Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why run a big cam in a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008 | 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Buy what you want not what others say you should. Why be a h8r? Just do the research and figure out what you need for your goals and no one elses. If it's a daily driver meant to just sound bad and use the lower rpms then get a mild cam. But, if your looking at something for the higher rpms of say the track then get the big cam.
Old 10-26-2008 | 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Heck yeah so I should keep the rpm's between 5,000-7,000 on the street all the time to feel that mad powa! What if I'm just rolling off from a redlight and want to nail it, that small cam car might be too far ahead to reel in if I've only got a 2,000 rpm window to make power right? Heck for that matter the stock cam makes better power from 2,000-4,500 than most of the big cams I've seen?
What? Why would you do that? The car will drive fine at normal RPMs. When you decide to race, you can SHIFT. I know, it's a magical, strange concept. If you're leaving from a redlight and want to nail it, you should have an appropriate stall or launch from a high RPM. I know, common sense is tough sometimes.

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
could not have said it better, half of the donkey dick cammed cars get beat on the street by smaller cammed cars b/c their power band is so high that by the time they get there the other car is too many cars ahead and cant be caught.
Yet again, why would they start racing at low RPM instead of shifting to the proper RPM? Whoever does that is a retard!

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
This has been beaten to death. If you're going WOT at 2000-4500rpm, you're doing it wrong and will get beaten no matter what cam. Cams that make impressive low to mid range power belong in heavy vehicles like a truck or RV.

My old heads and mild cam setup made more power and torque below 5000rpm at WOT. The new "donkey dick" setup makes all its gains above that, and extends the usable rpm range. Not only is the newer setup much faster, but the drivability and around town feel at part throttle is near identical.
Finally, someone who can THINK.

Look, I'm not saying a bigger or smaller cam is a good choice. Just that the argument about losing races is retarded since people SHIFT GEARS. Heck, I say if someone has sense they'll use a small cam and go FI.
Old 10-26-2008 | 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

OMG what happends when I race someone from 2K rpms and I shift at 4K.

I wish I had a small cam. than I could do rolls from 40 with bikez and keep it in 5th gear

Last edited by studderin; 10-27-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling durrr
Old 10-26-2008 | 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
OMG what I try to race someone from 2K rpms and I shift at 4K.

I wish I had a small cam. than I could do rolls from 40 with bikez and keep in in 5th gear
ok if this is a DD, then why do you want to spin the motor to 5.5k+ just to feel any power? i understand that the huge cams make some power down low but compared to the smaller/medium cams its nothing.

plus its not all about hp, its about the curve. my curve as well as many other moderate cam owners have very broad curves whereas the huge cams have mountain slopes that really dont begin to pull until your 5k and up.

like i said before, donkey dick cams are GREAT for the track, considering that you spend 99% of the time at very high rpms thus where the big cams shine but on the street its the complete opposite. sure i wind my car out every once in a while but for the moderate driver who isnt looking for the most extreme setup that makes USUABLE power driving around town the smaller cams are the better choice because we dont have to spin as high, and the increased lift on the bigger cams put added stresses on parts which shortens there life big time! why do you people defend the big cams like they are gold? they have no bottom end and hardly any midrange yet u think they are the best for a DD b/c they make the most power? thats retarded.

why dont we compare a car with bolt ons and a small cam vs the same car with same bolt ons and huge cam.....i bet it would be almost too close to call if not dead even but the smaller cammed car will have better street mannors, be easier on parts while still accomplishing the same goal

Last edited by blown03mustang; 10-26-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2008 | 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

230/230 is plenty...look in sig for results...save the big cams for track only cars...
Old 10-26-2008 | 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

i like my 224. big cam guys compliment on the effortless pull at any rpm with no highs or lows.
Old 10-26-2008 | 11:21 PM
On The Tree

OMG what I try to race someone from 2K rpms and I shift at 4K.

I wish I had a small cam. than I could do rolls from 40 with bikez and keep in in 5th gear
i see u have a streetsweeper cam do u dd it?? how is its street manners?? its the cam i plan on getting soon....
Old 10-26-2008 | 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just curious what positive gains you see by running a huge cam such as the donkey dick in a daily driven street car?

What are the advantages in the big cam over say a 224 or 228 duration cam in the midrange of the curve(the part you'll be in most on the street).

thanks

Mark
because i dont race people at midragne(3k rpms) i could give a **** how i pick up there...

same reasons i have a 4k stall and 410s... i want to go fast at wide open throttle.. ms4 helps me do this... i could give two ***** if someone pulls on me half throttle..

i hate this question..
Old 10-26-2008 | 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wouldnt care if i had the fastest car in the world at 1/2 throttle a car that picked up like a stock ls1 at 1/2 throttle..

people who talk about small cams being better for DD just because there is more "usable" power (as in 2-4krpms) are on something... reevaluate why you think that...
Old 10-27-2008 | 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have my donkey dick because it drives like stock at low rpms & I can kick *** when I want to. There is still plenty of power to pass anyone I want on the street. It's not like I'm towing stuff where I really need the low end torque lol.
Old 10-27-2008 | 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ballerchris510
i see u have a streetsweeper cam do u dd it?? how is its street manners?? its the cam i plan on getting soon....
I have a good tune.. mike@NewEra Its great, I drive the car everywhere.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...086&highlight=
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Fast n Furious Voice on- I know why you couldnt hit 4th...."You weren't double clutchin like ya should"
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:39 AM
Jedi Master

I like my "small" cam and I don't street race because I have respect for others on the road.

I went from a 226/228(585 588( to a 220/228(607 600) and picked up power under the curve and even BEAT the top end of my old cam by a couple HP(pretty much matched).

Car is very fun to drive and scoots around well. I never see above 5krpm unless I'm trying to show off to myself and that's VERY rare.
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Do you guys pull trailers with your camaros?

To each his own, but I don't care about climbing a mountain at 1700 rpm and feeling big block torque in this car. I do appreciate that feeling, but the big cam guys (me) are probably more into full throttle, all out racing. With my converter and shift points I couldn't lug the motor below 3800rpm with any throttle if I tried. I shift at 6400 and it drops to 5100, that's all the powerband I need to spank an RV cammed car.

Gas mileage wise? You win, good fer you.
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OMG what happends when I race someone from 2K rpms and I shift at 4K.

I wish I had a small cam. than I could do rolls from 40 with bikez and keep it in 5th gear
I doubt your street sweeper cam is big by todays standards.
Old 10-27-2008 | 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1

.. just ask GT GRILLER and his little 226/226 patriot cam beating a MS3 on the street from a dig..

also, 1BAD02WS6 is running the MTI X1 and pulled on a MS3 and 233/239 cam from a roll!!
Seems to be the case more times than not on the street. A buddies small cam only Z06 ran dead even with another guys G5X3/ported 243 Z06 on the street.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
My old heads and mild cam setup made more power and torque below 5000rpm at WOT. The new "donkey dick" setup makes all its gains above that, and extends the usable rpm range. Not only is the newer setup much faster, but the drivability and around town feel at part throttle is near identical.

If you really want that low rpm punch and torquey feel for a daily driver, go get yourself an L98 3rd gen.
Seems a lot of the daily driver type cars on here still have a stock bottom end such as myself, so does that limit what RPM's I can turn or should I just get a Beck intake and and turn it till the donkey cam peaks at 7,000?
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
u really dont need a huge cam.. just ask GT GRILLER and his little 226/226 patriot cam beating a MS3 on the street from a dig..

also, 1BAD02WS6 is running the MTI X1 and pulled on a MS3 and 233/239 cam from a roll!!
I agree that you don't NEED a huge cam to be fast but there are a lot of variables to who wins the race. You can't just say his car had cam X which beat Joe's cam Z so X is a better cam.

I've outrun a 440 magnum cuda on the street. Is that because of the stock LS1's massive torque that embarrasses big-blocks?
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troopercar
I agree that you don't NEED a huge cam to be fast but there are a lot of variables to who wins the race. You can't just say his car had cam X which beat Joe's cam Z so X is a better cam.

I've outrun a 440 magnum cuda on the street. Is that because of the stock LS1's massive torque that embarrasses big-blocks?
No, but a properly spec'd cam for the combo will always run better than sticking the biggest cam that will clear in a car with stock heads like I see a lot doing. I had that mindset once too though.
Old 10-27-2008 | 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Seems to be the case more times than not on the street. A buddies small cam only Z06 ran dead even with another guys G5X3/ported 243 Z06 on the street.

Did the same person tune both cars?
Old 10-27-2008 | 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Heck yeah so I should keep the rpm's between 5,000-7,000 on the street all the time to feel that mad powa! What if I'm just rolling off from a redlight and want to nail it, that small cam car might be too far ahead to reel in if I've only got a 2,000 rpm window to make power right? Heck for that matter the stock cam makes better power from 2,000-4,500 than most of the big cams I've seen?
slip the clutch more, or in my case just nail it with a big converter :-)

Quick Reply: Why run a big cam in a daily driver?