Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamond Piston ring question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diamond Piston ring question?

i just used the -8.6cc dished blower diamond pistons in my 346 LS6 motor build , with the diamond rings,

Diamond uses these same rings on non boosted pistons too. The flat top -2cc valve reliefe pistons also.

what rings are the diamond ones?, i dont think they make there own rings,
I bought the Diamond piston-ring-pin kit new 4 years ago. They might be using Total seal now, but i wonder what they used back then, the rings were in diamond boxes.

I hope i dont have any problems with them, like moly , plasma, coatings comming off etc.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

i order some diamond pistons last July, LS7 specific for 6.125 rod with -3.84cc flat top. They came with Total Seal piston rings.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Restricted User

yeah i heard now they come with total seal rings ,in toatl seal boxes, but i bought mine 4 years ago, and the rings are in square diamond boxes, they could be total seal rings reboxed. I dont know.

are your total seal rings the gapless ones?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

nope not gapless, just regular file fit. Filed for a 150 shot! lol But yeah my rings came in total seal boxes.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are most likely Total Seal rings reboxed. I would recommend however that you think about going to the AP Steel top ring if you are going to run some serious boost. We have done this on anything over 12-15 lbs with great results.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Restricted User

Hi Shane , whats up , i have bought many parts from u, i am using your TR 214/230 blower cam in this new engine.
Its to late the motor is all put together, I didnt know about the AP Steel top ring , But i did ask my motor builder if the rings were good for a street boosted car, He said you want a crome molly top ring i think, we used what diamond supplied. Merkel race engines said the rings that were supplied were good for what i was doing, Street car running Boost up to 15 PSI .

I hope i dont have any problems with my new motor , what do u think,
and who makes that AP Steel top ring , and why is it better?
also i built this forged 346 LS6 for reliabilty , street use , not realy a all out race track engine, but i do want to make close to 700 RWHP
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
FormerVendor

With a proper tune you will be fine with the supplied rings. Total Seal makes the AP Steel rings. They are great for a little added insurance in case of a mishap or a tune that is slightly off. They will take tons of abuse and usually last longer than the piston. You will be fine at your boost and power level. Don't sweat it, just make sure you have enough fuel and a good tune.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Restricted User

ok sounds good, Carmen (vett doctors ) is tunning my car , he tunes conservitave.

Shane whats the difference in the AP ring over the ones i have used? I thought a plase molly, or chrome molly ring should be used, what goes wrong with the rings???
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

There is nothing wrong with the rings you have. They are what is most commonly used. The only thing to watch out for is the tune. If for any reason the car goes lean, the excessive heat generated by a forced induction or nitrous setup will cause the moly coating to delaminate or flake off of the face of the ring. This will cause some nasty blow by...

Shane

Quick Reply: Diamond Piston ring question?