Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker's come in

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
My only question would be how did the inside of the intake look? Was it full of oil or all dry?
There was oil residew in the intake, but not loads of oil. It was wiped down, and blown out with an air hose before going back on the car.

Originally Posted by t_raven
If he's burning that much oil wouldn't that can fill up pretty quick?
Thats what i'm thinking. It seems like i'll be having to empty it every 10 minutes.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what i'm thinking. It seems like i'll be having to empty it every 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

>Since the oil is coming from the cylinder heads and not the pcv system,the catch can will not fill up unreasonably fast at all,because thats not the problem.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some people seem to think that IS the problem though, and if it WERE the case, he would hafta empty the damn thing out every 30 minutes of driving!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redtail2426
>Since the oil is coming from the cylinder heads and not the pcv system,the catch can will not fill up unreasonably fast at all,because thats not the problem.
Apparently I have to prove this beyond all reasonable doubt to TSP before I can take any action with changing the heads. Therefore I have to exhaust every piece of advice they have given. I think I'm getting pretty close to the end of that list.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say if the oil is coming from the heads or too much preasure/blow by/oil mistage in the crank case. But if all that oil is coming through the PCV system then a catch can just seems like a band aid to the real problem which i would guess is too much blow by. I can't imagine that it's ok for that much oil to be passing through the PCV system. And if it is then he's gonna have to empty the can all the time. But anyway I'm very interested to see what the problem is, especially give what I posted before about reading that LS engines with a 4" stroke have oil control problems.

I'm just saying that if all that oil is coming from his crankcase then there is a problem that a catch can can't fix.

Last edited by t_raven; 12-10-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
Apparently I have to prove this beyond all reasonable doubt to TSP before I can take any action with changing the heads. Therefore I have to exhaust every piece of advice they have given. I think I'm getting pretty close to the end of that list.
What action are you talking about on the heads? I offered to send you valve seals if you wanted to change them to see if that was actualy the problem. If you are thinking it is an actual guide problem, that is not feesable. I hate to bring some logic into this thread but you are telling me that the GM guide, the same guides that go in every factory casting head produced by GM, are causing this significant of a oil consumption problem. I don't think that is the problem at all. There are thousands of sets of these CNC'd heads being run everyday without an oil consumption problem. If there was a problem with them, we all know it would be all over this forum. I'm thinking the problem you are seeing is a blow-by problem with the short-block and a PCV system not being able to handle it. We had nothing to do with the short-block build nor did we set the PCV up on the car. Sooner or later, YOU have to do something to help the problem rather than pointing the finger and asking for someone to fix the problem for you. I'm sorry for being so direct but I am tired of you blaming TSP for problems with a short-block we didn NOT build.

Jon Reynolds
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me do something about the problem? WTF? I have done something. I have totally upgraded my PCV system which is what TSP said the problem is. LS6 valley cover, New PCV valve, breathers on each valve cover, and tomorrow a new catch can.

I did not say specifically that it was the valve guides. IDK what else it could be since you keep telling me it isn't the valve seals. I think, at this point, I am pretty justified in thinking that there is something wrong with the heads.

YOU and your team at TSP, are the ones who want to keep blaming ME, the builder of my engine, and the machine shop which did the machine work. Just because you didn't build the shortblock, doesn't mean it was put together incorrectly. It was built alongside an identical 383 stroker which was bored exactly the same, rings were filed exactly the same, rotating assembly was balanced exactly the same, and each cylinder was also mic'ed before any rings were filed to ensure that they were all the same diameter. The other engine has no issues with smoking or oil consumption at all. He used Patriot heads and a slightly smaller cam.

If the catch can does not solve this issue, I will be requesting my money back for the heads and I will gladly send them back to you. If it does solve my problems and you were right all along, then I will publically proclaim that I was wrong, you were right, and that you and your team give expert advice and were always willing to help.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We said you need good breathing for your stroker, which you do just like all other strokers out there! I missed where we said that would cure the problem for sure without any doubt. It could very well be that bottom end build!! We've offered to send new valve seals and still leave that offer on the table. I'd love for your problem to be that easy to fix! But to blame the valve guide is absurd and a reach to say the least (being that it's installed and reemed by GM and untouched by PRC other than installed the seat and seal over it).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It could very well be that bottom end build!!
Then please answer this question. Will a bottom end build cause oil to puddle on top of all 16 valves?

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
We've offered to send new valve seals and still leave that offer on the table.
I ordered valve seals from SDPC a month ago so when we got to the point of pulling the intake to replace the valley cover, I would have them just incase.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then please answer this question. Will a bottom end build cause oil to puddle on top of all 16 valves?
>Okay if the bottom end of your stroker was really that bad and the pcv system was carrying just so much oil through your intake that its not even funny,i could see some puddling on your intake valves,but it would have to be real bad, and your car would run like real **** and smoke a LOT.BUT,there is no way it would puddle up on the exhaust valves.I didnt see the exhaust valves in the pics,just the intakes.So if you have oil on all 16 valves,them i am going to say there is no way its coming from the bottom end and the pcv system,but instead the heads.Unless someone can explain otherwise with something thats believable.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

my opinion is i do not think it is a guide or seal problem. In my last heads i broke out 3 guides and didn't have that much oil in it. Also in our race cars we do not run a seal on the exhaust valve at all. It will not puddle that much oil in it. There was also a comment about the rocker arm bolt protruding into the ported runner. I have not seen this on a regular cnc ported LS head. Also do not see it in any of the pics you posted. Seems like you have other problems. The TSP heads do not even look ported into the guide like many other heads are. Unless all the guides(unlikely) are cracked and all the valve seals(unlikely) are damaged i do not see this being your problem. take the free seals and change them and if that doesn't solve your problem. Take the heads off and send them back to TSP and have them checked(or at a local shop). this is more work, but while that is being done I would pull the rest of the mmotor apart and see if there are any others problems that you may have missed in assembly.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

I am the one who assembled this motor and as said above 2 383 strokers were assembled side by side with all the same people doing the work all bores mic'd and all rings filed to fit each cylinder. the differences between the motors were one had patriot 64cc heads with a callies crank and a fast 90/90 and this motor has prc 59cc heads whit a eagle crank and ls6 intake other than that they are identical. the one that has no issues still has ls1 valley cover and no catch can just one breather on the valve cover and has no issues whatsoever no oil usage and runs great. this is not my first ls1 build and i know what i am doing and the honing of the block and filing the rings to fit were done by very reputable shops and i was there to witness the work so it was done right. I am pretty sure the problem with this motor is in the top end not bottom
Old 12-10-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

also the car runs good and feels strong (really strong) just has the oil usage problem and smoking. it has no skip and no other noticable issues.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssman00
also the car runs good and feels strong (really strong) just has the oil usage problem and smoking. it has no skip and no other noticable issues.
from what it looks like i also belive that it is the heads. i know that when tey cncd the heads that the guides wernt touched. i have also seen guides fail in a short amount of time. it happens, sometimes things cant hang in there. that is alote of oil to be picked up by the breather system. it would leave the throttle body preaty black if it is the breather system. how does the throtle body look?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

I was suspecting blow by issues because of the long stroke but I just noticed that it was pointed out that the exhaust valves have oil on them as well. I can't think of any way oil would get in the exhaust ports other than from the head.

I've personally never seen valve guides/seals leak enough to cause more than just a little smoke at start up but I don't think TSP should be so quick to rule it out. And just because so many other heads haven't had a problem doesn't mean that crazy stuff doesn't happen. I'm very intrigued to find out exactly what the problem is.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badmire68
There was also a comment about the rocker arm bolt protruding into the ported runner. I have not seen this on a regular cnc ported LS head. Also do not see it in any of the pics you posted.
They all clearly protrude into the intake runners.

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
how does the throtle body look?
There was a tiny bit of oil residew in it behind the blade.

Originally Posted by t_raven
And just because so many other heads haven't had a problem doesn't mean that crazy stuff doesn't happen.
Exactly. I'm sure all of these brand of heads aren't screwed up, but it is possible that this one set has a problem. I'm not 100% positive yet though.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

This is mind "bottling"
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I feel for you and hope this problem works out to be something simple like the PCV system etc.

This might be a really stupid idea...regarding the PCV system...

Can you disconnet it. Run a tube from it to a milk jug or similar. Start the car. Let it run for a little while. See what volume of oil is puked into the milk jug?

That might give an idea of exactly what's coming thru the PCV line.

Might be quicker than waiting on the catch can to arrive and test.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

Can you disconnet it. Run a tube from it to a milk jug or similar. Start the car. Let it run for a little while. See what volume of oil is puked into the milk jug?

That might give an idea of exactly what's coming thru the PCV line.

Might be quicker than waiting on the catch can to arrive and test.
Catch Can arrives today. It won't take long to test. It would certainly help if the rain stopped though.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

rain all day here FTL, let us know how it turns out dave. ive asked so many people about this and they are stumped. if this doesnt work, ill give the guy who put my bottem end back together a call.

Quick Reply: Stroker's come in