Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Experts Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam Experts Please Help!!

Ok, you can look at my sign and see what I have right now. What I want to know from all of y'all is what would be the best cam for me. Now before you answer, let me tell you the plan so you can help me make an educated purchase.

These are the things I am going to do in March 2004.
1. Install ATI D-1SC supercharger kit with 7 to 8 pounds of boost.
2. 3500 TCI converter with 2.5 STR.
3. Camshaft.
4. LS1 Edit.
5. 42# Injectors.
6. Big Fuel pump.
7. 25 to 50 HP shot from my NX system.
8. Switch From my 3.73 gears back to my 3.23 Stock gears.

These are the things I will not ever do to my car.
1. No way am I going to put headers on it!
2. Remove any of my interior.
3. Remove any of my luxury items like radio, power stearing, A/C.
4. I will not modify my rearend. No Ladderbars, no 12 Bolt. Only slicks.

Here is the goal I want to acomplish and the intended use of the vehical.
1. Be able to max out at 200mph without the juice. This is an ego thing.
2. Run High 11 to low 12 second ET's in the quarter mile (I think I need the juice for this. Turn it on after 4000rpm) AT MY 3000 FOOT ELEVATION TRACK.
3. Still get 20 MPG on the interstate.
4. I drive the car 800 miles a week to work. I live in Odessa, TX and I work out of New Orleans, LA. I work offshore so I drive one way one week then the other the next.
5. Handle as good as it does now!!

So as you see, I plan to keep this car my daily driver. I want to make it a well rounded Sports car. One that is truely fast off the line. One that is truely fast on the top end. One that handles like a sports car. One that still gets great fuel milage (I think anything above 20 mpg is great). One that has all the luxury it came with. One that can destroy any stock Viper, stock Vette, stock Porch, stock Ferari, you get the picture.

Well guys, help me make it happen!

Thanks.
Scott Graham
Old 09-30-2003, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Cam Experts Please Help!!

Your goals are not realistic for a A4 without headers. You can push all of the air you want into the motor. But, if you can't get it out quickly, you will have detonation issues and leave a ton of power on the table.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

What is the reason that you are against headers? Your stock manifolds will be the bottle neck for horsepower. The cam will not fully be utilized with out headers, then the supercharger will really be hurting with out headers. Also, with out a 12 bolt or a 9", you will blow-up every rear end if you run slicks with that estimated power. It sounds like you want to run a marathon, but you are shooting yourself in the foot before it starts.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Header issue is symple. I hait to change my spark plugs now with the stock manifolds on it. I can not imagine how bad it will be with headers. If they make the Spark plug changes worst then it already is forget it. Now if anyone knows of a good pair that actually makes it easier or at least does not make it harder to change the plugs then I am game.

As for changing rear ends. I will only change it after I blow the Stock one out from under it. I know it will eventually go but it will be there until then. What I was getting at as far as the rear end goes is I do not want to modify the the suspention in the rear. I still want the car to go around corners just as good as it does now.

I did not stop to think about the lack of headers will incress the tendency to detonate. That is something I will put some thought into.

And that is exactly why I asked for y'alls opinion on this. I know I can count on y'all to bring up the points I am over looking. Please keep the sugestions coming.

Thanks
Scott Graham
Old 09-30-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no problem changing my plugs with Mac headers, takes about 20 min.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To top out at 200 mph, you will need at least 600 hp. Air drag (or wind resistance) is what you are working against at speeds like that, and air drag increases with the square of your velocity. For example, in order to double a given speed, you need four times the hp.

A 9 inch rear will not change the way your car handles on corners; mine is only 10 lbs heavier than the stock 10 bolt. NASCAR can't be wrong! As long as you don't put a locking differential in it, you will be fine. Track Lock posi in my 9 inch works great on corners.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:00 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you cant have your cake and eat it too. you'll give up hp, mph, top speed, and et's if you dont go with LT's, or at least some shorties. your rear end is gonna go quicker then you think when the hp starts building up, just save yourself the hastle and invest in the 12 bolt. and my plugs are actually easier with my LT's, 1-3-5-7-8-6 are a piece of cake. 2-4 are a bitch for me though.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Honda you will get 40 miles per gallon and you wont have to worry about your rearend snapping everytime you launch. no matter which headers you get plugs aren't the most enjoyable thing to do on an fbody. so might as well free up hp while you are at it with a good set of headers.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Honda you will get 40 miles per gallon and you wont have to worry about your rearend snapping everytime you launch. no matter which headers you get plugs aren't the most enjoyable thing to do on an fbody. so might as well free up hp while you are at it with a good set of headers.
Good one, I prefer German cars over Jap ones. But I am sticking with me American Blood.

Past the pokin a little fun.

I agree with all of y'all. I have not yet tried to work on a 2002 f-body with headers on it. I will look into the Mac Headers. If any one else has any sugestions with headers that you can still change the plugs with, please feel free to tell me.

As for the 12 bolt or 9", I am gathering you can get them to were you do not have to modify the suspention it self. So I can put one under my car and it would work just like the origanal one? Who would y'all sugest to purchase this from? How much do y'all think they cost? Which is better the 12 bolt or the 9"?

Please, don't forget the origanal question. What cams should I be looking at?

Thanks guys!
Scott Graham
Old 10-01-2003, 07:12 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

The plug change is not that bad you will be able to change them in at most 30 min. The second time. They sound awesome. For the cam you would need something like a 218/221 dur @ .52x/.53x on a 114+lsa.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those cam figures are about what I was thinking. More exhaust lift and duration then intake. I was thinking of 112 lsa but I am starting to think 114 lsa might be better for my A4.

Any one else?
Old 10-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Texas, several companies offer 12 bolt and 9 inch rears that bolt in with no modification to the car. I got mine from Moser. 9 inch is better than a 12 bolt because it is modular, meaning you can easily swap out the center section to change the ratio. It is also the stonger of the two. And a 9 inch is lighter if you get the optional aluminum center section; only 10 lbs. more than a 10 bolt. It will cost you about $2500.

As for the cam, get a TR224 114; this is the best street cam IMO. Anything smaller and you are just leaving power on the table for no advantages. Go bigger if you don't have emissions testing. You want a single pattern cam if you're going to have a good exhaust system with headers. Traditional splits are for the SBC or very restrictive exhaust systems. Even consider a TR230/224 if you don't need to pass emissions.

The plugs are easy to change on a GEN III engine compared to a SBC. Besides, you don't have to change them very often at all. 100,000 miles is typical.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

with a supercharger, i wouldn't do a reverse split... i'd use the TR lobes mentioned above in a normal split, 224/230 on a 114lsa... maybe even a tr220/227 on a 116lsa if ur gonna use alot of boost...
Old 10-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Texas, sorry forgot you said you were putting a supercharger on it, go with what he said above^^^ (someday)
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, Sounds good. No, righ now I do not have to worry about emissions. What would be the advantage of going with 116 over 114 or 112 with the supercharger aplication?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Less intake/exhaust overlap with the wider LSA means you are wasting less of your boost. When both valves are open, it just blows right through and out the exhaust.