 98. After 2000, they took it away.

why are you trying to bust my *****? Leave me alone.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

I really don't know why you're jocking all this guy's threads, but whatever. I usually dont click links other people post in someone else' thread. I was asking HIM what year it was, not you.

And the EGR had nothing to do with anything you posted, I didn't even read your posts. I figured out it was an EGR car cause he said it's a 98. After 2000, they took it away.

why are you trying to bust my *****? Leave me alone.
I'm not busting your *****. I answered your question with a quote from a post he put up in another forum here, I did that to try and help people get advice to this guy sooner. Just thought I'd help him, so you'd know, and could add to it. And I thought it was good advice, I never thought of the EGR leaking.
We're all here to help each other out right. Am I trying too hard?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

And then check this out a third thread, same guy, same problem.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/973849-quick-hp-tuners-question.html
In this one he said he stuffed a rag in the egr hole in the intake. So I guess we're all wasting our time here. Now thats bullshit.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

And then check this out a third thread, same guy, same problem.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973849
In this one he said he stuffed a rag in the egr hole in the intake. So I guess we're all wasting our time here. Now thats bullshit.
LMAO, I TOLD you it was the EGR.

That thread was the funniest thing i've read in ages.