Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads on a budget

has anyone taken a set of stock 241's ported and polished them your selfs and made any gains that would be worth doing?

i am on a really tight budget and would really like to get some more power out of my tv2 cam and if i buy heads they will be the trick flow's because i dont see any other head that makes close to the power those do but they are 2400 bucks and i also need a bigger intake and injectors
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk
has anyone taken a set of stock 241's ported and polished them your selfs and made any gains that would be worth doing?

i am on a really tight budget and would really like to get some more power out of my tv2 cam and if i buy heads they will be the trick flow's because i dont see any other head that makes close to the power those do but they are 2400 bucks and i also need a bigger intake and injectors
I could get you set up with an affiliate of mine out of Poulsbo WA. He could get you where you need to be with those heads. your looking at about 1700 all said and done. this would include big valves dual valve springs and titanium reatiners port, install new vavle seats cut them and guides if needed. and then surface. pm for details. These heads will flow with the best of them (out of the box heads) when hes done. Of course any head can be build wheather its a stock GM piece or aftermarket. but if you want a kick *** head at a price that wont break your bank then shoot me a pm.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I would like to do the same! Dont really think its necessary to buy different heads when these can be ported and polished just as good.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CMR_ls1s
I would like to do the same! Dont really think its necessary to buy different heads when these can be ported and polished just as good.
I agree with you 100% if your looking for say an AFR head out of the box you could spend less to get a stock GM casting ported to flow just as well if not better. On the flip side to that,you could always build aftermarket heads up to be better then thier off the shelf form. I guess if your pocket's are stuffed full of money then more power to you. Most guys just bolt thier aftermarket heads on and go anyway so why spend the money. ya know what I mean?

I'll probably catch some fire for this post. oh well.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen alot of 243's for sale in the parts forum..cheap!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28241
I've seen alot of 243's for sale in the parts forum..cheap!
yes my friend told me about the 243's however wont that lower my compressor because of a bigger chamber?

and thank you for all the responses but i was going to try and port and polish my self i dont even have 1700 dollars to spend plus i like to do my own work and learn how to do things on my car.

would the 243s be a better choice since they may have bigger valves on them? maybe i could deck them to get some more compresson?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Be careful doing it your self if you have never done heads before.Ive seen many screw ups because they go to far or do it incorrectly. Make sure you have some type of templates or guides to go by.Im sure you can buy some from a performance machine shop.How much? I dont know. But if you find some and your heads turn out right send them my way! Id like to learn to but I just dont know whats best for these heads.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Be careful doing it your self if you have never done heads before.Ive seen many screw ups because they go to far or do it incorrectly. Make sure you have some type of templates or guides to go by.Im sure you can buy some from a performance machine shop.How much? I dont know.
Im sure Im preaching to the choir though!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

I must've missed tha part in your opening post where you said you want to do it yourself. I wouldnt attempt it yourself if you've never ported heads before. it's very easy to screw up your heads and make them worse off then when you started.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes my friend told me about the 243's however wont that lower my compressor because of a bigger chamber?
The chamber is actually smaller on the #243 and #799 heads.

241s have 66cc
243/799s have 64.5cc

See here: http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Im sure Im preaching to the choir though!
Originally Posted by 1BadGTM
I must've missed tha part in your opening post where you said you want to do it yourself. I wouldnt attempt it yourself if you've never ported heads before. it's very easy to screw up your heads and make them worse off then when you started.
oh i didn't know it was THAT easy to screw them up i mean you gata learn somewere dont you? and a member just told me someone on the board would port them and install new springs for 700 bucks does that sound ok ? and is it even worth it to port out my 241's thats kinda my real question
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

The 243's will raise your compression about .5 they have a smaller chamber, the 317's have a larger (71.5) chamber and they are the ones that lower it(9.4:1). You can get a set of the 243's or 799's (same thing) for $500-$600 and get about 20 extra hp. I think the valve are all the same size on them but the 243/799 have light weight sodium filled valves. I wouldn't try to do it myself cause what are the chances of you getting all 8 chamber or runner ported the same?

As for spending $1700 you can get a set of the TFS as-cast heads and get great gains and leave room to have them ported latter, but with aftermarket castings you SHOULD (not have to) use a better aftemarket rockers.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
The 243's will raise your compression about .5 they have a smaller chamber, the 317's have a larger (71.5) chamber and they are the ones that lower it(9.4:1). You can get a set of the 243's or 799's (same thing) for $500-$600 and get about 20 extra hp. I think the valve are all the same size on them but the 243/799 have light weight sodium filled valves. I wouldn't try to do it myself cause what are the chances of you getting all 8 chamber or runner ported the same?

As for spending $1700 you can get a set of the TFS as-cast heads and get great gains and leave room to have them ported latter, but with aftermarket castings you SHOULD (not have to) use a better aftemarket rockers.
thanks for the info i didn't realize it would raise the compression i must have been thinking of the 6.0 liter heads not the ls6 heads and does anyone think that a ported set of 243's will def outflow a set of stock ls1's and give me some better air in the engine? i have a high reving torquer 2 thats just dieing for some more air
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to put a damper on your urge to try porting your self. But in nearly every case when a board member with no porting experience has tried to port their own heads the flow numbers they post are usually not worth the time they put into the heads. With porting, bigger is not always better and just cause it looks good to you donen't mean it flows better. If your on a budget I would starting saving and buying parts one at a time. Do it right the first time, or you'll kick yourself later. You will have to have bigger injectors, gaskets and head bolts anyway. Get these things as you find them one at a time. I bought things one at a time through the classified forum. If you keep your eye open you could also score a set of ported or aftermarket heads for consitterably less. Just don't ever buy heads without flow paperwork, and I usually one buy bigger purchases from knowledgable members you've seen around the froum all the time.

Also check out Loyd Elliot. he does porting of LSx heads for very reasonable rates. I had a set of his heads on my LT1 and they performed as well as heads costing twice as much.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
not to put a damper on your urge to try porting your self. But in nearly every case when a board member with no porting experience has tried to port their own heads the flow numbers they post are usually not worth the time they put into the heads. With porting, bigger is not always better and just cause it looks good to you donen't mean it flows better. If your on a budget I would starting saving and buying parts one at a time. Do it right the first time, or you'll kick yourself later. You will have to have bigger injectors, gaskets and head bolts anyway. Get these things as you find them one at a time. I bought things one at a time through the classified forum. If you keep your eye open you could also score a set of ported or aftermarket heads for consitterably less. Just don't ever buy heads without flow paperwork, and I usually one buy bigger purchases from knowledgable members you've seen around the froum all the time.

Also check out Loyd Elliot. he does porting of LSx heads for very reasonable rates. I had a set of his heads on my LT1 and they performed as well as heads costing twice as much.
sounds good thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

honestly i would just mill and port the 241s
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
honestly i would just mill and port the 241s
y is that? the 243s make more compression and can hit higher flow numbers
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Teching In

y is that? the 243s make more compression and can hit higher flow numbers
If you mill the heads it makes the combustion chamber smaller and would bring the compression up. Then you could port them. But like others and I said just be careful.You could find a salvage head and practice.Do what makes you happy.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

or get the 241s ported. honestly if your on a tight budget on a streetcar its not worth gains to have to buy another set of castings especially pricey 243s. the 241 especially when ported aren't that bad. don't get me wrong i haven't done direct comparisons myself but from others results that is my conclusion. for a reference, i have a bit experience porting heads including 241 and 5.3l heads, unfortunately both my pontiac's heads are uncut.

just my .02

Last edited by disc0monkey; 04-21-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
or get the 241s ported. honestly if your on a tight budget on a streetcar its not worth gains to have to buy another set of castings especially pricey 243s. the 241 especially when ported aren't that bad. don't get me wrong i haven't done direct comparisons myself but from others results that is my conclusion. for a reference, i have a bit experience porting heads including 241 and 5.3l heads, unfortunately both my pontiac's heads are uncut.

just my .02
Your right. The flow difference between the two is minimal at best. Stock for stock I would choose the 243s, but if your having them ported, I'd start with 241s because they are half the price or less. 5.3 heads are great if you want a 1/2 point more compression without having the cut the heads, they also are dirt cheap.

Re'