Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronR
Maybe you guys can learn a thing or two from the experts here while hardcore is down.
Could you point use in the direction of said experts?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
You see.. when Tech started, it was a good source of information. It was started to be a no-bs tech site because LS1.com was becoming a giant lounge area. But then the sponsors came in, needed to help the site run and pay for the server and bandwidth. Then came the rules about what could be talked about and what could be linked. The sponsors thought that since they pay for the site, the site should become their storefront. The admins allowed that for the most part, and more sponsors had to come on and they made more money. Controlling what could be talked about pissed off a lot of people who could no longer talk freely about technical information unless it had to do with a sponsor's product.. no more direct comparisons. What if a sponsor's product wasn't as good as another product who wasn't a sponsor? Nope, off limits now. So people who knew a LOT about technical info left, as the site was no longer what it was when it started. People were making too much money off it. Now what you are left with is like gmhtp online.. one big advertisement. If the sponsors tell you it's good, you buy it thinking it is.. and no one can refute it because they get banned for sponsor bashing. Hey, they can't afford to lose money because a sponsor pulls out, so why not supress good tech info instead? That's why this site is what it is now.
Well said, I never really come to this site unless it's from a link to read a stupid post. It is fun to come a read all the head and cam post though.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Could you point use in the direction of said experts?
Well it's for sure not you! I can't wait until your fav board is back up so you can talk with the experts, lol.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey the guess my dyno threads are full of good info.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2000PewterZ28
Well it's for sure not you! I can't wait until your fav board is back up so you can talk with the experts, lol.
Never said I was an expert, but I'm sure not finding any others here eighter. Deff. been fun reading some of the threads on this site. Thanks for the intertainment.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 214 Likes on 95 Posts

love my Livernois, best bang for the buck IMO
Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,167 Likes on 759 Posts

When Tony and I founded LS1Tech in 2001, it was so we'd have a great place to discuss TECH.

To Kevin's point, there is a line that we try to maintain between having folks discuss their personal experiences, and giving paying sponsors a place to discuss their offerings, and successes.

For the individual user, this is how that line gets crossed. If you post something negative in every single thread about ABC Racing Parts, eventually you will get a warning if you get a nice admin like me hearing about it, or a short suspension if you get someone who is more of a hothead. If you continue after that, you can get a perm-ban because at the end of the day, you are not adding value if we can see that your last 20 posts basically say "I think ABC's stuff is over-hyped crap."

I'd rather that you talk about YOUR experiences, and successes. Just folks on how great your combo is. If it's a XYZ cam then so be it, tell us about it. But if XYZ is not an advertiser, please don't go the extra step of linking their website etc., because chance are a lot of those companies who don't advertise have talked to us over the years and they made the decision not to advertise because they did not perceive the value.

Now sponsors push the line too. They never want to hear the bad news, and so there is a constant dialogue about certain threads, certain users, certain stories. I strive to keep it fair. Our longstanding rule is share your experience, but don't share OTHER people's experience. We don't allow "my buddy's car blew up with their junk" instead I want your buddy to post up in the first person about his experience. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I have gotten involved in situations like that to try to find a middle ground.

But to say that tech is a pure infomercial is mistaken. There are too many companies on here for any one company to dominate any aspect of the scene.

Where I see a bad trend in this thread is to see too much third-hand discussion of various companies' product offerings. We don't like negative third-hand information because anyone can post "well my buddy Bobby ran their heads and the porting broke thru and locked up my engine." Comments like that that are not in the first-person can be poison and sometimes are posted just to disrupt a company's momentum.

I hope my comments clear up our perspective. I'd also say that I don't like the flippant anti-Tech comments in the thread, because my reaction is, if you think the site sucks so much why even post here. We didn't set the site up to just focus on negative stuff, in fact it's the complete opposite. Focus on what works and how it worked for you.

Founder, John Ryan
Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last few days have been interesting here that's for sure. I suspect the interest/post level is about to regress, however. That other site is back up.

I strongly agree that "Third-hand (or 100th hand) comments" aren't worth much, most especially when they are "technical" regurgitations of how things work, or at least how someone imagined engine things work.

Almost everyone has some area in which they know what's what. Most medical docs can easily sort the bovine scat from the nitty gritty when a non-medico spouts about medicine. Same-same for fighter pilots, or **** stars, or Supreme Court judges. It works that way for physicists, and perhaps automotive engineers when they read some of the absurd comments some folks promulgate on "Tech" forums.

The sad thing is that if someone who really knows what's what tries to correct the bovine scat (BS for short), he is just beating his head against a wall. The promulgators of the BS don't want to be confused with facts because their minds are already made up and they will argue their point until the bovines return to the barn. That quickly leads to folks who have a good idea of "how the world works" exiting stage left. They usually don't become hermits, they just change the saloons in which they hang out.

I have noticed that saloons can be fairly choosy about who frequents them by the atmosphere they set and more importantly, by what they allow or don't allow to happen in their establishment. That pretty much goes for online forums/discussion boards from what I've seen.

I like saloons, and sometimes I stop in one for a beer or a bourbon to watch the antics of the "regulars". I'm not much of a bar fighter, so I rarely get too vocal with the "experts". I can't say that personality trait rubbed off onto my male progeny.

My $.02

Jon
Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jon you certainly have a way with words. Haha.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Jon you certainly have a way with words. Haha.

It's the bourbon.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the rare occasion I drink liquor, I love some Crown Royal Special Reserve
Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
On the rare occasion I drink liquor, I love some Crown Royal Special Reserve
We are quickly getting off topic here, but try some Crown Royal Cask 16. It's actually worth the $98 per 750 ml bottle. It's one TMF.

My female progeny (aka Bret's sister) owns a liquor and wine store. Eat your heart out!

Jon
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02b4ccamaro
i have a tr230/224 111lsa cam and i what to wait to install the cam and put some prc 5.3 heads on. so is it worth spending $1200 or should that money be spent else were(like nitrous)
I'd keep saving and get some TFS heads. Or go ahead and get a good set of ported 5.3s. You'll be happy you did. Nitrous can come later.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
My female progeny (aka Bret's sister) owns a liquor and wine store. Eat your heart out!

Jon
I gotta do it... PICS???

And I only say it here because Bret doesn't browse over here. I'm looking to get a cam from him before years end and if he saw that the specs might magically show up at my door as a 195/130 120-4
Old 11-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Default Tr230 and nitrous

I think you guys should look at this thread and what patrick G said about the 230 and nitrous

i quote the G man ......

"Not working well with this cam is a misconception. I had a 230/224 111LSA cam in my '98 SS and it ran great on the spray. Just think of it as a 224/224 cam with the bonus of a little extra intake duration. Everybody likes the 224/224 cam with the spray, so how much can an extra 4 degrees of intake duration hurt? None."

Here's the link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...1-lsa-cam.html
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neil1b
I think you guys should look at this thread and what patrick G said about the 230 and nitrous

i quote the G man ......

"Not working well with this cam is a misconception. I had a 230/224 111LSA cam in my '98 SS and it ran great on the spray. Just think of it as a 224/224 cam with the bonus of a little extra intake duration. Everybody likes the 224/224 cam with the spray, so how much can an extra 4 degrees of intake duration hurt? None."

Here's the link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...1-lsa-cam.html

yeah, i saw that thread as well. like i said, these reverse splits are good cams. thats the best way to look at it. your getting under the curve like how a 224 produces and still getting more up top.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hahaha