Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85mm MAF needed with my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to say it comes without a screen,,,

i have a 85 mm maf, but with a normal lid (SLP),,it fit fine.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ODAWG
HAULIN HAWK, Is that Z06 MAF descreened or does it have a screen and if it does did you take the screen out?
Screened .
Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have serious doubts with the whole larger MAF thing. If you are at a point that the stock MAF is a restriction, then you need to SD the car and ditch it all together.

I've been 9.55@142 with a stock MAF on my car, still have the screen and all that in it.

I've put this out there before, but I challenge anyone that says that the maf/lid and any of that (I'm on a fast 90/90) will show any real gain to send me one and I will track test it and see if it really makes any differnce. This is a 13.5 to 1 compression 402 motor that sees 7200, so if it's gonna make a difference on a stock ci motor, you'd think that it would make alot more of a difference on my setup.

I haven't seen one show up yet, so I guess noone really wants the results to get out.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=JL ws-6;10249577]I have serious doubts with the whole larger MAF thing. If you are at a point that the stock MAF is a restriction, then you need to SD the car and ditch it all together.

I've been 9.55@142 with a stock MAF on my car, still have the screen and all that in it.

I've put this out there before, but I challenge anyone that says that the maf/lid and any of that (I'm on a fast 90/90) will show any real gain to send me one and I will track test it and see if it really makes any differnce. This is a 13.5 to 1 compression 402 motor that sees 7200, so if it's gonna make a difference on a stock ci motor, you'd think that it would make alot more of a difference on my setup.

All valid points there.In my case it worked for me and with near identical da,track temps and 60fts.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys heres a question for everyone saying y upgrade the maf. Do you upgrade the size of your intake manifold? do you upgrade the size of your throtle body? do you upgrade the size of your lids? iif you do all of that why choke it down through that 75 or 78 mm maf? will it be a big gain probably not will it increase overal response probably would it make the entire intake flow more evenly and take advantage of the upgraded system I honestly cant see how it wont. the big question is is it worth the money?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Race your car!

Glad it helped you, but I've thrown that offer out there several times, and noone wants to send me on to put it to the test.

Perfect opportunity to track test the parts on a car that leaves hard and should see a gain if there's one to be had, but noone wants to do it.

That says something to me.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Race your car!

transam98, what kind of a differnce do you think it's gonna make? If I can go 9.5 to 9.6 on any given day, what kind of a gain do you think going to a bigger maf/lid is gonna get me?

I'll safely bet, that it's not gonna even be a tenth or a mph.

Someone want to prove me wrong, I'd happily send you my address, ship the parts and I'll put them on and put it to the test.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

We track test with customer calls all the time for our products. If a product doesn't perform, we revise it or don't bring it to market. Our lid went though several changes before we were happy with it. We also did flow bench testing. Each change costs a lot of money!

Unfortunately, like most manufacturers, we just can't be giving out free parts for testing to people that are skeptical. There are a lot of threads about people that have installed our lid and an 85mm MAF and saw a considerable peformance gain.

Just because your motor is strong through the stock MAF and whatever lid you have, doesn't mean that it will not make more power with a larger one.

You would also need a tune any time you change the MAF so you can't just throw the 85mm MAF on and go.

If you are sincerely interested in purchasing an 85mm MAF and our lid, we can probably work out some sort of a "rebate" on a lid (sorry can't do free) in exchange for some hard, same day track data and written observations. If you are not happy with the lid, we'll let you return it within 30 days as long as you do not damage it. Email us at sales@fasttoys.net and we can chat.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

honestly id figure its not worth more than 1-10hp 10hp being the absolute max. I just cant seem to grasp how people can honestly believe that a strighter more consistent flow of air cant be benificial. I see guys with 100mm lids and 90/90 or 92/92 intake set ups still using stock maf. yes they work yes its a common belief they pose no real harm or set back till 500Hp but honestly 85 mm lid necked down to 75 0r 78 mm maf then back up to a 90 or 92 intake set up it seems that the air is doing alot of wasted movements. all of this gain in air is out the window when NO2 gets involved though. I know with my build I am going to upgrade my maf will it give me uge gains probably not but it should help out in some ways just because the air is flowing straighter and not geting necked down and then expanding out again. I can see how most guys will side with the majority hey money is probably better spent elswhere but there must be a gain to be had somewhere with the upgraded maf
Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
transam98, what kind of a differnce do you think it's gonna make? If I can go 9.5 to 9.6 on any given day, what kind of a gain do you think going to a bigger maf/lid is gonna get me?

I'll safely bet, that it's not gonna even be a tenth or a mph.

Someone want to prove me wrong, I'd happily send you my address, ship the parts and I'll put them on and put it to the test.
If you are going to the LSX shootout i will gladly let you borrow my lid,maf,bellow combo for some runs!!!!I will however need some beers in return!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamsam98
guys heres a question for everyone saying y upgrade the maf. Do you upgrade the size of your intake manifold? do you upgrade the size of your throtle body? do you upgrade the size of your lids? iif you do all of that why choke it down through that 75 or 78 mm maf? will it be a big gain probably not will it increase overal response probably would it make the entire intake flow more evenly and take advantage of the upgraded system I honestly cant see how it wont. the big question is is it worth the money?
In my case i was already runnin a fast 90 with a 78mm tb and lid.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Race your car!

I'm not going to make the shootout again unfortunately, I really wish I could have, but the $ just isn't there for it this year.

Fast toys, shoot me a PM and I will gladly put the parts to the test and report back the findings that's not a problem.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'm not going to make the shootout again unfortunately, I really wish I could have, but the $ just isn't there for it this year.

Fast toys, shoot me a PM and I will gladly put the parts to the test and report back the findings that's not a problem.
Agreed, this car is an excellent test bed. If that stock 2001 MAF is a restriction, then his car will see the difference.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Unfortunately, like most manufacturers, we just can't be giving out free parts for testing to people that are skeptical. There are a lot of threads about people that have installed our lid and an 85mm MAF and saw a considerable peformance gain.
JL is not asking for free ****, he is stating that he would test it for you, and if it gains, maybe he would buy it, if not return it.

I think this would be a good UN-bias opinion.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
JL is not asking for free ****, he is stating that he would test it for you, and if it gains, maybe he would buy it, if not return it.

We sent him a PM with an offer
Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
We sent him a PM with an offer
Very good, I'll be with him at the track so if it does what it supposed to do, you may have some more biz.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

be sure to have a log of the airflow/grams and of the map kpa, before and after
Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

I didnt think my opinion was biased.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by HaulinHawk
I didnt think my opinion was biased.
Not talkin about you.

JL is so much against it, he would be perfect for this.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

i am glad Fast Toys stepped in. This seems like it would be a good test. Espically on that guys 9.5 Trans Am...

I would like to see a report when the testing is done. then this debate will be over. HOWEVER i am going to get an 85mm MAF and a FT 85mm Lid

Quick Reply: 85mm MAF needed with my setup?