Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Silencing Exhaust- A little

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Silencing Exhaust- A little

Well I did get a ticket for modified exhaust luckily I already got this ticket taken care of; but, for the future, I do not want anymore problems. The setup: Kooks LT 1 7/8, custom 3" true dual x-pipe, Magnaflow high flow cats and Magnaflow bullet mufflers (the regular sized Magnaflow mufflers wouldn't fit the rear of the convertible), and some generic slashed round dual tips on each side.
Obviously, I am only going to be able to quiet it down so much without eating into my hp, but I've got to do what I've got to do. Taking out my headers or removing my true duals is not an option though, with that being said... anyone have any ideas on cats, mufflers or even exhaust tips that might help mellow out the loudness? Also, I heard that Borla Intercooled tips may help quiet it down a bit... is this true?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

You can buy dual butterfly valves either electronically controlled from the passenger compartment or rpm activated. It's what I'm doing

Christopher
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I got two cheapo resonators installed after my y-pipe,it didnt quiet it down as much as i had hoped but it did smoothen the tone.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Shoulda handed the cop some earplugs.ROTFLMAO! Must be loud to hear you over their radio, Or maybe he wasnt on his cell phone. Doesnt the guys who did yuor car do exhaust?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

what a dumbass.some cops are just jackasses,you had cats and mufflers,so ...im going to go with the ear plug option as well
Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another set of bullets....sounds like you could fit them just ahead of the tips.

flowmaster one chambers are pretty short too...maybe they'd work

**** my 233 cam with just MF 4x9s isn't even very loud...and i don't have cats.

but in all reality....i find it hard to beleive you are "too loud".
maybe do some reseach on the laws, then find someplace to measure your noise levels. if its legal...tell them to kiss your ***
Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock muffler is working for me fine.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah... I was pretty much appalled that the guy had the nerve to give me a ticket for that. I haven't heard of anyone getting tickets for this in years. The cop was parked right next to the corner that I turned right on, so I guess my low end rpm was too much for him. I got out of it though because vital parts of the ticket were not filled out. I have cats(not gutted) and I have mufflers. Not much more I can do.... but I figured I would look into it. Does anyone know if Borla xr1 mufflers are any quieter than Magnaflow mufflers by any chance?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Wow, thats ridiculous. I live in a town where loud exhaust is actually accepted...I ran open headers on my blazer for a good week and got waves and laughs from local cops...I do live in Arkansas though.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have LTs in Cali, got pulled over, and didn't get a ticket for that? I thought removing cats from stock location was a no no there? I guess another set of mufflers could do it, but that would be hard with amount of room, and also could hurt flow a little. I've never had a problem with my cut out, so I don't know man. Good luck though.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
You have LTs in Cali, got pulled over, and didn't get a ticket for that? I thought removing cats from stock location was a no no there? I guess another set of mufflers could do it, but that would be hard with amount of room, and also could hurt flow a little. I've never had a problem with my cut out, so I don't know man. Good luck though.
Cops can't give tickets for specific vehicle alterations, at least here in California, unless you allow them to have your vehicle formally inspected. They can say you have modified exhaust or illegal engine modifications but that's it. If they say something specific it is very easy to fight in court because they are not mechanics they are officers.... at least this is how it is in Cali, according to several officers from different agencies that I know personally. I just want to tone it down a bit for my own sanity lol..... I think this cop was just having a bad day because I don't know anyone getting ticketed for their exhaust being too loud. I was just wondering if there are mufflers out there that would quiet it down more than my Magnaflows do- it seems though that there aren't.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I run MS4, LT's ORY and Open Cutout. I was approached a few weeks ago, actually. The cop said that I was violating the City Ordinance on Noise Pollution. I asked for his meter....That pissed him off but since I am registered outta state. Nothing he can do. Sad thing is, I was sitting outside an auto parts store waiting on a buddy, wasnt even driving.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and the stock SLP exhaust flows pretty good and is pretty quiet. Just my .02
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beasst8
but since I am registered outta state. Nothing he can do.
Wrong.

You can get tickets for stuff that may be legal in the state the car is registered in but isn't in the state you are currently in with the car or driving through. Tint and exhaust are two of the things that come to mind. However you don't normally see people from out of state getting those tickets.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Drake02
Yeah... I was pretty much appalled that the guy had the nerve to give me a ticket for that. I haven't heard of anyone getting tickets for this in years. The cop was parked right next to the corner that I turned right on, so I guess my low end rpm was too much for him. I got out of it though because vital parts of the ticket were not filled out. I have cats(not gutted) and I have mufflers. Not much more I can do.... but I figured I would look into it. Does anyone know if Borla xr1 mufflers are any quieter than Magnaflow mufflers by any chance?
From what I've heard in person and from people I think the borla would be louder if the mufflers are the same size.

Quick Reply: Help Silencing Exhaust- A little