Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

388 C.I. shortblock from Schwanke

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 388 C.I. shortblock from Schwanke

I wanted to know if anyone is currently or has previously had experience with the 388ci that Schwanke offers. I'm undecided between a 370 and now this motor. I understand the 370 is based of the 6.0 LQ4/9 and the 388 is based of the 5.3 L. I am looking for feedback on the 388, how much power is your 388 holding up? Is the 388 a more N/A friendly motor, or a good forced induction motor?

Trying to weigh out my options on all of the available shortblocks our vendors offer. Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just go straight to the vendor, they have a number don't they ?

I post this because I've seen several people ask about Schwanke built motors and no one ever responds. The few that did respond I remember to be very positive.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Why don't you just go straight to the vendor, they have a number don't they ?

I post this because I've seen several people ask about Schwanke built motors and no one ever responds. The few that did respond I remember to be very positive.
Ummmm, yea... the first thing I did was talk to the vendor. They only have so much information they can provide. I was hoping to hear from the people who use and put together their 388. I tried multiple searches on 'tech for 388 with little to no information found on them. I was hoping someone on the forums had some hands-on experience with this particular shortblock and could provide some feedback on their set-up, power level, strengths and weaknesses, etc...

388 CI guys, please post, thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry the vendor and search can't be more helpful. As I stated before several of these threads about this vendor have already been started without much input. Search sucks too !!

The prices are great, so it would seem more people would be giving them a shot. I guess people just prefer going to the big names with more posted success. HKE, and others like them.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Launching!

allngn c5, thanks for the kind words, I'm going to scratch the 388 off my list if no one on the forums can give me some good feedback on this shortblock. I find it hard to believe that no one has tried a 388 with as good of a price as Schwanke offers on them. Tried and true 370 must be the way to go since that is all I read about here.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem. On the 370 tip, they are very good nitrous motors. Saw a couple setup for 300 shots. Cheap too.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the biggest problem we have had breaking into this marketplace. Everybody wants info, but most of our customers are racers. And they aren't on these boards. I can assure you that we stand behind our products. If there is something obvious that was a failure on our part, we will be fair about replacements or taking care of the situation.
Are prices are so low because we buy stuff in great quantities and we can always find a deal somewhere. We choose to pass on the savings to the customer, but I guess maybe we should just start charging more, trust me, we have had the conversation about that. But it comes down to doing what is right.

Thanks for the input Allgn C5.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
That is the biggest problem we have had breaking into this marketplace. Everybody wants info, but most of our customers are racers. And they aren't on these boards. I can assure you that we stand behind our products. If there is something obvious that was a failure on our part, we will be fair about replacements or taking care of the situation.
Are prices are so low because we buy stuff in great quantities and we can always find a deal somewhere. We choose to pass on the savings to the customer, but I guess maybe we should just start charging more, trust me, we have had the conversation about that. But it comes down to doing what is right.

Thanks for the input Allgn C5.
You are most welcome. Best of luck with business and breaking into the market. A small piece of advice would be to do an lsx shop car. Document everything and post it as you go. That should build excitement amongst the show me the results crowd. Your pricing should have you guys putting others out of business. Again best of luck.

Doug aka allngn_c5
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

I can't comment on a Schwanke 388, but we did race a Schwanke 346 LS1 in the V8 StockCar road racing series in a 2800# with driver, tube frame stock car. This was a forged stock compression 346 long block with unported 853 heads with the GMPP 4 barrel manifold and Holley 650 carb and small racing cam. Despite the relatively mild set up this motor made 495 hp with outstanding torque and power from 3500-6800. Believe when I say they were 495 very healthy horses. The car won multiple races, always ran up front, ran a 2:15.768 at Sebring long (V8 StockCar track record), 2:02 at Daytona on a 95 degree day with a slipping clutch. The car was right at 180 mph in the tri oval with this motor.

I have been road racing for 18 years and this was the BEST all round road racing motor I have ever had.

This motor ran flawlessly right up until the time it swallowed one of the squirter screws out of the holley subsequently cracking the block. We switched carbs in a hurry at VIR trying to make qualifying and failed to check it.

We were so impressed with Tim's motor that we are having him build an LS6 for our
Grand Am Rolex GT Corvette. Many of the Guys running the GTA class in SCCA/V8 StockCar class use Tim's motors and I have never heard a complaint.

"Bosco" Logsdon
www.v8stockcar.com
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a good testimonial !!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by garcr4
I can't comment on a Schwanke 388, but we did race a Schwanke 346 LS1 in the V8 StockCar road racing series in a 2800# with driver, tube frame stock car. This was a forged stock compression 346 long block with unported 853 heads with the GMPP 4 barrel manifold and Holley 650 carb and small racing cam. Despite the relatively mild set up this motor made 495 hp with outstanding torque and power from 3500-6800. Believe when I say they were 495 very healthy horses. The car won multiple races, always ran up front, ran a 2:15.768 at Sebring long (V8 StockCar track record), 2:02 at Daytona on a 95 degree day with a slipping clutch. The car was right at 180 mph in the tri oval with this motor.

I have been road racing for 18 years and this was the BEST all round road racing motor I have ever had.

This motor ran flawlessly right up until the time it swallowed one of the squirter screws out of the holley subsequently cracking the block. We switched carbs in a hurry at VIR trying to make qualifying and failed to check it.

We were so impressed with Tim's motor that we are having him build an LS6 for our
Grand Am Rolex GT Corvette. Many of the Guys running the GTA class in SCCA/V8 StockCar class use Tim's motors and I have never heard a complaint.

"Bosco" Logsdon
www.v8stockcar.com

Thanks for the input Bosco. I really don't think this crowd understands how many LS engines we have done and are in the process of doing. I think we are one of a few race shops in the world that don't have a complete Gen 1 small block chevrolet complete in the shop. All we have is LS motors sitting waiting to go into race cars.

Tony Hunt is running our 6.2L LS3 in his USAC Western Series Sprint car. So far, through 2 races he has set quick time each race and last week he actually took the track record!!!

Anyways, thanks again.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks to everyone for replying, I am simply asking around for reliable comentary on built short blocks from different vendors. garcr4, thank you for input. Schwanke, thank you also for replying, I had already spoken to you, just wanted to know if anyone else had tried the 388, thanks again.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Thanks for the input Bosco. I really don't think this crowd understands how many LS engines we have done and are in the process of doing. I think we are one of a few race shops in the world that don't have a complete Gen 1 small block chevrolet complete in the shop. All we have is LS motors sitting waiting to go into race cars.

Tony Hunt is running our 6.2L LS3 in his USAC Western Series Sprint car. So far, through 2 races he has set quick time each race and last week he actually took the track record!!!

Anyways, thanks again.

Thes are the testimonials that the lstech crowd wants. We like pictures and dyno graphs. Details on the build so we can decide if what you did is for us.

Good luck breaking into this crowd Schwanke !! It will happen with pics, graphs and details on builds. Again best of luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Im in the same spot as OP. Iv been looking at there

5.3L/5.7L 348 Truck Short Block. $1,699.99 and +200 for forged rods.

$1,900 for a forged shortblock is crazy cheap (iron weightr doesnt bother me)

I cant find alot of review in the lsx crowed, but a simple search on google brings up quite a bit of info from them in the circle track crowd (nothing negative)
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I have been thinking about building up a motor to replace my LS1, the 415 iron forged short block from you guys for like 3200 looks to be a hell of a deal.

I agree with the other posters, if you have some race vehicles post some updates from them if they win or something of the sort.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They should make a new section for circle track racing!!! LOL

I will try and do a better job of that.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vettett15
I have been thinking about building up a motor to replace my LS1, the 415 iron forged short block from you guys for like 3200 looks to be a hell of a deal.

I agree with the other posters, if you have some race vehicles post some updates from them if they win or something of the sort.
its on sale right now for $2,999

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...l#post11476431
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

FYI.........The 2007 V8 StockCar V8 GTA champ, Jay Marshall runs Schwanke motors in both of his ex ASA/Delco series road race stock cars and they have been consistently FAST.

Quick Reply: 388 C.I. shortblock from Schwanke