Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got My Custom Cam Spec's

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Read carefully what Patrick said. His first words are "There should be no issues if cam is installed at 107 ICL". Are you going to degree the cam?

dot to dot doesn't necessarily mean it is at that. the .050 specs are generic and the grind will not be exactly at those figures. So it is always wise to degree and check PTVC. Not only will you know what is happening but also you'll benefit from the true valve events that Patrick laid out for ya.

Paying attention to detail on install of cams ensures every ounce of power we so dearely seek is taken out of it.
that is all i was saying just make sure, i wasnt doubting patrick at all, but sometimes cams get cut wrong...i just read a thread the other day where a shop bought an off the shelf cam and it was 4 degrees off...it sometimes happens...

have fun with your install partick speced u a great looking cam ...make sure u degree the cam, it is worth it in my opinion...cheap piece of mind...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Should be no P to V clearance issues if installed at 107 ICL. Your cam with it's XFI lobe on the intake is most likely closer to 232 at .050" and 283ish at .006" in duration (when measured on the cam doctor), making things a little tighter. The 231 LSL lobes are closer to 281 at .006". Also, the IVO (where you run into trouble) is 4 degrees later at .006" than a T-Rex. The T-Rex, while tight, still fits. A 4 degree later IVO gives you lots more breathing room.

I've spec'd over 100 cams in the 230 at .050" range for cam-only applications and none have reported dangerous P to V clearance. Russell should be able to run this cam with confidence.
thanks patrick that is what i wanted to know too...also i thought is was LSK lobes not LSL
Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
that is all i was saying just make sure, i wasnt doubting patrick at all, but sometimes cams get cut wrong...i just read a thread the other day where a shop bought an off the shelf cam and it was 4 degrees off...it sometimes happens...

have fun with your install partick speced u a great looking cam ...make sure u degree the cam, it is worth it in my opinion...cheap piece of mind...
By degreeing the cam you mean lining up the marks on the timing chain?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

No, you use a degree wheel and measure the valve events at different degrees and the results should match the specs on your camcard. Then you know the cam is spot-on!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by krill
No, you use a degree wheel and measure the valve events at different degrees and the results should match the specs on your camcard. Then you know the cam is spot-on!
yup exactly buy a degree kit from summit or jegs, they are around $100…if you throw the cam in and it is off by any amount of degrees u will not know if you just line it up dot to dot, if it is has been cam doctored before you get it then that is the same thing, but you will not know how close ptvc is, Patrick says it will be fine but if you have the kit you can see what exactly it is with a checker spring or claying the piston is another option I recommend both(if leaving the heads on just use the first method)…then if you have a lot of clearance u can opt to use a smaller gasket to tighten up the quench or mill the heads some to pump the compression, to gain even more hp…

bottom line every cam install should be degreed, or cam doctored, also checking PTVC is a good idea too, and just spinning the crank by hand and listening for the valves to hit is not the proper method…
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The cam prolly is from TR. Each TR cam gets a full lift report, so he will know where he stands as far as specs.
Still needs the degree wheel and dial for PTV and to verify on motor as well as adjusting. Bottom line as said, paying attention to details makes etra power, always.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrs1313
and just spinning the crank by hand and listening for the valves to hit is not the proper method…
lol agree

Quick Reply: Got My Custom Cam Spec's