Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Motor (LQX) questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Truck Motor (LQX) questions

I have built 3 engines for "other" marques. But the options have always been limited, and I followed set standards using only a handful of custom parts here and there. Its in the German car area - where all of my experience rests.

But I bought a 2000 Suburban 6L. I love the truck.

I thought it would be fun to build (using some terminology I learned from searching on LS1tech for several days) a 408.

So I was thinking of the best option to build one budget-minded but not dirt cheap would be to buy a running LQ4 or better yet, LQ9, which I understand to have the aluminum heads? - And take what I need and leave the rest.

It seems like a simple 408 would be a 6L LQ block of 2000-2006 or so, and a strong 4 inch stroke crank, and some 6.125 rods. But the pistons are still an unknown. I see no reason to go hog wild on the heads - porting or chamber shaping-wise - I mean it IS a truck, and the way the 4L80E shifts, I would want ALL the power between 2000-5000rpm.

What DO NOT know about is stuff like what length changes may or would be needed on the push rods if I were to change the cam and/or rockers to something more robust. Lifter tick really, really bothers me, so I would probably upgrade most of the valve train so this would be a 100k motor.

Would it be simpler to get some sort of kit from summit or Jegs?

The pistons for the 408 - Is there anything specific on the rod/piston combination I should know about when putting a 408 together other than that I would need a dish that would work with the "317" heads?

The reason I was thinking about buying a running engine is that all the small stuff is there - pickup, oil pan, coils, intake, throttle body - and I think it would really add up the $$ quick to go the other way - GMPP virgin block, new heads, etc. I have always had better luck with seasoned metal anyway when reconditioned properly. Even at 1600 for a moderate usage LQ9, thats 800 for the block, 300 for the heads, it includes all the parts I would need to hunt and peck for.

One other issue is that I understand from reading here that the LW4 that is currently in my truck has a thicker crank flange that attaches to the flex plate for the automatic. I would need to change that out to a thicker flex plate so I could use something like a Callies Compstar or Eagle (is Eagle still crap? I was told long ago that it was) stroker crank in this engine and mate it properly to the 4L80E.

I would assume I would go for forged, as I may wish to run boost later after I beef up the Automatic.

Any comments and advice are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LQ4 and LQ9 both come with aluminum heads with the exception of the 99 model. The LQ9 has flat top pistons with a stronger connecting rod and the LQ4 has dished pistons(Some LQ4's also got the better rods). But since your talking about building a 408 the stock internals don't matter.

If you are concerned with valvetrain noise then I suggest staying away from the aggressive ramp cams. A Comp XE series with the lower lift and less aggressive ramp rates is much quieter. Pushrod length should be measured after all of your upgrades have been installed for optimum results.

There are plenty of sponsors here that sell pre-packaged 408 rotating assemblies. That would be the best route to take to insure the rods and pistons are a match for your bore and desired stroke. Lots of folks here have had good luck with the Eagle products, so I wouldn't be concerned with the quality.

The later model 6.0L's use a spacer between the crank and flexplate instead of the thicker crank flange. So all you need is the spacer to mate the new engine to your existing tranny.

As far as going forged or not... I don't think anyone makes a cast crank for LSX engines.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sort of power are you after?

The 6.0L engines are capable of giving good power with the stock block. They just need the valvetrain up-graded (better springs and pushrods mainly) along with a decent cam and tune.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rods are not stronger, they changed from fixed pin to floating pin design, it was an idea to try to eliminate piston slap.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The LQ4 and LQ9 both come with aluminum heads with the exception of the 99 model. The LQ9 has flat top pistons with a stronger connecting rod and the LQ4 has dished pistons(Some LQ4's also got the better rods). But since your talking about building a 408 the stock internals don't matter.
Okay, thanks. I thought the 2000 I have had iron heads, but I will check again. Even if it does, I would still get a whole engine - or most of one as a base. I want to build to swap out in one day.

If you are concerned with valvetrain noise then I suggest staying away from the aggressive ramp cams. A Comp XE series with the lower lift and less aggressive ramp rates is much quieter. Pushrod length should be measured after all of your upgrades have been installed for optimum results.
I can't say that I was specifically concerned about valve train noise. The cams I was looking at are all mostly truck cams or at least 1500-6000 power cams. So pushrod length is determined after things like cam, lifters, rocker arms and springs?

There are plenty of sponsors here that sell pre-packaged 408 rotating assemblies. That would be the best route to take to insure the rods and pistons are a match for your bore and desired stroke. Lots of folks here have had good luck with the Eagle products, so I wouldn't be concerned with the quality.
I will look into those. I think that sounds better than trying to get it all separately.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sid447
What sort of power are you after?

The 6.0L engines are capable of giving good power with the stock block. They just need the valvetrain up-graded (better springs and pushrods mainly) along with a decent cam and tune.
Valve springs and pushrods. Okay. Cams are all over the place, as I have seen. Power - well, at least a solid 1hp/ per cubic inch at least. Hopefully more. Solid mid range torque and off the line power. I think the 4L80E in the truck mostly shifts at about 5800 rpm.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
The rods are not stronger, they changed from fixed pin to floating pin design, it was an idea to try to eliminate piston slap.
The engine currently in the truck has piston slap. That is part of the reason I want a new engine. Plus, its fun.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only other issue I know of is GM had a thicker rear flange up to a certain year on the crankshaft. I have a 2002 and it came with a removable adapter that is needed for the 4L80E. A car flexplate is needed if a 4L60e is used. The extended rear flange may cause some issues but I am not sure. The truck forum may be your best bet.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Teching In

T
The later model 6.0L's use a spacer between the crank and flexplate instead of the thicker crank flange. So all you need is the spacer to mate the new engine to your existing tranny.

As far as going forged or not... I don't think anyone makes a cast crank for LSX engines.
Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
The only other issue I know of is GM had a thicker rear flange up to a certain year on the crankshaft. I have a 2002 and it came with a removable adapter that is needed for the 4L80E. A car flexplate is needed if a 4L60e is used. The extended rear flange may cause some issues but I am not sure. The truck forum may be your best bet.
It looks like it won't be too bad. From 5.3Jimmy's comments, I can just cheat as you suggest and use the adaptor for my 4L80E.

Quick Reply: Truck Motor (LQX) questions