Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size hole in throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:14 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What size hole in throttle body?

Hey guys, I have a TR 220/220 114 cam, and I was wondering approximately what size hole, if any, I need to drill in the throttle body.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What size hole in throttle body?

Drill it one size at a time until your IAC values as seen on EFILive or Autotap get down in the 40s or so. Or you can watch and see that the IAC doesn't get maxed out with the A/C on. Either way, you should need something less than 1/4 inch. I'm talking about drilling out bigger the stock hole, of course. If you start a new hole, you will want it much smaller, like 1/8 inch.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:34 PM

I don't have atap, any way I can do it without that?
Old 10-01-2003, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you having idle problems? I ran the TR220 112lsa for almost a year without any tuning or drilling my TB.. never set one code with it. You may have problems somewhere else, that cam should be fine in a 6 speed car.

btw.. I still have the stock hole in my TB with the TSP 231/237 cam
Old 10-02-2003, 02:41 AM

Are you having idle problems? I ran the TR220 112lsa for almost a year without any tuning or drilling my TB.. never set one code with it. You may have problems somewhere else, that cam should be fine in a 6 speed car.

btw.. I still have the stock hole in my TB with the TSP 231/237 cam
The car actually idles alittle choppy for the first minute or so on a cold start, but once it gets warmed up it idles great ... I am assuming that might be due to the bigger injectors, but I don't know. I am bringing it to get it tuned one of these days so they will know then, I have just heard alot about drilling the TB out, and was wondering if that was maybe the problem.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car actually idles alittle choppy for the first minute or so on a cold start, but once it gets warmed up it idles great ... I am assuming that might be due to the bigger injectors, but I don't know. I am bringing it to get it tuned one of these days so they will know then, I have just heard alot about drilling the TB out, and was wondering if that was maybe the problem.

If you've just recently installed the cam, give the system a chance to relearn. I test ported throttle bodies, and sometimes it takes a few days of driving before the idle settles down. IMO, hold off on drilling the throttle blade until you really have to.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:13 AM

If you've just recently installed the cam, give the system a chance to relearn. I test ported throttle bodies, and sometimes it takes a few days of driving before the idle settles down. IMO, hold off on drilling the throttle blade until you really have to.
The cam has been in for about a month ... but then I installed the LS6 intake and SVO 30# injectors about a week or two ago, and since then it has been choppy, and my a/f gauge says its REALLY RICH at startup, until it warms up.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you do any tuning after the 30# injectors. If not, you really need to ASAP.

Quick Reply: What size hole in throttle body?